Nightmare at the Box Office. WORST SUMMER SINCE 97.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
Hollywood being homogenized to the point where no one can tell the difference anymore. We need more films that go to the way of "The Purge" type shyt or more R-rated movies that gives no fukks with gore.

a lot (basically all) of the summer movies these days are action movies, even if they don't have to be. and not just any kind of action, but like kid oriented DUMB action.

i remember the first time i saw the trailer for elysium i thought it looked pretty great. i thought "wow, what an interesting and relevant concept. matt damon... jodie foster... :gladbron:... wow this actually looks like a smart and more sophisticated type sci fi flick!"

.... and then of course before you know it you see images of matt damon wearing an armored mech suit, fighting some other dude with a laser sword. :beli:

it's like they couldn't fukkin help themselves lol. god forbid there weren't any mechs, kung fu, or laser swords in the film. otherwise nobody might go and see it. :snoop:

to this day i still haven't seen it.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
a lot (basically all) of the summer movies these days are action movies, even if they don't have to be. and not just any kind of action, but like kid oriented DUMB action.

i remember the first time i saw the trailer for elysium i thought it looked pretty great. i thought "wow, what an interesting and relevant concept. matt damon... jodie foster... :gladbron:... wow this actually looks like a smart and more sophisticated type sci fi flick!"

.... and then of course before you know it you see images of matt damon wearing an armored mech suit, fighting some other dude with a laser sword. :beli:

it's like they couldn't fukkin help themselves lol. god forbid there weren't any mechs, kung fu, or laser swords in the film. otherwise nobody might go and see it. :snoop:

to this day i still haven't seen it.

Yeah, they getting too carried away with the CGI bullshyt. I want some groundbreaking film that has young, hungry actors that can act, with moments of violence and gore mixed into an original plot.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
this almost sounds like that crazy shyt the dude was saying on the first page :dead:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/future-film-special-report-728427

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/future-film-bigger-screens-yep-728426?mobile_redirect=false

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/future-film-studios-will-have-728428

"By 2024, the concept of a multimonth window between a movie's theatrical and home entertainment release will no longer exist. The initial catalyst will be online distributors (think Netflix) growing large enough to finance movies on their own terms and release them across all platforms, including theaters (offering movie exhibitors a far more robust split in the process). Many consumers will still choose to experience a movie in a theater, while others will prefer to enjoy the film at home with prices varying based on the level of convenience offered. The other catalyst to collapse release windows will be the rising threat of piracy. As movie piracy shifts from sketchy websites to beautiful interfaces (such as Popcorn Time), with one-click streaming to IP-enabled TVs, movie studios will use cross-platform, global day-and-date releasing to capture consumer attention and dollars. By 2024, consumers will be able to pay for and access content whenever they want and wherever they want on a device of their choice." :ohhh: @MartyMcFly

Last edited:

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/

Looks like it's pretty up and down but was on a upswing the last few years.

I don't think this as bad of news as it is being made out to be. However, the movie studios need to keep check of their production and marketing budgets

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Also I'm not even advocating for the "Death of the Theater". I love going to the movies. I'm a huge movie buff as many of you know. But the writing is on the wall. Look at what happen with "Expendables 3":

expendables3_poster.jpg

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $34,177,584 40.4%
+ Foreign: $50,400,000 59.6%
= Worldwide: $84,577,584

Now EX3 leaked online 3 weeks before it was to be released. The studio ended up losing MILLIONS as many people watched the leak and decided to not go to the theater. These numbers are the LOWEST in the Expendables franchise. Now Imagine they were "STREAMING" new releases. They could of at least got some money out of it now they just lost millions.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
this almost sounds like that crazy shyt the dude was saying on the first page :dead:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/future-film-special-report-728427

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/future-film-bigger-screens-yep-728426?mobile_redirect=false

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/future-film-studios-will-have-728428

