PS4 Pro Thread|FAQ, Price, Info

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I'm going to keep my OG PS4.

I'll move that to the office, and then move the Pro downstairs. The Pro will have an upgraded wireless card so hopefully it pulls in better upload speeds so I can start streaming from the console again.

My OG will be hooked up to the ethernet cable and I'll stream with a capture card in the office
:jbhmm:

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I'm going to keep my OG PS4.

I'll move that to the office, and then move the Pro downstairs. The Pro will have an upgraded wireless card so hopefully it pulls in better upload speeds so I can start streaming from the console again.

My OG will be hooked up to the ethernet cable and I'll stream with a capture card in the office
:jbhmm:

My og is going in the bedroom for the kid to play with while the Pro takes its rightful place in the living room.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Inside PlayStation 4 Pro: How Sony made the first 4K games console

The tech session with Mark Cerny was signposted as far back as the PlayStation Meeting at the beginning of September, and it didn't fail to deliver a treasure trove of new information on the hardware make-up of the new machine and the ethos behind it. The highlights are as follows.

• Additional 1GB of DDR3 RAM - used to swap out non-games apps (eg Netflix) from the 8GB of GDDR5
  • 512MB available to developers for 4K render targets and framebuffers
  • Another 512MB utilised for handling a 4K version of the dynamic menu front-end
  • New ID buffer for tracking triangles and objects, opening the door to advanced spatial and temporal anti-aliasing
  • 4K framebuffers either created from simpler geometry-only rendering or more advanced checkerboarding
  • Some developers - eg the developers of Spider-Man and For Honor - producing their own 4K techniques based on four million pixel framebuffers
  • Double the compute units, laid out like a mirror of the original PS4's GPU. Half the CUs deactivate when running in base PS4 mode
  • 2.13GHz CPU and 911MHz GPU in Pro mode, running at 1.6GHz and 800MHz respectively in base PS4 mode in order to lock back-compat with the standard model
  • AMD Polaris energy efficiency improvements enabling more power in a console form factor
  • Delta colour compression technology arrives in PS4 Pro, maximising memory bandwidth. Not seen in PS4
  • Primitive discard accelerator culls triangles from the scene that aren't visible
  • Enhanced 16-bit half-float support
  • Improvements for running multiple wavefronts on the compute units - more work per CU
  • New features from AMD roadmap - the ability to run two FP16 operations concurrently instead of one FP32, plus the integration of a work scheduler for increased efficiency
  • Advanced multi-resolution support for increased performance in VR titles

But surely x86 is a great leveller? Surely upgrading the CPU shouldn't make a difference - after all, it doesn't on PC. It simply makes things better, right? Sony doesn't agree in terms of a fixed platform console.

"Moving to a different CPU - even if it's possible to avoid impact to console cost and form factor - runs the very high risk of many existing titles not working properly," Cerny explains. "The origin of these problems is that code running on the new CPU runs code at very different timing from the old one, and that can expose bugs in the game that were never encountered before."

Yep. Native res maters a LOT less on a 4K display from normal viewing distance (4-6ft from a 55" screen, for instance). I know this well from using 1440p on my 4K display regularly.

The checker board technique also looks remarkable in person. Much sharper than you'd think. Call of Duty looks native 4K in stills (and slightly softer while moving). That was judging from just a few inches away.

Last edited:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The PS4 Pro, as explained by the man who designed it

Sony really wants to clarify a few things about the PlayStation 4 Pro:

First, the Pro doesn't signal the end of video game console generations, even though its specs and launch window fit a pattern that resembles PC or smartphone upgrade cycles more than traditional console releases. Second, the Pro is valuable even if you don't have a 4K TV. Third, though most games on the Pro won't actually be rendered in true 4K, they're still much improved over the standard PS4.

Sony probably feels the need to clarify these points because after it revealed the PS4 Pro in September, there was some confusion over the capabilities and identity of the new console. It was pitched as a mid-generation upgrade that would usher in an era of 4K gaming, but after the scripted presentation, it became obvious that 4K was still out of reach for most developers. At the launch event, we found just one game on the demo floor that actually ran in 4K (that would be Elder Scrolls Online) while others took advantage of the Pro's upgraded guts in other ways. Impressive ways, but not 4K.

He's not exaggerating here either. In a demo this week, he pulled up a scene in Days Gone on two separate Pros and 4K televisions, one of them natively rendered and the other checkerboard upscaled. The images were nearly indistinguishable: The native game was slightly more saturated and the textures in the grass were clearly resolved while the checkerboard grass shimmered slightly in the breeze. However, from three or four feet away, it was nigh impossible to see a difference.

Of course, not all games on the PS4 Pro will use checkerboard rendering or even attempt to hit 2160p. Even games that do support 4K won't always reach their full potential, considering not all players own a 4K TV. For those without a 4K set, Pro games will automatically scale down to the TV's maximum display settings.

Cerny listed a handful of AAA games that prepared for the Pro via various techniques, though nine of the 13 titles on display used some form of checkerboard rendering. Days Gone, Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Horizon Zero Dawn all use 2160p checkerboard upscaling, and most of these titles rely on 1080p super-sampling for HDTVs. Meanwhile Watch Dogs 2, Killing Floor 2, Infamous First Light and Mass Effect: Andromeda use 1800p checkerboard rendering. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided takes advantage of checkerboard rendering to hit variable 1800p and 2160p resolutions while Spider-Man hits 2160p via a post-checkerboard process called temporal injection and For Honor gets there via a similar version of temporal anti-aliasing.
I remember some folks were so vocal trying to simply say it's the same as regular upscalers.  So now Digital Foundry and Endgadget are saying some of the techniques used are very very good in person.

Last edited: