Marvel is putting out hip hop variant covers

Mr. Jack Napier

#MambaForever
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
Marvel is going to be doing over 50 covers like this, bad thing is, we have to wait until October.

Dope execution, but for a comic company that barely has black heroes and fukk them :aicmon:

Black Panther, The Falcon, Luke Cage, War Machine, Storm, Blade, Nick Fury, Bishop & Sam Wilson as the new Cap America (just to name a few) don't count huh?

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
tumblr_lj6s2djB961qh66szo1_500.jpg

Isnt this from that blog/tumblr of guys who put DC and marvel characters on album covers and not the new ones from Marvel?

Cause I've seen this before.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Black Panther, The Falcon, Luke Cage, War Machine, Storm, Blade, Nick Fury, Bishop & Sam Wilson as the new Cap America (just to name a few) don't count huh?

In fairness to @dora_da_destroyer, compared to the hundreds of white comic characters, yea it's a small number.

And of the ones you mentioned, only storm and maaaaayyybe blade got put on like that. You barely heard of blade since his movies 11 years ago. The rest just got recently put on.

Last edited:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Can't co-sign this. Marvel has used every excuse in the book to not put out Black Leading Superhero movies, barely has black writers or artist but can use Hip Hop Culture? No. Then when they are confronted about this obvious bias, their response was "What does hip hop have to do with Black Comic Writers". See that. This is Hip Hop problem now, we've OUTSOURCED the culture and it has to stop.

Word, I like the idea and a lot of the covers are really good but...

1. There's barely any black characters in those variants (Sam Wilson as cap and storm as part of the X-Men. Marvel didn't do the OBFCL cover). You'd figure that Black Panther, Luke Cage, War Machine, and Blade would be shoe-ins for this.

2. Isn't weird that non-HipHop people can enter house of HipHop so easily, while on the flip side black people have a really hard time working for the big 2 (Marvel and DC) especially as writers?

In any case, rumor has it Marvel has more covers on the way, we'll see what they got.

Last edited:

BlackDiBiase

Superstar
Daps
thread is a beauty keep em coming. this is a good spot for those who need avatars that amount of piff in here wow.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Marvel is going to be doing over 50 covers like this, bad thing is, we have to wait until October.

Dude already beat me to the reply, how many of those are promoted and mainstream? Storm, blade for a sec, we will see with cap, and I guess black panther, furthermore, did you not just realize how few women you named? Again I'm not impressed, marvel did a good job i the covers, but I'm not buying it

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Marvel came thru:cape: and Snoop Dogg the Building:krs:

...Paid In Full, Enter The Squad, and Only Built 4 Armour Linx, tho:wow:

Mr. Jack Napier

#MambaForever
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
Dude already beat me to the reply, how many of those are promoted and mainstream? Storm, blade for a sec, we will see with cap, and I guess black panther, furthermore, did you not just realize how few women you named? Again I'm not impressed, marvel did a good job i the covers, but I'm not buying it

How many Marvel comic book characters are mainstream? X-Men, Avengers & Spider-Man, that's about it. And we were not originally talking about women, cause we can pull up a list as well.