"By 2024, the concept of a multimonth window between a movie's theatrical and home entertainment release will no longer exist. The initial catalyst will be online distributors (think Netflix) growing large enough to finance movies on their own terms and release them across all platforms, including theaters (offering movie exhibitors a far more robust split in the process). Many consumers will still choose to experience a movie in a theater, while others will prefer to enjoy the film at home with prices varying based on the level of convenience offered. The other catalyst to collapse release windows will be the rising threat of piracy. As movie piracy shifts from sketchy websites to beautiful interfaces (such as Popcorn Time), with one-click streaming to IP-enabled TVs, movie studios will use cross-platform, global day-and-date releasing to capture consumer attention and dollars. By 2024, consumers will be able to pay for and access content whenever they want and wherever they want on a device of their choice." :ohhh: @MartyMcFly

2024. That's 10 years from now. Scary how fast Technology is moving. But I have a feeling Hollywood won't be as dumb and arrogant as the Music Industry. They will adjust to the PPV/Streaming thing on some "Itunes" type sh!t but do it earlier before they lose more money unlike the Music Industry waiting for the last minute.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
2024. That's 10 years from now. Scary how fast Technology is moving. But I have a feeling Hollywood won't be as dumb and arrogant as the Music Industry. They will adjust to the PPV/Streaming thing on some "Itunes" type sh!t but do it earlier before they lose more money unlike the Music Industry waiting for the last minute.

i agree breh 10 years ago we didnt even have smartphones and carried around 45lb digital cameras
this quote from one of the articles had me :dahell: and :mindblown: at the same time :lupe:

"
In the future, there will be seismic changes. Bored with Hollywood dictating cinematic culture (the same millionaire directors, the same overexposed actors, the same predictable storylines), like-minded fans will connect and create their own vision, either a completely original work or a riff on, say, rom-coms or Star Wars. The accessibility of tech makes it all possible for us to produce — and own. The intellectual property of our own tales will be ours to use and repurpose in new innovative ways. We’ll see them screened and voted upon (like The Voice), with the winners getting widespread release. It will be an entirely new business model. You've heard about Fan Fiction? Get ready for Fan Film, in which self becomes film studio.
Movie theaters are dying. As consumers hide out in their at-home binge-coc00ns, devouring entire seasons of HBO and Netflix programming, theater owners will partner with hotels to create binge retreats. These will be fab private dens you can rent for a few hours or days to binge-watch whatever you like. It'll be all about decadence: Food will be catered and gourmet. Mixologists, masseuses and manicurists will be on-call. People will be unplugging from home and work, and plugging in to entertainment, fantasy and luxury.
In the future, fantasy adventure (our craving for exotic experiences) and technology will demolish the old-school movie screen. We'll have completely immersive experiences. In a decade, Imax and even Oculus Rift experiences will seem as outdated as a Walkman. Films won’t be events you go see in the theater for two hours, they’ll be gamified and will unfold in real-time all around you. You pay for a time-slot, tune in your technology, and literally become one with the action. Endings and events will be changed as you go, smells, tastes, sensations will all be experienced live. Casts will be comprised of your own avatars — you will be the star. It’ll be a totally user-centric landscape that encompasses our EGOnomics trend: a personalized way for users to offset the effects of our digital, depersonalized society."

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Guys my headline was wrong. This is actually "THE WORST SUMMER SINCE 92" according to Box Office Mojo:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3899&p=.htm

"Total domestic box office during the season was $4.06 billion, which is down 15 percent from last year and is the lowest total since 2006. Factoring in ticket price inflation, this was the worst Summer since 1992.

So worst overall summer in 8 years and worst Summer in 22 years according to Inflation. Horrible. But one surprise this summer was how "Guardians" and "Turtles" have turned August into a Stronger Month than ever before.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I'll read it later but the articles are starting to blend together at this point. And if next summer rebounds then it'll be the exact opposite. It's hard to tell if this is actual analysis at this point or click bait
it was a good read.

this one stressed more on how the month of august was pure a55 cheeks from a movie perspective (minus gotg) and how there's no movies worth seeing this weekend either

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
it was a good read.

this one stressed more on how the month of august was pure a55 cheeks from a movie perspective (minus gotg) and how there's no movies worth seeing this weekend either

I agree with the last part. September is normally a dry month anyway or at least the beginning. It's still stuff coming out this year I wanna see tho so :smugbond:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
oh lawd

Box Office 2014: Moviegoing Hits Two-Decade Low

The number of people going to the movies in 2014 in North America slipped to its lowest level in two decades.

According to preliminary estimates, roughly 1.26 billion consumers purchased cinema tickets between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31. That's the lowest number since 1.21 billion in 1995 and not that far ahead of 1994 (1.24 billion). The last time admissions fell below the 1.3 billion mark was in 2011, when only 1.28 billion people when to the movies.

Official figures for 2014 won't be released until the National Association of Theater Owners calculates the average movie ticket price for 2014 (that can't happen until the average for the fourth quarter is figured out). However, the average ticket price for 2014 is likely to be at least $8.15, compared to $8.13 for 2013.

Read more Todd McCarthy's 10 Best Films of 2014

Year-over-year, attendance looks to be off 6 percent from 2013, when admissions clocked in at 1.34 billion.

Admissions have fluctuated dramatically over the years, and particularly since the advent of modern-day 3D, which can skew the average ticket price. Moviegoing in North America hit an all-time high in 2002, when 1.57 billion consumers lined up, thanks in part to Spider-Man ($403 million), The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers ($339.8 million), Star Wars: Episode II — Attack of the Clones ($302.2 million), Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets ($262 million) and My Big Fat Greek Wedding ($241.4 million).

Overall revenue for the North American box office in 2014 is expected to finish at roughly $10.36 billion, down 5 percent over 2013 and marking the biggest year-over-year decline in nine years.

If there's any good news, it's that the film business has used the fall and winter — including a prosperous Christmas season — to reverse some of the damage suffered this summer, whenrevenue tumbled 15 percent over 2013and hit an eight-year low. Also, a number of smaller films did big business, helping to boost the bottom line, while the international box office is as vibrant as ever.

Read more Best of 2014: Biggest Box Office Surprises

The culprit for malaise in North America?

A number of summer tentpoles underperformed compared to previous installments, including Sony's The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (May 2) and Paramount's Transformers: Age of Extinction (June 27). And while November's The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1, from Lionsgate, is only the second release of 2014 to cross $300 million after Disney and Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy(Aug. 1), it still won't match its predecessors, both of which earned north of $400 million domestically. (So far, Guardians is the top earner of 2014 domestically at $332 million, althoughMockingjay isn't far behind, grossing north of $306 million to date.)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-2014-moviegoing-hits-760766

@MartyMcFly @kp404 @HHR

Daps
Reppin
Yeah
3D is going to countiue to flip like it did before.

I can almost guarantee the next new thing will either be 4D (when the chairs move and you can smell/feel mist etc) or hologram.

I remember kanye talking about an idea

Got My Eyes On You, Spielberg And Lucas
Angry that he’s not given enough credit for his creations, West talked about “the most innovative take on theater” he came up with for his “Cruel Summer” 
 short film.

“I designed the set … okay, ‘Surround Vision,’ there should be a screen above you, below you, to the left, to the right and in front you also,” he said. “Then I pay my own money, that I get paid for doing ‘Gold Digger,’ which I never really liked that song, but I knew I would get paid for doing ‘Gold Digger.’ ”

He talked about shooting the video, editing it for 30 days, building a pyramid set on the beach at Cannes, France, and getting a standing ovation. And then? He does an interview in the New York Timesto talk about his feat only to have his thunder stolen by two of Hollywood’s biggest moneymakers!

It doesn’t get mentioned in the interview, and then a week later, they do an interview with George Lucas and Steven Spielberg and they’re talking about what the next frontier of theater is gonna be and how it will be higher-priced tickets and it will be something that’s surrounding you and ba, ba ba! I said, ‘Wait a second! I just only did the interview to tell you people that I invented it! I made it!’ ”