Photos of 19th century Afro-Brazilian Slavery

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
the last census shows that about 50% of Brazil is black/"pardo"

Pardo isn't synonymous with Black, though, which is why you have Preto to denote "Black."

I do agree that our representation should reflect diversity, but that doesn't mean the woman doesn't have the right to call herself brazilian. Especially when our country has a whole region (the south, comprised of Santa Catarina, Paraná and Rio Grande do Sul, where Gisele is from) where the majority of people gonna look like her. And I don't see Brazil splitting from the south ever, so until then she has as much right to call herself brazilian as anyone else. The problem isn't Gisele being out there, it's that people of other ethnicities should also be out there, instead of getting erased by the international media.

Ok you are right. I am sorry.

no.

girls just wanna have funds
Daps
Reppin
BRASIL
the last census shows that about 50% of Brazil is black/"pardo"

:what: The term for black is negro. If they picked negro, they're saying they're black. If they picked pardo, they are calling themselves brown, of mixed descent. Not saying those who picked pardo aren't genetically black, but they aren't identifying themselves as black.

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
This is true, but the real reason that black brazilians are still able to maintain some of their native customs, which was left out of your post, is because of the short life expectancy of the brazilian slave.

Brazil had the most slaves of any slave owning country in history. Thats because the black slaves were LITERALLY, herded, breeded, and worked to death, LIKE CATTLE. The average life expectancy of a male slave was 32, and if they were born a slave in brazil, it was even shorter.

These crackers LITERALLY beat, killed and worked to death ALL BLACK PEOPLES, males and females. They didn't bring wives, if they even had families; so they raped the women (some "wifed" them because there were no women besides the slaves). Seriously they SLAUGHTERED Black men, women and children, like fukking cows. This is because IT WAS CHEAPER TO JUST BUY MORE SLAVES. There was no incentive to treat these slaves like your work force. This is why the brazilian blacks are able to maintain a culture, because there was a fresh crop of new slaves every season.

THIS IS HOW AMERICA DIFFERS. THEY TWEAKED THE WHITE SUPREMACIST SYSTEM TO PERFECTION.

They took lessons from brazil on HOW NOT TO RUN YOUR SLAVES. At one point USA imported so many slaves, that their was more slaves than the white population. They said fukk THAT! Theres to many of these ****ers , they might stage a revolt.

America started to import LESS, and LESS slaves. And started breeding them. without the influx of new slaves, this destroyed any cultural connections among blacks. Then they brainwashed us. Then they controlled the numbers in the black population. Then they created a managerial system of hard labor, and deadly consequences.
fukkING SAD.

DEPLORABLE.

My God I wish the desire to die fighting was brought to their consciousness even if that meant I would never have existed.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Pardo isn't synonymous with Black, though, which is why you have Preto to denote "Black."

Ok you are right. I am sorry.

pardo refers to mixed race (majority are black/white mixes) and light skin blacks
:what: The term for black is negro. If they picked negro, they're saying they're black. If they picked pardo, they are calling themselves brown, of mixed descent. Not saying those who picked pardo aren't genetically black, but they aren't identifying themselves as black.

Brazil is not the US-race differs from nation to nation

for example, in the US she is black
Saana.jpg

this would be pardo in Brazil

FinesseKing

Banned
Daps

They took lessons from brazil on HOW NOT TO RUN YOUR SLAVES. At one point USA imported so many slaves, that their was more slaves than the white population. They said fukk THAT! Theres to many of these ****ers , they might stage a revolt.
Im a little ignorant on this subject but why in the fukk didn't we start crackin heads? A huge revolt at that point could have twisted this country the fukk up for the better.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
majority of pardos are those with significant black ancesty.

Source? I've seen Black Latinos on Henry Gate's DNA show who were majority European plenty of times. I don't buy that pardos are majority anything.

Im a little ignorant on this subject but why in the fukk didn't they start crackin heads? A huge revolt at that point could have twisted this country the fukk up for the better.

They did. Many would revolt or escape into the jungles and build quilombos.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
The president of Brazil told Theodore Roosevelt that the key to solving the race issue in america was to absorb black people into the white race because segregation leads to a strengthening of blacks as they constantly push for power and have to be stomped out over and over again

no.

girls just wanna have funds
Daps
Reppin
BRASIL
pardo refers to mixed race (majority are black/white mixes) and light skin blacks

Brazil is not the US-race differs from nation to nation

for example, in the US she is black
Saana.jpg

this would be pardo in Brazil

I know, man, I live here. But it's a broader term than that.

Here you have a candidate to the presidency, Marina Silva, identifies as pardo.

marina-silva-coletiva-size-598.jpg

Our former president Fernando Henrique Cardoso, also identifies as pardo:

Fernando-Henrique-Cardoso.jpg

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
I don't see what point you are making? Pardos are mixed. You were insinuating that Pardos were majority Black ancestry.
I said there are mostly black/white mixes. We (in the us) would consider that black