So this was the worst Hollywood Summer since 1992

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Studios are simply scared to go up against the dynasty better known as Marvel Studios. It's hard to follow up that annual may - june/july money train.

Studios would rather release movies earlier in the year or the fall/winter months with little to know completion.

Other than that you have a bunch of studios simply putting out bullshyt.

Oh...amd nobody has taken will smiths spot.

Lastly, there are no legit a listers making summer block busters.
this post is wrong on so many levels :dead:

lamont614

Superstar
Daps
And another thing is the youth nowadays just didn't grow up like a lot of us did where going to the movies was something you did with your friends constantly.

They're growing up on netflix,youtube etc and they simply have become home bodies. Going to the movies now it's mostly older people I see. I don't see groups of teens like I used to growing up.

Facts

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Warner Bros.’ DC Comics film “Wonder Woman,” the summer’s top movie, grossed more than $400 million domestically by finally bringing a female superhero to the big screen. “Spider-Man: Homecoming,” Sony’s Marvel collaboration, was also a hit. Raunchy comedy “Girls Trip,” from Universal Pictures, collected $108 million by targeting black women. Christopher Nolan’s “Dunkirk” and Sony’s “Baby Driver” proved that original concepts can still draw big crowds to the theaters.

R-rated comedies, usually a reliable source of studio profits, also fell on hard times this summer. Four out of the five major releases disappointed: Fox’s “Snatched,” Sony’s “Rough Night,” Paramount’s “Baywatch” and Warner Bros.’ “The House.” “Girls Trip” was the one exception, notably, after earning critical acclaim.

:mjlol: Who the fukk wrote this shyt? Girls Trip opened big and had legs not because it "targeted black women" but because it was actually funny and stuck to the formula. Black women may help a movie start off with a bang, but in order for it to have legs it has to appeal to a wider base, so fukk whoever wrote this.

Also, what in the hell is original about a WWII film and a movie about a hot shot driver? I get that Dunkirk had multiple narratives and no single protagonist to hang it on, but it's success is largely due to older white men who have been waiting for this particular story to be told. One of the older white men in my writing group has seen it 4 times and he's never seen The Dark Knight.

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
The only people I know that go to the movies consistently are my parents but that's always been their thing.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
They need to change the format and phase out big budget movies.....I'm talking 300 million plus. I think that's where the problem lies, theaters are going more avant garde, exclusive, luxury, but refined. Do the same with movies. Teenagers will be a fading market demographic, more and more.

That said, who gives a fukk? Execs with homes in Santa Monica or the Hollywood Hills, worth tens of millions, at the low level, I don't have much respect or regard for 9/10 of the industry. They are still making obscene amounts of money.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
:mjlol: Who the fukk wrote this shyt? Girls Trip opened big and had legs not because it "targeted black women" but because it was actually funny and stuck to the formula. Black women may help a movie start off with a bang, but in order for it to have legs it has to appeal to a wider base, so fukk whoever wrote this.

Also, what in the hell is original about a WWII film and a movie about a hot shot driver? I get that Dunkirk had multiple narratives and no single protagonist to hang it on, but it's success is largely due to older white men who have been waiting for this particular story to be told. One of the older white men in my writing group has seen it 4 times and he's never seen The Dark Knight.

Yeah i'm sure the 2 remaining 96 year olds from Dunkirk couldn't wait to see this story on the big screen. :nolan:

Be real breh most Americans had no clue of this event in history and the reason it was a huge success is Nolan.

Every movie of his the past 15 years has cleared 100 mil worldwide, he is the draw.

Blankthawtz

90-9-1 Principle
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Land of fukkery
think i only went to see one movie in theaters this year and that was Cars 3...and that was cuz my kid wanted to see it...

these streamin sites gonna bury Hollywood...:mjlol:

Mr. McDowell

The Brotha's Got His Own Money
Daps
Reppin
Jamaica Estates
Studios are simply scared to go up against the dynasty better known as Marvel Studios. It's hard to follow up that annual may - june/july money train.

Studios would rather release movies earlier in the year or the fall/winter months with little to know completion.

Other than that you have a bunch of studios simply putting out bullshyt.

Oh...amd nobody has taken will smiths spot.

Lastly, there are no legit a listers making summer block busters.

You mean Disney. Marvel wasn't a juggernaut like this until they came under the umbrella of the Mouse.

Wall

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Hong Kong
People say since 1992 but honestly Batman Returns had a MUCH bigger impact than anything that dropped this year.

That being said I enjoyed Wonder Woman and Planet of the Apes so it ain't all bad :yeshrug: