Ms. World Dominican, y'all

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I've never met a real Dominican before, do the dark ones really deny their Africaness. That's weird.

Before

original.jpg

After

sammy-sosa-face.jpg

Still not as bad as this shyt though

before

plastic5.jpg

after

005A2A2E00000258-2943351-image-a-32_1423264599188.jpg

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
nah. nothing to see here. ignorant, low class dominicans who probably have family fukkin for loose change showin out. nothing new. :russell:
Something that happens among all groups of people, I'm sure you'll agree.

:coffee:

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
On the real, in amaras thread I dropped a story that my boy told me about when he tried to holla and she pretty much gave him the :mjpls:. Said she don't really indentify as a black person and prefers white latinos and a few nikkas thought I was telling duck tales. She is probably a c00n, a gorgeous c00n but a c00n nonetheless :yeshrug:

Nah I don't think it's like that.

The Internet Lost It Over This Blackface Impersonation In The Dominican Republic

The moment Geisha Montes de Oca put on butt pads and makeup to play Amara La Negra, things went left.

by Jazzi Johnson
September 27, 2016 • 3:03 PM ET

A beauty queen is in the center of a lot of heat in the Dominican Republic after a stunt went horribly wrong on an entertainment variety show. 2008's Miss World Dominican Republic Geisha Montes de Oca is learning the power of the internet the hard way.

On Aqui Se Habla Español, a big TV variety show in the DR, the actress Montes de Oca performed in a skit about the popular Dominican singer, Amara La Negra.

The problem came when she donned blackface, an afro wig, and butt-pads to add to her impersonation.

screen_shot_2016-09-27_at_1.14.45_pm.png

According to BlackGirlLongHair, Montes de Oca defended her actions on Instagram in a now-deleted post. In it, she said that Dominicans view race and color differently than Americans. But it seems a bit of a stretch. Particularly, as the publication points out, with immigration issues arising which has largely separated many by the tone of their skin, as well as the prevalence of skin lightening cream, one would easily argue her case.

Clearly, Ms. Beauty Queen Geisha didn't take any time to see some of the comments that were being left on the show's social media page— and her own. Here are a few, via BGLH:

comments1.jpg

comments2.jpg

Amara La Negra, the offended subject, also reposted the picture to her IG page absent of any commentary. But if her interview with Vibe tells us anything, it's that she's a proud Afro-Latina and may not have taken too nicely to the joke.

“One of the reasons I’m so rebellious and I wear my hair from my head attached to my body, is because for many years I was told this bulls–t lie that in order to be beautiful," Amara said. "I had to have straight hair because my hair was too ‘unmanageable.' Hello! I’m black. Yes, I’m going to have nappy and kinky hair. But that’s part of what makes me beautiful. And it took me years to know and realize that. I’m straightening and burning my hair for what? To please who?”

For reference, here's the image of Amara La Negra that Montes de Oca was imitating:

Here's what Montes de Oca looks like without blackface:

Finally, here is a closer look at Montes de Oca in blackface:

screen_shot_2016-09-27_at_1.14.29_pm.png

What are your thoughts on the situation?

[Photos: Instagram]

The Internet Lost It Over This Blackface Impersonation In The Dominican Republic