i want my corners
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore Prison
What?:what:

BoyzNTHood_080Pyxutz.jpg

BoyzNTHood_133Pyxurz.jpg

And as far as "hanging out" with Trey, they did it right...perfectly even.

Doughboy and them originally knew Trey as the kid from across the street that collected comic books...so they would hang out with him because they could do regular kid shyt like play football, talk about comics, and scary movies and shyt.

But Dough and the rest of them grew away from Trey because they got more into street shyt and Trey got more into school. And that is why Ricky and Trey become best friends, while the other kids stop hanging around each other. Ricky's baby mama even mentions it during the BBQ scene when all of the women are talking about Trey. She says "He used to be best friends with Dough when they were little" which spells out that they aren't close like they were.

If you watch any of the scenes as adults, Trey never hangs out with Dough or the street cats like Monsta. He is always around Ricky. They just interact at times with Dough because Ricky is his brother, so being around the street cats at times is inevitable. You would have a point if Trey was playing spades with Dough, or participating with their fukkery, when it's the exact opposite.

Trey comes over for Ricky, and sometimes while he is waiting they'll offer him some liquor and he'll awkwardly decline it. Or he'll come over for the BBQ, and they'll make fun of his clothes for the five minutes that they talk before Trey goes on about his business. They aren't buddies, they are associates because of their childhood history, the proximity of their houses literally being right across the street, and the go between Ricky.

If Ricky was shown to be a street dude, then you would also have a point. But he's explicitly shown to not be into the street shyt.

"I thought you were scared of Compton?"

Plus all of the scenes of Dough hanging with his friends, and Ricky never being with them. Ricky is into sports and girls, so it makes sense that he and Trey would bond and grow close. They might be the only school boys on the block.

And Dough sees it, and he often makes fun of them for it, like when he's getting drunk on the porch watching Trey and Brandy kiss, and he's like "he still hasn't fukked her.":gucci:
And when Trey comes over for Ricky a few days later, he says "I saw you leaving Brandy house about 2, 3 in the morning:shaq:". All 3 houses are right next to each other, Dough and his boys are always sitting on the porch drinking and smoking late at night, so Dough always see's who is moving in the neighborhood and what they are doing, and brings it up to Trey because "So when you gon finally fukk that bytch":ehh: is basically the only thing they have to talk about.That's realistic as fukk.

Corny dudes exist in every hood. School boys exist in every hood. And often times the school boys used to be friends as children with the dudes that grew up to be street cats. But the divide as they get older doesn't mean the street cats hate the school boys. They still will see each other around, nod, ask about the moms, and keep it moving. And that is what Trey and Dough's relationship would be if Ricky wasn't around.

And even beyond that, what stops Trey from being seen as food by those cats is that Trey is friends with Ricky, they knew him as kids, AND they respect Trey's dad. That won't stop Trey from being harassed by other cats (like when the gun is pointed in his face while he is walking home), but he has the pass from the street dudes connected to Dough.

This difference between them is explored explicitly in the final few scenes of the movie, where Trey tries to hop in the car with the street dudes to do some street shyt, something that never happens in any other part of the film, but chickens out and gets let out. And Dough literally says the next morning "you shouldn't have been there in the first place." That is the major theme of the whole movie, Trey being on one path, being built differently than Dough and his boys. Again, realistic as fukk.
Good stuff.. I was going to say the same about trey and ricky being friends thats why they put up with trey

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Menace is the most entertaining

Boyz is the best movie of the bunch

Juice is dope but it kinda turns into a horror film after the store robbery

I prefer Menace over the other 2

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
I feel like Juice and Boyz N Da Hood haven't aged as well. Boyz gets after school special-y at times and Juice kinda goes through the motions and gets generic

But Menace...Menace is forever:ufdup:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
juice don't even belong with menace and boyzndahood.

it was nevr marketed the same as those and never had the same catastrohes at the actual theatre in widespread mayhem at all.

anyway the easy choice is menace.

art barr

avon barksdale

i want my corners
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore Prison

:deadmanny:[/QUOTE]

i saw this movie over 20 times and this the first time i heard jada and Chauncey full fight in the background like he was bout to rape her :ohhh:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
What?:what:

BoyzNTHood_080Pyxutz.jpg

BoyzNTHood_133Pyxurz.jpg

And as far as "hanging out" with Trey, they did it right...perfectly even.

