How racist was that movie Passangers last year?

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I saw the movie and dont see a minor character dying from the sickness of waking too early as racism. Fishburne just happened to have this minor role. Lawrence couldn't resurrect the dying;only those put back asleep. So she could never help Fisburne. Minor white characters die in the newest alien too. That does not equal racism.

You need to watch the movie again.

Chris Pratt's character is declared dead by the machine before being brought back to life.

And the issue isn't just that the minor character dies. Its the utter disregard he's given. They dump his body off the ship into space. What's up with that? Fishburne's character is old. He most likely has a family. They are most likely on the ship. I'm sure they would have liked to bury him on that new planet so that his descendants could visit him. Now instead he's just floating in space.

Naw. This movie was mad racist. And it was made so people like you would overlook this symbolism.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Just saw that shyt on TV the other day. And the racism in it shocked me. Honestly it might be the most racist movie I've ever seen.

It starts off for 1.5 hrs being nothing more than a cac love drama in space. The movie has basically no plot. No meaning. It makes no sense other than two wack cacs having fun in an empty ship flying through space. Then all of a sudden they introduce Laurence Fishburne's character. He's given no intro. We're not given any background. We're given no reason to empathize with him. Then within 5 minutes of screen time he dies. Before he dies they have a chance to save him inside some advanced medical healing pod but they don't.

Later in the movie the cac lead dies in space but Jennifer Lawrence's character brings him back into the ship and puts him in the medical healing pod. And eventhough the pod declares him dead, she makes the machine do some reverse healing that brings a dead cac back to life. And just like that the two cac characters live happily ever after. But before the movie is finished they throw Laurence Fishburne's dead body into space.

I wouldn't have cared if they never had any black people in this movie. Essentially there wasn't any black person in the movie since Laurence Fishburne had such little screen time. But the fact his character was treated in such a menial almost non-human fashion was incredibly distributing. In fact, the movie treated Michael Sheen's android character with more humanity. Fishburne just shows up as some black guy with knowledge the white leads need then after he gives them the info he dies. The white man dies later in the movie as well but because he's white, he's brought back to life. And for good measure, rather than burying Laurence Fishburne's body in the forest this cac built in the space ship, they throw his ass into space.

Hollywood's racism knows no bounds.
sadly i wasted life watching this too.. but you're dead wrong

Fish had every organ of his failing.. the computer couldn't just patch that shyt up. white boy just ran out of oxygen.. easy fix

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Just saw that shyt on TV the other day. And the racism in it shocked me. Honestly it might be the most racist movie I've ever seen.

It starts off for 1.5 hrs being nothing more than a cac love drama in space. The movie has basically no plot. No meaning. It makes no sense other than two wack cacs having fun in an empty ship flying through space. Then all of a sudden they introduce Laurence Fishburne's character. He's given no intro. We're not given any background. We're given no reason to empathize with him. Then within 5 minutes of screen time he dies. Before he dies they have a chance to save him inside some advanced medical healing pod but they don't.

Later in the movie the cac lead dies in space but Jennifer Lawrence's character brings him back into the ship and puts him in the medical healing pod. And eventhough the pod declares him dead, she makes the machine do some reverse healing that brings a dead cac back to life. And just like that the two cac characters live happily ever after. But before the movie is finished they throw Laurence Fishburne's dead body into space.

I wouldn't have cared if they never had any black people in this movie. Essentially there wasn't any black person in the movie since Laurence Fishburne had such little screen time. But the fact his character was treated in such a menial almost non-human fashion was incredibly distributing. In fact, the movie treated Michael Sheen's android character with more humanity. Fishburne just shows up as some black guy with knowledge the white leads need then after he gives them the info he dies. The white man dies later in the movie as well but because he's white, he's brought back to life. And for good measure, rather than burying Laurence Fishburne's body in the forest this cac built in the space ship, they throw his ass into space.

:heh: That recap has me over here dying laughing. I hadn't ever seen the movie and never planned to, but I gotta watch it now.

Daps
Reppin
NULL

Fish had every organ of his failing.. the computer couldn't just patch that shyt up. white boy just ran out of oxygen.. easy fix

You must be white.

How is treating someone who is already dead easier to treat than someone who isn't? The white boy was DEAD and they brought him back to life. Laurence Fishburne wasn't dead.

Stop with this bullshyt.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
You must be white.

How is treating someone who is already dead easier to treat than someone who isn't? The white boy was DEAD and they brought him back to life. Laurence Fishburne wasn't dead.

Stop with this bullshyt.
nikka I just explained it. If you brought two people in a hospital, one stopped breathing and the other had complete organ shutdown, which one you think would be easier to revive?

People come back from flatlines every day. People don't come back from complete organ failure.

