South Sudanese student: The internet wants to get this college student a modeling contract

FreddyCalhoun

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Houston, TX
The internet wants to get this college student a modeling contract

Maggie Parker
Yahoo BeautyOctober 23, 2017

eccc3c2fdb3463eca307d02a40f02c17

Anok Yai (Photo: Steven Hall/SUNK)
A South Sudanese student has accidentally gone viral. Anok Yai was enjoying Howard University’s homecoming over the weekend, when a photographer noticed her and snapped some pics. Before she knew it, strangers were begging the modeling gods to give her a contract.

Yai is a 19-year-old sophomore studying biochemistry at Plymouth State University. “A friend of mine and I decided to travel to Washington, D.C., to attend Howard University’s Homecoming,” Yai, who grew up in Manchester, New Hampshire, tells Yahoo Lifestyle.

They attended Yardfest, Howard’s homecoming concert, featuring performers like Rick Ross and Doug E. Fresh. “After Yardfest ended, I began walking toward the dorms, when a photographer that goes by the name Steve ‘theSUNK’ Hall randomly started taking photos of me,” she recalls. “While he was taking down my information, he said, ‘Today was a good day, and a couple of these photos have the potential to go viral.’ I didn’t really think much of it, so I just smiled and went on about my day.” Little did she know that her photo would indeed go viral. TheSunk shared her photo with his 13k Instagram followers yesterday. The rest is history.

Believe it or not, Yai, who moved to the United States in 2000, has never modeled. “I’ve always thought about modeling,” Yai says. “It’s a dream that I’ve wanted for a long time, but always pushed to the side because of self-doubt and distractions from school. Now I see this dream as something a lot more obtainable.”

The sudden notoriety has been a lot for Yai to process. “All this attention and praise is definitely hard to wrap my head around. These comments took me by surprise.”

Of course, people are already knocking on Yai’s door. “I’ve had a few offers here and there, but I’m keeping my options open for now, before I make a decision on who I want to commit to,” she says. When she does make the big decision, she isn’t going to ditch school. “I definitely want to finish getting my bachelor’s in science, so I would probably finish school online while modeling at the same time; just have something to fall back on.”

She says the best part has been seeing people appreciate her very dark skin, characteristic of Sudanese people. “It makes me feel honored to be a South Sudanese woman. It shows that the standards of beauty are slowly evolving.”

The internet wants to get this college student a modeling contract

Usher-Slides-In-For-a-Pleading-Hug-In-Confessions-Music-Video.gif

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

Marti

Tete status
Daps
Reppin
I wish i was that dark

I remember when another company in the building i worked in hired this gorgeous girl the same complexion as her. She was tall and slimthick. All eyes was on her every time she passed. Men of all races and ages stopped and starred. Alot of women would stare too.

J.E.T.S

Lookahere mayne...
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta/Memphis
Check out these agents hatin' on this Beautiful Black Queen in this thread ya'll... Dark & Lovely!!!...@Anokyai :whew: ...I call for a neg train on @CarbonBraddock

33m5t84.png

Hell neg train on @J.E.T.S and @The M.I.C. bytch ASSES 2!!!...

160zm2w.png

Dark & Lovely!!!...@Anokyai :whew:

:obama:

That nikka @Chubbs ain't even get a neg train for loving trannys and you think your bytch ass got some pull because you're tryna win brownie points for posting a dark skinned chick?

The bytch isn't attractive to me. Sorry. Post a fine dark skinned chick that I like and get out ya feelings you trout mouthed, slew footed, belly dancing faggit. :bryan:

The M.I.C.

The King In The West 👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte - Washington D.C.

Chubbs

History Remembers Kings
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
:obama:

That nikka @Chubbs ain't even get a neg train for loving trannys and you think your bytch ass got some pull because you're tryna win brownie points for posting a dark skinned chick?

The bytch isn't attractive to me. Sorry. Post a fine dark skinned chick that I like and get out ya feelings you trout mouthed, slew footed, belly dancing faggit. :bryan:
Fight me.

J.E.T.S

Lookahere mayne...
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta/Memphis
This nikka @Kavin The 1 been trying hard to win brownie points from the ladies of The Coli and now the militants.

This dude is a manipulating a$$hole... probably trying to reel nikkas in so he can sell some of them lunch table, nursery ryhme freestyles... :mjlol:

I got this nikka all the way figured out.