If you're a dark skinned female music artist, you won't sell albums in America

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
:mjlol: people are in here showing pictures of dark skinned female artists jazmine sullivan? kelly rowland?

these aren't powerhouse album movers and major players in the music industry

the OP is right...I watched a VH1 soul block on Lauryn Hill a few weeks ago and had forgotten how popular she was around the late 90's early -00's..there has definitely been a blatant shift in lighter and fairer skinned black female singers and entertainers

tinashe-rihanna.jpg

alicia-keys-stand-up-to-cancer-2012-01.jpg

FKA-twigs.jpg

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
lmao at you thinking badu is dark.

That's part of the reason why OP's question doesn't hold up. Yall are looking for dark brown people when milk chocolate.medium is more common. If people like this aren't getting grouped in as dark skinned

9MQ6XMr.jpg

fYbFOCQ.jpg

...you're going to have hard time finding what you consider "dark". You're basically saying, these people don't qualify as "dark skinned"

because they don't look like

.....now I agree, they're not considered dark skinned by black peoples standards but compared to a "yellow" light skinned black, they are relatively dark skinned

Yall are in some deep denial. Jasmine Sullivan, K Michelle, Janet Jackson and some of the others mentioned are not dark skin. You been looking at biracial/ latinas and white women too much.

maxresdefault.jpg

^^^that's not dark skinned? what planet are you on? Just because someone isn't blue black doesn't make them light skinned. Light skinned = Blake Griffin, Mariah Carey, Nicole Ari Parker, that bish from Empire. If you ain't lighter than a light brown paper bag you ain't light skinned brehs. It seems that a lot of these newblacks subconsciously consider themselves lightskinned when they're not :mjpls: Even Rihanna is not that light skinned, get a life negroes :snoop:

agreed 100%.

Chichi Manietzsche

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Long Beach, CA
maxresdefault.jpg

^^^that's not dark skinned? what planet are you on? Just because someone isn't blue black doesn't make them light skinned. Light skinned = Blake Griffin, Mariah Carey, Nicole Ari Parker, that bish from Empire. If you ain't lighter than a light brown paper bag you ain't light skinned brehs. It seems that a lot of these newblacks subconsciously consider themselves lightskinned when they're not :mjpls: Even Rihanna is not that light skinned, get a life negroes :snoop:

I mean honestly. I remember back in my day, their was "light-skinned" aka 'light, bright, and damn near white' and then there was..........everybody else. There wasn't all these sub- categories. Brown skinned, bright skinned, medium brown with light undertones, ect, ect. You was either lighter than a paper bag or you wasn't.

Just because someones not Lupita Nyong'o dark, doesn't mean they're not dark-skinned brehs:francis:

Anyway, Janelle Monae is a pretty popular dark-skinned female artist out right now.

Last edited:

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's part of the reason why OP's question doesn't hold up. Yall are looking for dark brown people when milk chocolate.medium is more common. If people like this aren't getting grouped in as dark skinned

9MQ6XMr.jpg

fYbFOCQ.jpg

...you're going to have hard time finding what you consider "dark". You're basically saying, these people don't qualify as "dark skinned"

because they don't look like

.....now I agree, they're not considered dark skinned by black peoples standards but compared to a "yellow" light skinned black, they are relatively dark skinned

agreed 100%.

NONE OF THESE PEOPLE ARE DARK

to me dark is Wesley snips complexion, grace jones complexion etc. its a 4ucked up day when you americans consider anything that isn't bi-racial as dark skinned.

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I tried tellin em.

:francis:

this thread dumb as hell

like i just seen people talking bout Rihanna / Beyonce / Nicki not lightskinned :usure: i mean.... The music industry obviously is in the business of making $$$. I bet all these labels have a blueprint of what they want their R&B / soul artists to look like.

1st three pages full of brownskinned R&B singers... n1kkas playin dumb and actin like there aint no colorism

just admit the y'all dont fukk w/ Lupita dark females, and music industry don't either. And lets move on. be honest brehs

all in all, its sad. Lets love ourselves.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
this thread dumb as hell

like i just seen people talking bout Rihanna / Beyonce / Nicki not lightskinned :usure: i mean.... The music industry obviously is in the business of making $$$. I bet all these labels have a blueprint of what they want their R&B / soul artists to look like.

1st three pages full of brownskinned R&B singers... n1kkas playin dumb and actin like there aint no colorism

just admit y'all dont fukk w/ Lupita dark females and lets move on. be honest brehs
thread dumb as hell but you in here tryin to kick knowledge
:russell:

blackzeus

Superstar
Daps
I mean honestly. I remember back in my day, their was "light-skinned" aka 'light, bright, and damn near white' and then there was..........everybody else. There wasn't all these sub- categories. Brown skinned, bright skinned, medium brown with light undertones, ect, ect. You was either lighter than a paper bag or you wasn't.

Just because someones not Lupita Nyong'o dark, doesn't mean they're not dark-skinned brehs:francis:

Anyway, Janelle Monae is a pretty popular dark-skinned female artist out right now.

It still is that way to everybody else except #newblacks. All these nikkaz talkin' 'bout "That ain't darkskinned!" are nikkaz with the same skin tone who considered themselves lightskinned and are appalled at the reality they their supposed "lightskinnedness" was a figment of their imagination :heh: A lot of these nikkaz just found out Santa Claus ain't real :laff:

Yup

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Life
Nobody is taking credit from Beyoncé.
I'm saying if dark skin women want to be the face they can't promote lightskin women above darkskin women.
Darkskinned women are not promoting light skinned women. Stop it!!