Mohandas Gandhi's letter to Adolf Hitler, 1939

As at Wardha
C.P.

India.
23.7.'39.

Dear friend,

Friends have been urging me to write to you for the sake
of humanity. But I have resisted their request, because of
the feeling that any letter from me would be an impertinence.
Something tells me that I must not calculate and that I must
make my appeal for whatever it may be worth.

It is cuite clear that you are today the one person in
the world who can prevent a war which may reduce humanity to
the savage state. Must you pay that price for an object
however worthy it may appear to you to be w111 you listen to
the appeal of one who has seliberately shunned the method of
war not without considerable success? Any way I anticipate

your forgiveness, if I have erred in writing to you.

Herr Hitler I remain,
Berlin
Germany, Your sincere friend

CriticalThought

All Star
Daps
Appreciate it breh. I actually already did Good Ole Abe....lol....in Higher Learning, had em shook there too....:mjpls:

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/why-...-to-deport-blacks-after-the-civil-war.281620/

:comeon: Of course the thread didn't do numbers after I showed them the truth, it was backtracking,denials,attacks and slick talk to try and deny what I showed.......:mjlol:

Just read the thread :wow:. Keep shining that spotlight. fukk that it was a long time ago shyt. We're still feeling it today.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
So you think some Indian that said he wasn't going to eat 30 days made the British pack up their bags and leave? You can't be that stupid right?

You're right, I'm probably not that stupid. So there's probably another explanation, isn't there?

The thing that's offending me about this thread isn't that some ignorant internet fools think that I'm stupid, or that Gandhi is a loser. It's that you all are disrespecting Martin Luther King Jr., Langston Hughes, Nelson Mandela, Booker T. Washington, John Tengo Jabavu, Marcus Garvey, Jomo Kenyatta, Paul Robeson, George Washington Carver, Aminu Kano, Nnamdi Azikiwe, Kwame Nkrumah, and I could go on and on and on.

Those were REAL men who lived the same time Gandhi lived, saw exactly who he was and what he as doing, and mad respected him. These are the guys who actually talked to Gandhi, actually read what he had to say, and actually LIVED IT OUT to work towards freedom in their own countries. I can't even come close to stanning Gandhi to the degree that they did. So why don't you stop disrespecting your elders and try to actually learn enough history to understand why THEY said the things they did about Gandhi and followed in his footsteps.

Well, one major difference is that Native Americans are now a tiny minority. In Gandhi's case, the Indians were the majority population in their own country, and the British were a small minority. When the Indians went on strike, or boycotted British products, or marched, or did civil disobedience, it had a massive effect.

Exactly. Gandhi didn't go on hunger strikes to scare the British - he went on hunger strikes to galvanize the Indian population and get them moving in one direction. When they, as a mass, stopped working, stopped following British laws, stopped using British products, stopping making the British system run...that's when Britain realized that they didn't have control over the country anymore and trying to maintain power was becoming a bigger problem than it was worth.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
....:mjpls:

Mohandas Gandhi's letter to Adolf Hitler, 1939

As at Wardha
C.P.

India.
23.7.'39.

Dear friend,

Friends have been urging me to write to you for the sake
of humanity. But I have resisted their request, because of
the feeling that any letter from me would be an impertinence.
Something tells me that I must not calculate and that I must
make my appeal for whatever it may be worth.

It is cuite clear that you are today the one person in
the world who can prevent a war which may reduce humanity to
the savage state. Must you pay that price for an object
however worthy it may appear to you to be w111 you listen to
the appeal of one who has seliberately shunned the method of
war not without considerable success? Any way I anticipate

your forgiveness, if I have erred in writing to you.

Herr Hitler I remain,
Berlin
Germany, Your sincere friend

"I wasn't going to write to you because I didn't think it would do a lick of good, but I'm going to throw caution to the wind because trying to do something is better than doing nothing.

I know you're about to start a war, and I know you think it's a good thing, but I promise you that I've seen far more success without war.

I'm trying to be nice - if you want to listen to me, it's your call."

I did a little bit of translation for anyone with poor reading comprehension. How the fukk is posting this letter supposed to be a strike against Gandhi? Like Gandhi himself acknowledges, the letter didn't have a chance in hell of succeeding, but in what world is trying to stop Hitler from starting WW2 a bad thing?

Roland Coltrane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
AA GANG
You're right, I'm probably not that stupid. So there's probably another explanation, isn't there?

