Immigration. Lets talk about it.

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
Yup, it has been chaos for 200+ years.

:dwillhuh:

Notice how you only care about one border though.

at a certain level it has been chaos for 200 years, american history can be interpreted as a 200 year fight for the rule of law, but that fight for the rule of law is better than people not even believing in the concept of the rule of law in the first place

what makes you think i only care about one border? in fact my point is that black people did not really benefit from an influx of immigrants in the 20th century so why would black people benefit now?

all the borders should be controlled and all immigrants should follow the rule of law, that applies to everybody of all countries

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
Those people were citizens. I'm not sure that illegal immigrants have any standing to challenge 'unjust' laws when they aren't even supposed to be here.

:mjlol:

Of course they have standing.

Case 1:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yick_Wo_v._Hopkins

Even though the Chinese laundry owners were usually not American citizens, the court ruled they were still entitled to equal protection under the Fourteenth Amendment.

nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Case 2:
https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/163/228/case.html
it must be concluded that all persons within the territory of the United States are entitled to the protection guaranteed by those amendments, and that even aliens shall not be held to answer for a capital or other infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law.”

We can go to the Gitmo cases where a non-citizen prisoner successfully challenged US law as unconstitutional and immoral and WON:
http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2008/06/cour-j13.html

I assumed when I came into HL that we all started with the same basic set of facts. I'll pull up some numbers on our annual foreign aid to Latin America in a few.

What basic set of facts? I already said the US has involvement up and down the Americans. I merely asked which country you referring to and the numbers to back it up. I'm still waiting.

I'm multi-tasking. It's like walking and chewing bubble gum.

I'm sure that's it.

Consigliere

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
He's not white, there's a picture of duke, sucking on a banana, inside of tinychat, circulating all throughout TLR

bpW6Xkd.gif

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I'm somewhat in the middle on this.

The xenophobia and 'cism on the right is :scusthov: but at the same time, I think the idea of us having completely open borders is unrealistic (other countries don't do this) and would probably kill the economy. But what I'm saying isn't that I think anybody in US has the moral high ground or that only certain people have the moral "right" to come to the US, moreso that I just don't think it's really sane from an economic standpoint. I can't imagine how completely open borders wouldn't put a huge strain on our social infrastructure. Though if somebody has a good rationale for how this isn't the case, I'm all ears.

Also, sad though it may be, immigration to the US doesn't even put a dent in global poverty rates. 99.9% of desperately poor people around the world will never be in a position to move to a rich country (legally or illegally) and that would still be the case even if we tripled our current immigration rates or had completely open borders.

So I'd support a sane, humane immigration policy with reasonable limits on the number of immigrants per year and measures to make sure that immigrants from some areas aren't given unfair preference. :manny:

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
I'm somewhat in the middle on this.

The xenophobia and 'cism on the right is :scusthov: but at the same time, I think the idea of us having completely open borders is unrealistic (other countries don't do this) and would probably kill the economy. But what I'm saying isn't that I think anybody in US has the moral high ground or that only certain people have the moral "right" to come to the US, moreso that I just don't think it's really sane from an economic standpoint. I can't imagine how completely open borders wouldn't put a huge strain on our social infrastructure. Though if somebody has a good rationale for how this isn't the case, I'm all ears.

Also, sad though it may be, immigration to the US doesn't even put a dent in global poverty rates. 99.9% of desperately poor people around the world will never be in a position to move to a rich country (legally or illegally) and that would still be the case even if we tripled our current immigration rates or had completely open borders.

So I'd support a sane, humane immigration policy with reasonable limits on the number of immigrants per year and measures to make sure that immigrants from some areas aren't given unfair preference. :manny:

bingo

but as can be seen the other side of the cism is nutty also, dudes are literally saying immigration laws are immoral and people dont have to abide by them, according to typeusername immigration laws are akin to slavery