I'm black enough to know go that

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town

I think this conversation is going over your head. The writers CHOSE to write Fishbourne's character as being beyond saving and having every organ failing. This isn't about whether characters were racist, but why would a writer choose to make the only black character in the movie that sick and put him on a spaceship with so much responsilibility yet be beyond saving? Also, this movie falls within the classic magical negro trope, where a black character isn't given any in-depth characterization and just magically shows up to help the white protagonists survive, oh and he also dies and disappears just like the classic magical negro as well. This has been done before, and it's most certainly racist as hell.

Cabbage Patch

The Media scene in V is for Vendetta is the clue
Daps
Reppin
The Last Frontier

Every organ failing on the equivalent of the Elysium ship. :stopitslime: Nah, bruh. The writers fukked up -- just like they fukked up with Pratt and JLaw.

The machine said he couldn't bring Chris the Saboteur back because he was dead. JLaw had to figuratively 'hit it with a wrench' to get it to malfunction and say it would fix him after all.

That is not how that shyt works.

That ship could fix Fishburne but whoever built it had put a lot of caste system bullshyt in the programming. Fishburne was important to the operation of the ship, not Pratt, yet it's Fishburne who immediately had total body failure -- and the miracle ship was not programmed to fix any of it.

The key is the coffee machine.

I'm telling you, not being able to fix Fishburne is a lie. Hell given the malfunctions the ship may have pulled a HAL 9000 on a nikka. Or that whole ship could have been a Vault experiment. But the ship was shown to the audience to have a significant number of abilities which were intended not to be accessible to every passenger.

Question everything.

That movie refused to be as dark as its bones screamed for it to be.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town

OMG, thank you so much for saving me from watching this trash. I was already put off by a creepy stalker dude waking up a woman before she was supposed to get up so he could fulfill his little fantasy, but this just sells that the movie is trash for me.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
nikka I just explained it. If you brought two people in a hospital, one stopped breathing and the other had complete organ shutdown, which one you think would be easier to revive?

People come back from flatlines every day. People don't come back from complete organ failure.

I'm black enough to know go that

:dahell: Please direct me to the place where people who are declared DEAD come back to life every day.

The dude was declared DEAD by the computer. And then the bytch made him come back to life. Sorry but you ain't gonna get out of this one with some silly explanation that his heart just stopped momentarily and his heart was revved back up. The guy was DEAD. Then the machine did like 10 different surgeries. Go back and watch it. It wasn't just that his heart was brought back.

Blankthawtz

90-9-1 Principle
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Land of fukkery
Only a cac would be shocked by a brotha dying 5 minutes into a movie. Real nikkas been knowing this since at least the 80's. :stopitslime:

there was an old school movie from the 80's early 90's where this white dude and some white bytch was fighting some underwater sea monster...a black dude that was part of the crew helped them fight off the monster and all 3 of them surfaced in the ocean and started laughing cuz they survived...1 minute later the sea monster came back and attacked/killed the black guy and then miraculously disappeared back into the sea as the CACS backstroked to the mainland...credits role....:snoop:

Cabbage Patch

The Media scene in V is for Vendetta is the clue
Daps
Reppin
The Last Frontier
:dahell: Please direct me to the place where people who are declared DEAD come back to life every day.

The dude was declared DEAD by the computer. And then the bytch made him come back to life. Sorry but you ain't gonna get out of this one with some silly explanation that his heart just stopped momentarily and his heart was revved back up. The guy was DEAD. Then the machine did like 10 different surgeries. Go back and watch it. It wasn't just that his heart was brought back.
Actually prople are declared dead who aren't everyday. You don't have to flatline or have no brain activity. If your pulse rate is too low they'll throw you in the morgue -- like that lady who woke up only to die for real because they bodybagged her too quick. She fought like a beast, and that's how they found her.

But this movie isn't humans declaring death. It's a ship programmed in sinister ways declaring death.

You are absolutely right that this movie is bullshyt. I hate everything about this movie.

Interloper

Lurker Extraordinaire
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 219
there was an old school movie from the 80's early 90's where this white dude and some white bytch was fighting some underwater sea monster...a black dude that was part of the crew helped them fight off the monster and all 3 of them surfaced in the ocean and started laughing cuz they survived...1 minute later the sea monster came back and attacked/killed the black guy and then miraculously disappeared back into the sea as the CACS backstroked to the mainland...credits role....:snoop:

Leviathan?

Brad Piff

The Money & The Miles
Daps
Reppin
San Diego

this post is almost as big a waste of time as the movie
seeing as how you are inaccurate in your description

i would neg you but i see your rep has already been blasted to bolivia

NoChillJones

Banned
Daps

Breh he was a the captain, and he was gravely sick before they put him to sleep. The movie was garbage though, but not because of that.

IT was garbage because they didn't explain how 2 nobodies with no scientiifc backgrounds was able to figure out to fix one of the most complex machines known to man with former training or know how.......