The thing that's offending me about this thread isn't that some ignorant internet fools think that I'm stupid, or that Gandhi is a loser. It's that you all are disrespecting Martin Luther King Jr., Langston Hughes, Nelson Mandela, Booker T. Washington, John Tengo Jabavu, Marcus Garvey, Jomo Kenyatta, Paul Robeson, George Washington Carver, Aminu Kano, Nnamdi Azikiwe, Kwame Nkrumah, and I could go on and on and on.

Those were REAL men who lived the same time Gandhi lived, saw exactly who he was and what he as doing, and mad respected him. These are the guys who actually talked to Gandhi, actually read what he had to say, and actually LIVED IT OUT to work towards freedom in their own countries. I can't even come close to stanning Gandhi to the degree that they did. So why don't you stop disrespecting your elders and try to actually learn enough history to understand why THEY said the things they did about Gandhi and followed in his footsteps.

Exactly. Gandhi didn't go on hunger strikes to scare the British - he went on hunger strikes to galvanize the Indian population and get them moving in one direction. When they, as a mass, stopped working, stopped following British laws, stopped using British products, stopping making the British system run...that's when Britain realized that they didn't have control over the country anymore and trying to maintain power was becoming a bigger problem than it was worth.

FOH with this hearsay b

:camby:

he had nikkas in his own backyard and shytted on them.
I bring up a legitimate, pertinent question and you ignore it just to continue to Stan for him. it's all fine and dandy if you have an agenda(obviously you do) but you can't just ignore shyt when it doesn't suit your worldview.
:aicmon:

and I don't give a flying fukk WHO cosigned him, they prolly didn't know the way he was doing dirt to the dark skinned folks in his own country.
:shaq2:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
the issue, for me and others, is that he was SOOOOOOO specific and pointed in his disdain for Black people, and he used the newspaper he wrote for as a soapbox to drag us through the fukking mud in order to please cacs. None of anyhing you have presented qualfies as enough of rectifying that shyt.

Then that's your own butt-hurtness speaking. Gandhi was racist when he was a young man, when it was the freaking 1800s and his entire knowledge of Black people came from the British telling him about African savages. Then he started meeting real Black people, saw them entering the struggle alongside him, read books that convinced him that they were not inferior at all, and he changed his ways completely a good 40 years before he died.

Our Black and African heroes of Gandhi's era understood this. They knew that anyone coming out of the British system was going to start out racist, and thy celebrated when someone threw off those chains and rejected it.

But you apparently come out of the butt-hurt "offense" generation, while maintaining your offense for what someone said a hundred years before you were born is more important than recognizing that they changed and did a shytload of good for the cause in the end.

secondly, what about his views on the Black Dravidians of India? "Why didn't he do anything for them?"-Dr. Umar

"The greatest crime committed by Gandhi against the Black Race was to deny the Black Untouchables of India separate electorates and sabotaging the plan to emancipiate Untouchables :
" In the Round Table Conference held in 1932, the then British Government accepted the demand of the Dalits for separate electorate. The basis of that demand was the fact that the Dalit are not Hindu but a separate nation. Gandhi started his 'fast unto death' against that plan and sabotaged it. It was a thunderous blow to the cause of the emancipation of the Dalit."
-- [ Gandhi_U ]
Indeed, Gandhi displayed a marked bias against the Black Untouchables :
" In 1933, he established Harijan (Dalit) Sevak Sangh for the welfare of the Untouchables (Dalits). But when there was a demand for the representation of the Untouchables on the Governing Board of the institution, he flatly refused it. He disapproved appointment of Mr. Agnibhaj, a distinguished personality, as a minister in the Congress cabinet in the Madhya Pradesh because he was from the Scheduled Caste."
-- [ Gandhi_U ]
He indeed considered the Negroid Dalit to be of an inferior race. Writing about their supposedly lower level of intelligence, he wrote,
"Majority of Harijans (Dalits) can no more understand the presentation of Christianity than my cows."
-- [ Gandhi_C, p.58 ] [ cited in Gandhi_U ]
thereby comparing the IQ of Dalits to cows !"
http://www.raceandhistory.com/historicalviews/varna.htm

As you wouldn't doubt if you read the links I had posted, Gandhi came to believe that there were no inferior races at all, that the only differences between people were the opportunities they had been given, not their inherent ability. He made that clear over and over again.