Doughboy and them originally knew Trey as the kid from across the street that collected comic books...so they would hang out with him because they could do regular kid shyt like play football, talk about comics, and scary movies and shyt.

But Dough and the rest of them grew away from Trey because they got more into street shyt and Trey got more into school. And that is why Ricky and Trey become best friends, while the other kids stop hanging around each other. Ricky's baby mama even mentions it during the BBQ scene when all of the women are talking about Trey. She says "He used to be best friends with Dough when they were little" which spells out that they aren't close like they were.

If you watch any of the scenes as adults, Trey never hangs out with Dough or the street cats like Monsta. He is always around Ricky. They just interact at times with Dough because Ricky is his brother, so being around the street cats at times is inevitable. You would have a point if Trey was playing spades with Dough, or participating with their fukkery, when it's the exact opposite.

Trey comes over for Ricky, and sometimes while he is waiting they'll offer him some liquor and he'll awkwardly decline it. Or he'll come over for the BBQ, and they'll make fun of his clothes for the five minutes that they talk before Trey goes on about his business. They aren't buddies, they are associates because of their childhood history, the proximity of their houses literally being right across the street, and the go between Ricky.

If Ricky was shown to be a street dude, then you would also have a point. But he's explicitly shown to not be into the street shyt.

"I thought you were scared of Compton?"

Plus all of the scenes of Dough hanging with his friends, and Ricky never being with them. Ricky is into sports and girls, so it makes sense that he and Trey would bond and grow close. They might be the only school boys on the block.

And Dough sees it, and he often makes fun of them for it, like when he's getting drunk on the porch watching Trey and Brandy kiss, and he's like "he still hasn't fukked her.":gucci:
And when Trey comes over for Ricky a few days later, he says "I saw you leaving Brandy house about 2, 3 in the morning:shaq:". All 3 houses are right next to each other, Dough and his boys are always sitting on the porch drinking and smoking late at night, so Dough always see's who is moving in the neighborhood and what they are doing, and brings it up to Trey because "So when you gon finally fukk that bytch":ehh: is basically the only thing they have to talk about.That's realistic as fukk.

Corny dudes exist in every hood. School boys exist in every hood. And often times the school boys used to be friends as children with the dudes that grew up to be street cats. But the divide as they get older doesn't mean the street cats hate the school boys. They still will see each other around, nod, ask about the moms, and keep it moving. And that is what Trey and Dough's relationship would be if Ricky wasn't around.

And even beyond that, what stops Trey from being seen as food by those cats is that Trey is friends with Ricky, they knew him as kids, AND they respect Trey's dad. That won't stop Trey from being harassed by other cats (like when the gun is pointed in his face while he is walking home), but he has the pass from the street dudes connected to Dough.

This difference between them is explored explicitly in the final few scenes of the movie, where Trey tries to hop in the car with the street dudes to do some street shyt, something that never happens in any other part of the film, but chickens out and gets let out. And Dough literally says the next morning "you shouldn't have been there in the first place." That is the major theme of the whole movie, Trey being on one path, being built differently than Dough and his boys. Again, realistic as fukk.
Great post and breakdown.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Right. I'm not understanding the hate against Juice breh? :dahell:

movie was straight flames :to:

juice was marketed different from boyz and menace.
it is revision when they try to lump them together.
Pac fans were not even Pac fans yet and most gangsta rap fans were not in tune or into cultural based works like this film especially.
after pac's shooting/bail/death and explosion from MTV making him their darling.
plus viaccom purchasing bet.
did later in this get revised like juice was a general hood movie like film.
juice was made before people in general knew cypress were from Cali.
that is how much revision after the fact has went into this whole Pac thug life prison industrial economy bullshyt.

the nikkaz who became pac fans later on.
were not even into culturally endorsed rap groups when juice dropped.

juice was culturally marketed, not made or marketed originally like menace and boyzndahood.

art barr

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
if you saw Menace first then that makes a little more sense. But Boyz set the precedent and nobody viewed it as a soft movie by any stretch. Hughes Bros had to make Menace more violent and exaggerated imo

menace was more exaggerated and closer to even real life than we actually knew at the time.
when viewing the movie that when the ideals and brsintrust of Cali gang culture moved. We can not be sure which action was here first. Was it people swayed trying to play dress up and ramp to fit in. Or was this the actual intensity that socialized how it really was.
all we know is this was all used against as as silent weapons.
as well as giving us an insight socially to what was there and gon awry.

art barr