MARVEL HALTS PRODUCTION OF FANTASTIC FOUR AND X-MEN COLLECTIBLES

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
Marvel-Characters-Movie-Studio-Ownership.jpg

Rights and Characters to EVERYTHING MUTANT from Marvel. Notice in AoU that they called Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch "miracles" :martinword:

They got Fantastic 4 and their characters/rogues as well.
update: with hulk also with universal picture

marvel-rights-3-1200x960.png

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
It's a lose-lose for Marvel and they don't even see it. If they stop production of the comics that means less money. Fantastic Four ain't about shyt lately but X-Men comics will always sell more than Avengers. So right away they lose money in the comics division.

If they actually succeeded in devaluing the properties (which I don't see it happening because they are a staple in the film industry now) that means they'd be able to buy the rights back for less but they'd be getting a product that they'd have to do a shyt load of advertising and building back up.

It's stupid anyway you look at it. :manny:

notPsychosiz

I started this gangsta sh-
Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf
:gladbron: breh you helped develop MUA1?? Prolly the best marvel universe console release to date . Man I remember we got the Hulk and Venom as DLC later and Moon Knight was pre-order exculsive.

Had some of my best gaming memories as comic book head with that game like...
Smashing out Doom as the Hulk, Silver Surfer, Dr. Strange and Ghost Riser :banderas:
Or wrecking shyt with BP, Blade, Luke Cage and Storm as team Black Excellence :blessed:

Who were the other characters yall HAD to implement upon Marvel's request? Damn it's been almost 10 years since that piff first dropped. :whew:

We had already been praised for the Spiderman series and X-Men Legends series so since MUA was considered XML3 we had free reign to choose the characters for the most part. We had a good track record and Marvel knew it would sell so there were only a few things we had to do or couldn't do. I was actually working on Spiderman 3 at the time... or Call of Duty 3... or something. I forget. I was only asked for input cause I knew more about Marvel than anyone working at Activision on our floor.
If you remember the game has a trivia computer that gives you XP. So the testers would have to keep answering the questions to make sure it was working correctly. They were given an answer key to answer the questions, but after awhile they were like "Psycho knows this stuff" so they would just read the question aloud and I'd tell them the answer from across the room cause I knew them all from the comics. So it became a game. Then at one point our main supervisor for the floor brought me in to provide input on the roster.

Like you said, Hulk was DLC included later cause they negotiated to use him. Actually, I believe Marvel did cause of fan complaints. He was the number one requested character by a mile, second was Nightcrawler but that was just due to him stealing the show in the last X-Men movie that was in peoples minds at the time.
I told them to put Cyclops in the actual game, but they thought they had enough X-Men w/Wolv Storm Iceman. They didn't understand that actual x-men comic fans love Cyclops and actual avenger fans love Hawkeye. They ignored me and excluded both cause they thouhgt most people would be fine with Wolv/Iceman/Storm or Cap/Ironman/Thor... But once the game was out my predictions were correct and thats how the DLC ended up being Cyclops, Hawkeye, Nightcrawler and Hulk.
Nightcrawler being playable actually breaks the storyline of the game... I'm sure they had no intention of him ever being playable.

As for roster notes, there were a few specific things we were not allowed to do like we were asked not to include what would be considered variant versions of characters that could confuse casual fans. So once Spiderman and Ironman were on the roster there was zero chance of War Machine or Scarlet Spider being on the roster. Collosus is only in the game cause we couldnt use Hulk originally. The only characters I suggested that could of been used and were not included were Beast, Scarlet Witch, and Blackcat... not counting ppl that appear but are not playable like Namor and Vision.
Punisher, She-Hulk, Firestar,as well but they had liscensing things going on. Cyc and Hawkeye were added later.

I would not have included Collosus, Moon Knight, or Silver Surfer (I didn't think he fit, power level wise... not as a playable char).
I'm most surprised they inlcluded Spider-Woman who I suggested but really didn't expect would make the cut. I think she got affirmative actioned in cause they wanted more women. :mjlol: They even included her Arachnae version which I also suggested cause I just assumed they were gonna use Scarlet Witch as well. So I thought Arachnae/Scarlet Witch/Deadpool and Malice would give you a Brotherhood of Evil team bonus... but they didn't use Scarlet Witch and for some reason didnt give Invisible Woman her Malice costume even though she was already part of the permenant roster before I was even asked.
:what:

59e5a327e95e201159a4bcd031067c96.jpg
(Sue Richards as Malice, for those that don't know):whew:

notPsychosiz

I started this gangsta sh-
Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf

Just too make people realise how many characters fox actually own

Okay, yeah this is what I assumed.
My guess is that list is incomplete by the way.