Saying that Gandhi did nothing for the Dravidians or the Dalits is ridiculous - you can have valid disagreements with his political goals or strategy, but he clearly fought his whole life for the caste system to be abolished and everyone to be put on the same footing. He opposed a separate electorate for untouchables, just like he opposed a separate electorate for Muslims, because he thought the nation should be united and together, not practicing segregation. Ya'all are pissed off claiming Gandhi representing division AND mad at him for fighting against division at the same time!

And I ain't even going to start saying I agree with Gandhi's religious beliefs, but you're twisting it into something that it's not. Gandhi didn't say that Dalits were an inferior race - he was ranting at Christian missionaries for indoctrinating Dalits with their abstract Western Christian theology that neither they nor any other non-educated person was going to come close to understanding. The only reason he could understand Christian theology was because he had a London education, but most Indians were not in that position, so this Christian propaganda was just confusing from an Indian perspective. He specifically told the Christian missionaries to preach with their lives, by living as good Christians, and stop trying to indoctrinate people who don't even understand you with this abstract theological bullshyt. The whole conversation is here, and includes this fuller explanation by Gandhi. Read the whole thing and you'll see what Gandhi was getting at. It's a weak-ass liberal whining tactic to take one sentence out of context and get all offended about it without even trying to look at what he actually meant.

M. You have objected to Christian propaganda on the ground that Harijans are illiterate and ignorant. What would you say of propaganda amongst non-Harijans?
G. I have the same objection, because the vast mass of people of India would not understand the pros and cons of Christianity better than a cow. I repeat this simile in spite of the fact that it has been objected to. When I say I do not understand logarithms any better than my cow, I do not mean any insult to my intelligence. In matters of theology the non-Harijans masses can understand no better than Harijans. I would take you to Segaon and show you that there is no distinction, so far as capacity to understand such things is concerned, between Harijans and non-Harijans. Try to preach the principles of Christianity to my wife. She can understand them no better than my cow. I can, because of the training that I have had.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
FOH with this hearsay b

:camby:

he had nikkas in his own backyard and shytted on them.
I bring up a legitimate, pertinent question and you ignore it just to continue to Stan for him. it's all fine and dandy if you have an agenda(obviously you do) but you can't just ignore shyt when it doesn't suit your worldview.
:aicmon:

and I don't give a flying fukk WHO cosigned him, they prolly didn't know the way he was doing dirt to the dark skinned folks in his own country.
:shaq2:

WTF are you talking about? Name one question I've ignored. I'm responding to everything out there whiie the haters are ignoring the hundreds of pages of stuff I'm posting and linking to, yet you're accusing ME of being the one ignoring shyt?

And your last statement is the bullshyt I'm talking about. You sitting here calling WEB DuBois, Langston Hughes, and all the rest ignorant fools about what was going on in their own day and age while YOU are the truly enlightened one because you read some out-of-context quotes on the internet.

If you had the slightest clue about Black History, you'd know that those guys who cosigned on Gandhi and who modeled after him to drive the struggle knew a hell of a lot more about Gandhi, including his whole history of what he did and didn't do in South Africa and India, far better than you ever will. You're acting like our heroes were a bunch of ignorant fools or something. Get yourself educated and come back to me.

The Real

Anti-Ignorance
Daps
Reppin
NYC
:damn::camby: so he can talk to a racist, warlord, and a disgusting CAC monster with respect but he's calling Africans derogatories?
If I could neg you I would..

Bruh, have you paid attention anything he posted? Gandhi wrote that letter to Hitler literally decades after he stopped being racist against Black people. You acting like he was doing both at the same time.

Roland Coltrane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
AA GANG
nah breh
WTF are you talking about? Name one question I've ignored. I'm responding to everything out there whiie the haters are ignoring the hundreds of pages of stuff I'm posting and linking to, yet you're accusing ME of being the one ignoring shyt?

And your last statement is the bullshyt I'm talking about. You sitting here calling WEB DuBois, Langston Hughes, and all the rest ignorant fools about what was going on in their own day and age while YOU are the truly enlightened one because you read some out-of-context quotes on the internet.

