FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Saw the movie on Tuesday, I'm considering seeing it again though my initial reaction has not significantly changed. I was surprised the movie had as many political overtones as it did. That being said, many of the film's overtones were very questionable in my opinion, particularly those that concerned black separatism and the larger piece about the third world's relationship to the Western world.

Kilmonger is the most interesting character in the film by far and is also the most problematic. His backstory jumps out for a variety of reasons: He is an American military asset gone rogue with a mission to attain weapons of mass destruction and rally the support of his homeland against America and other Western powers. Sound familiar? I find it curious that no one I'm aware of has directly compared his character to Osama Bin Laden as of writing nor framed the plot in the context of 20th/21st century political upheaval. Kilmonger's character all but personifies Western fears about the manufactured monsters of Western oppression: he is a tragic broken shell of a human who is beyond "reason" and therefore can only be "neutralized" before he does the same to us. The plethoric kill-count he bears on his skin is perceived as tragic insomuch that it's "common sense" that the outcomes of his circumstances (abandoned ghetto child from Oakland) were inescapable. His character presents a false dichotomy that the only "logical" course of action for oppressed people to take when they are militarized is to react to oppressive forces with violence.

The fact that the film draws some of its thematic undercurrent directly from the other Black Panthers makes this oversimplification of the agendas of oppressed people even more disturbing. The Black Panthers were a fully realized political party that believed in self-defense as a means to be seen and heard instead of being bullied into silence. However, as we all know, The Black Panthers' political positions were completely ignored in the mainstream media and replaced with the notion that their sole goal was to "kill white people". They successfully spread this lie by repeatedly flashing out-of-context images of black panthers brandishing guns and getting into shootouts with cops on TVs and newspapers worldwide. The Black Panthers understood that true political equality for oppressed peoples requires them to be able to defend themselves. Even if your agenda is global pacifism, your agenda is only as strong as your ability to ensure the protection of the members of your group.

That being said, why does it never cross Kilmonger's mind to arm the 3rd world with vastly superior weapon technology merely to put them in a position to make demands? To put it another way, if every African country had nukes tomorrow, what western country in their right mind is going to try to bully them in the manner they've been doing for the last 3 centuries? Any country that can adequately defend itself is NOT getting "liberated" by the United States anytime soon, that's for damn sure.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
klaue-black-panther-1038563.gif

This is what YOU took from the movie, not me.

I saw fighting, yes. Unfortunately there's fighting within EVERY COMMUNITY ON THIS PLANET. What I also saw was a unique take on black philosophies and the diaspora, something I haven't seem explored in cinema before. That's what @hex is talking about. Coogler and crew took this 200mil budget and spent it on a mostly black cast to tell a black story. It was about a loss of identity ("they will say you are lost"/"maybe it's them that's lost") and failure of brotherhood (nobu betraying Wakanda and tchaka killing him) and sons having to deal with the mess their fathers made etc.

I saw MBaka coming to help Tchalla and Wakanda when it really mattered and Get Out breh laying down his weapons when shyt got too real.

I even saw a glimpse of love and understanding between TChalla and Erik, before he died. And then TChalla changing his philosophy and expanding to help black communities around the world.

Did it take fighting to get there, YES.

But to walk away from this movie going "this was about blacks killing blacks" is just :gucci: and :mjpls:

They addressed Europeans having stolen African resources in like the third scene of the movie. Shyt they addressed African American leaders getting killed and communities flooded with drugs in the FIRST scene. Then they have an AFRIKANER for the first half of the movie established as having illegally entered Wakanda, stole resources and killed some of their people. The first half of the movie is about them finding this Afrikaner and either killing him or bringing him to justice.

Last but not least, Killmonger is straight from the comics. It's not like they made him up. It's like getting upset at the Joker being in a Batman movie, "look at DC misrepresenting mental health" or Lex Luthor in Superman, "look at them demonizing rich people". Plus all them movies were white on white violence.

LOL. You head it spot on. Bish is so woke that shim sleep deprived and delirious as fukk.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Let's hire this man for BP 2.

Ginger Ninja Trickster is pretty dope, but if the name alone doesn't tell you how....wildly wrong it'd be to have him in it, then well...:usure:

:hhh::mjpls:
If we going for that steez, best just get Chadwick's own 2nd MA trainer, Marrese Crump. He just as skillful, if not greater than and well...you know.....:myman:

:youngsabo::salute:

Last edited:

Achille

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
S.M.B 4 EVER
Ginger Ninja Trickster is pretty dope, but if the name alone doesn't tell you how....wildly wrong it'd be to have him in it, then well...:usure:

:hhh::mjpls:
If we going for that steez, best just get Chadwick's own 2nd MA trainer, Marrese Crump. He just as skillful, if not greater than and well...you know.....:myman:

:youngsabo::salute:

I know Boseman trains with him, I am actually surprised that he's not more involved in the stunts and fight choreography for the solo movie.

MV5BOTZjNzhjMDktMjZjZS00NTUwLWJjNzgtMDY2YzJmMzYyYzExXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMwNDQwNDU@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1333,1000_AL_.jpg

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
They filmed a good portion in Georgia. That apartment building and the basketball court is almost directly across the street from Historic Ebenezer Baptist Church where Dr. King preached. I know it wasn’t part of the movie but the fact he went back to start the center there gave me chills connecting that.

Where at cuz I’m here right now and can’t find the courts?

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Saw the movie on Tuesday, I'm considering seeing it again though my initial reaction has not significantly changed. I was surprised the movie had as many political overtones as it did. That being said, many of the film's overtones were very questionable in my opinion, particularly those that concerned black separatism and the larger piece about the third world's relationship to the Western world.

Kilmonger is the most interesting character in the film by far and is also the most problematic. His backstory jumps out for a variety of reasons: He is an American military asset gone rogue with a mission to attain weapons of mass destruction and rally the support of his homeland against America and other Western powers. Sound familiar? I find it curious that no one I'm aware of has directly compared his character to Osama Bin Laden as of writing nor framed the plot in the context of 20th/21st century political upheaval. Kilmonger's character all but personifies Western fears about the manufactured monsters of Western oppression: he is a tragic broken shell of a human who is beyond "reason" and therefore can only be "neutralized" before he does the same to us. The plethoric kill-count he bears on his skin is perceived as tragic insomuch that it's "common sense" that the outcomes of his circumstances (abandoned ghetto child from Oakland) were inescapable. His character presents a false dichotomy that the only "logical" course of action for oppressed people to take when they are militarized is to react to oppressive forces with violence.

The fact that the film draws some of its thematic undercurrent directly from the other Black Panthers makes this oversimplification of the agendas of oppressed people even more disturbing. The Black Panthers were a fully realized political party that believed in self-defense as a means to be seen and heard instead of being bullied into silence. However, as we all know, The Black Panthers' political positions were completely ignored in the mainstream media and replaced with the notion that their sole goal was to "kill white people". They successfully spread this lie by repeatedly flashing out-of-context images of black panthers brandishing guns and getting into shootouts with cops on TVs and newspapers worldwide. The Black Panthers understood that true political equality for oppressed peoples requires them to be able to defend themselves. Even if your agenda is global pacifism, your agenda is only as strong as your ability to ensure the protection of the members of your group.

That being said, why does it never cross Kilmonger's mind to arm the 3rd world with vastly superior weapon technology merely to put them in a position to make demands? To put it another way, if every African country had nukes tomorrow, what western country in their right mind is going to try to bully them in the manner they've been doing for the last 3 centuries? Any country that can adequately defend itself is NOT getting "liberated" by the United States anytime soon, that's for damn sure.