Similar to how Marvel cant even use the word 'Mutant' I believe they are barred from using entire alien races due to them not owning Fam-4.
This is why the Guardians of the Galaxy film makes no mention of the Skrulls despite promenently featuring the Kree.

Characters like Nova were also specifically avoided despite their being a Nova Corps. And obviously they weren't gonna use the Shi'ar (X-Men) even though it would have been a perfect setting to introduce Corsair and the Spacejammers (Space Pirates) since the whole film dealt with space piracy.

I hope Marvel gets all their rights back.

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
I know the story... :mjcry: they should have leased the properties though... Not sold them the rights with some dumb non use clause written in...

They had clauses.. they where just BS... if production doesnt start on a new movie every 3 years or so the rights revert back... They shouldve had a buy back clause (with interest within a time period) then used all the iron man profits and bought them back

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Last I heard.. I thought nobody technically knows who owns Namor... I know universal but i thought fox also had him due to FF..

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
They did do something similar though.. When they got the animated rights back they scrapped Spectacular for that BS ultimate

That had more to do with rights tho. When Disney bought marvel Sony made a deal with them where they got the TV rights back and I forget what sony got in return. So they couldn't continue that show legally and then of course Joey Q laid down the edict that he wanted to make a spider man show for kids. So that's exactly what we got and it's craptastic

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
That had more to do with rights tho. When Disney bought marvel Sony made a deal with them where they got the TV rights back and I forget what sony got in return. So they couldn't continue that show legally and then of course Joey Q laid down the edict that he wanted to make a spider man show for kids. So that's exactly what we got and it's craptastic

I agree.. I was just stating Marvel has worked on a deal before.. they could've done it again.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Understanding FANTASTIC FOUR's Legacy & Possible Future

Hickman giving no fukks and saying F4 is gone due to Fox and not sales :ohhh: :russ:
The concrete “whys” of the Richards family’s absence have been a matter of speculation since they left the Marvel Universe in Secret Wars, but as it turns out, the actual reason for their disappearance from Marvel's publishing line may be exactly what some conspiracy minded fans have said all along - 20th Century Fox's ownership of the franchise's film rights - but maybe not for the reasons they may expect.

”I think it’s pretty common knowledge at this point that Marvel isn’t publishing Fantastic Four because of their disagreement with Fox,” Hickman explained. “While it bums me out, I completely understand because, well, it isn’t like they’re not acting out of cause. Fox needs to do a better job there.”

Hickman’s reasoning seems to imply that Marvel did indeed drop the FF because of the Fox films – not necessarily for financial reasons, but because the most recent reboot was both critically and financially unsuccessful, and failed to reflect well on Marvel's comic books. Marvel still publishes an entire line of X-Men comic books, for example, despite Fox also controlling that franchise's film rights.

Barber spelled it out more directly, saying “Not to be blunt, but three f---ing terrible movies don’t help anything.”

”I think the lack of a current Fantastic Four series owes a lot more to the film situation than to a lack of interest,” he clarified.

But Hickman also says that the Fantastic Four didn’t need to leave the Marvel Universe.

”That kind of thinking runs contrary to everything I believe in as a professional storyteller,” Hickman explained. “It comes from a place of manipulation where an attempt is made to make the reader desire something through denial. It's hacky. It's suboptimal. It's the central tenet of all sh---y dating advice. If you want someone to care about a book, write a story they care about.”

”It’s the publisher’s job to find a creative team with heart for the project and then get it to the right audience,” added Osajyefo. “Guardians of the Galaxy gave Marvel territory in sci-fi, Avengers is superhero drama, but exploratory, family adventure - that’s the Fantastic Four.”

”It’s clear which characters are absent, and that’s a darned shame because I assume both Marvel editorial and fans have love for the Fantastic Four,” he continued. “Maybe that will be rekindled the way it has been with X-Men, but without a ride at Disneyland, their future is dubious.”

YakSpiller

Superstar
Daps
:gladbron: breh you helped develop MUA1?? Prolly the best marvel universe console release to date . Man I remember we got the Hulk and Venom as DLC later and Moon Knight was pre-order exculsive.

Had some of my best gaming memories as comic book head with that game like...
Smashing out Doom as the Hulk, Silver Surfer, Dr. Strange and Ghost Riser :banderas:
Or wrecking shyt with BP, Blade, Luke Cage and Storm as team Black Excellence :blessed:

Who were the other characters yall HAD to implement upon Marvel's request? Damn it's been almost 10 years since that piff first dropped. :whew:

That game is the reason I play Future Fight.