If you had the slightest clue about Black History, you'd know that those guys who cosigned on Gandhi and who modeled after him to drive the struggle knew a hell of a lot more about Gandhi, including his whole history of what he did and didn't do in South Africa and India, far better than you ever will. You're acting like our heroes were a bunch of ignorant fools or something. Get yourself educated and come back to me.
WTF was taken out of context? I asked you about the BLACK Dravidians and you come up with goose egg. and the fact that they are STILL being treated like that in India speaks volumes. Gandhi ain't do shyt for 'em, and while the call the quotes out of context they reflect a PRESENT reality, all these decades later.

answer my mugfugging question b.

I never called DuBois, Hughes, etc, ignorant. but just like Obama and King they didn't know the man's real views.

do better my g.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
nah breh

WTF was taken out of context? I asked you about the BLACK Dravidians and you come up with goose egg. and the fact that they are STILL being treated like that in India speaks volumes. Gandhi ain't do shyt for 'em, and while the call the quotes out of context they reflect a PRESENT reality, all these decades later.

answer my mugfugging question b.

You claimed that Gandhi said Negroid Dalits were an inferior race. That was complete BS, and I already showed with multiple quotes and links that Gandhi didn't believe in any inferior races. You took an out-of-context quote where Gandhi was telling American missionaries to stop trying to indoctrinate uneducated people with propaganda, and tried to turn that into Gandhi saying something about their inherent IQ. That was a straight lie, and you would know that if you read the link I sent you with the whole conversation.

Here's some more from Gandhi's relationships with Dravidians in South Africa:

"I wanted to learn Tamil, only to enable me to study Valluvar’s Thirukkural through his mother tongue itself.There is no one who has given such treasure of wisdom like him." - Mahatma Gandhi

"No other Indians can equal the performance of the Tamils in this fight. It therefore occurred to me that I should read Tamil with close attention, if for no other reason than to tender sincere thanks to them at least mentally. Accordingly, the last one month was devoted mostly to the study of Tamil. The more I learn it, the better I appreciate the beauties of this language. It is a very fine and sweet language, and from its structure and from what I have read in it, I find that the Tamils have produced, and still produce, a large number of intelligent, thoughtful and wise men. Moreover, since India is going to be one country, some Indians outside Madras should also learn Tamil."

With the knowledge he gained, he was able to teach Tamil to the Tamilian children in the Tolstoy Farm.

He said in a speech at Dakshin Bharat Hindi Prachar Sabha in Madras on 26 March 1937:

“Indeed there was a time when I could speak in Tamil quite as well as I am now speaking Hindi. I had sufficient material when I was in South Africa to assist me in this, because I had to work in the midst of Tamils. but I must confess, to my regret and shame, that I have not kept up touch with it and have forgotten what little I knew of that language.”

At a farewell meeting of the Tamil community in Johannesburg on July 15, 1914, Gandhi said that the Tamils bore the brunt of the satyagraha struggle and that he felt he came to the meeting to meet his “blood-brothers.” He said in an interview to a Tamil correspondent in Rangoon on 12 March 1915: “I consider that I have more in common with the Tamil community than with any other.”

Gandhi often praised the Tamils for their sacrifice. He wrote in Indian Opinion (5 June 1909): "No other Indians can equal the performance of the Tamils in this fight.”

The heroism of the Tamils, especially the poor workers and hawkers, had great influence on Gandhi. He said at a farewell meeting in Durban on 9 July 1914: "In the van of the satyagraha battle were Indians born here and among them particularly the poor and the simple people rendered great services. The rich were busy getting richer." And he declared at a London reception on 8 August 1914:

"There were 20,000 strikers who left their tools and work because there was something in the air... These men and women are the salt of India; on them will be built the Indian nation that is to be. We are poor mortals before these heroes and heroines."

Gandhi wrote in Satyagraha in South Africa:

“Valliamma R. Munuswami Mudaliar was a young girl of Johannesburg only sixteen years of age. She was confined to bed when I saw her. As she was a tall girl, her emaciated body was a terrible thing to behold.

‘Valliamma, you do not repent of your having gone to jail?’ I asked.

‘Repent? I am even now ready to go to jail again if I am arrested,’ said Valliamma.

“But what if it results in your death?’ I pursued.

‘I do not mind it. Who would not love to die for one’s motherland?’ was the reply.

“Within a few days after this conversation Valliamma was no more with us in the flesh, but she left us the heritage of an immortal name…. And the name of Valliamma will live in the history of South African Satyagraha as long as India lives.”

He cherished the memory of his association with Tamils in South Africa. He wrote in his autobiography:

“The affection that the Dravidians in South Africa showered on me has remained a cherished memory. Whenever I see a Tamil or Telugu friend, I cannot but recall the faith, perseverance and selfless sacrifice of many of his compatriots in South Africa. And they were mostly illiterate, the men no less than the women. The fight in South Africa was for such, and it was fought by illiterate soldiers; it was for the poor, and the poor took their full share in it.”

Yeah, Gandhi talking about those ignorant Dravidians that he hated and didn't want to struggle with... :yeshrug:

I never called DuBois, Hughes, etc, ignorant. but just like Obama and King they didn't know the man's real views.

do better my g.

"W.E.B. DuBois wasn't ignorant, he just didn't know."

:russ: What do you think "ignorant", means? W.E.B. DuBois knew a hundred times more about Gandhi's real views than you do, and you come all in here acting like you're better than him because you read some out-of-context hate piece on the internet.

Learn some freaking history. You all acting like our heroes of that era were a bunch of backwater fools who didn't know world politics and who didn't read everything. Those guys were fully up-to-date on the events in South Africa and India, the things that Gandhi was writing were well-circulated, they spoke with him and met with him theirselves.

I mean, we're even talking about AFRICANS in Africa, specifically SOUTH AFRICANS. And you yourself say, "he used the newspaper he wrote for as a soapbox to drag us through the fukking mud." But somehow these South Africans from Gandhi's own era were too stupid to know the things you think you learned off the internet. :wow:

Give it up. Why should I keep feeding you quote and quote and link after link disproving every narrative you throw out there when you just ignore the evidence to believe whatever some internet troll wants you to believe?

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I love that you're failing so badly in a conversation about fukking Gandhi that you're giving up and going the "you've got a CAC name" route.

I gave you the EXACT information that you said I couldn't give you, and your only response is, "No point in arguing...CAC name!" :stopitslime:

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Your entire argument is that Gandhi said some racist things in his early life, so whatever he did for and with Black people and Africans in the rest of his life is irrelevant. And you deny all evidence to the contrary that he clearly changed, turned from his racism, declared all peoples equal, and repeatedly praised Black people and Black leaders. Right?

And you claim that all the Black fighters in the struggle who knew and fought with Gandhi...they were just uneducated and didn't bother reading what Gandhi said. And, apparently, when they met with Gandhi over and over they couldn't manage to detect the racism that he was hiding within, right?

Martin Luther King Jr. modeled his entire struggle after Gandhi, went to India himself to speak to Gandhi's family and fellow strugglers, built up a massive collection of his writings...but you think he never bothered finding out what Gandhi felt about Black people.

W.E.B. DuBois corresponded with Gandhi for 30 years, specifically wrote about 1911 conference with Finot and paper from which Gandhi began learning about equality of all races, specifically asked Gandhi to write for Crisis...and yet you somehow think you can claim that DuBois didn't know Gandhi's views on race.

John Dube was neighbors with Gandhi, struggled alongside him for decades, was right there when Gandhi said the things that he said as well as when he started to change...and yet you think you know more about Gandhi than the Black South African hero who practically lived next door to him.

S.S. Tema was close to Gandhi too...how can you claim that a Black South African was ignorant of how Gandhi felt about Black South Africans?

You think Nelson Mandela was ignorant of all this shyt too when he lionized Gandhi over and over? How is that even possible?

Hubert Harrison called him "the greatest, most unselfish and powerful leader of the modern world" and specifically wrote about the events in South Africa..but you think he was just ignorant.

George Washington Carver was in correspondence with Gandhi, as was Marcus Garvey, and they sent not only letters but even books back and forth to each other...but you think you know more about Gandhi than they did.

Bildad Kaggia called Gandhi his inspiration, Jomo Kenyatta said that he cherished Gandhi, Nnamdi Azikiwe said that history has proven Gandhi's ways were correct, Albert Luthuli said that with Gandhi the Africans and the Indians joined together in struggle, Kenneth Kaunda said that Gandhi's ways could be the answer, Joshua Nkomo said that Gandhi showed them that independence could be more than just a dream, Kwame Nkrumah mourned his death and credited him with inspiring him to extend the struggle to all Africa...but you think you know Gandhi better than all the men of Africa who actually fought the struggle.

And Gandhi himself repeatedly praised many of these men, calling them great leaders and geniuses and declaring that Africa should be free and the American Negro should be equal with the White man....and saying that he would have nothing to do with any nation or community who refused to grant freedom to them.