How can Cyborg reach the modern prominence of BP?

ezrathegreat

Veteran
Daps
hell naw....you right, he doesnt suck, but he's crazy as hell lol...also, he'd be too much like batman...he should get some time in a batman show, but he's not lead material...

:ufdup:He's not crazy. The suit makes him crazy, but he's so mentally tough he still operates and functions with it. He's also nothing like Batman, he kills and doesn't care about Gotham or humanity. He only cares about his pledge to rid the world of evil.

Last edited:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Don't get me wrong i understand the need for good representation of black people in comic books but how you go about doing that is just as important as doing it. Storm is one of the most iconic black characters in any industry and she has shined with mostly white editors and writers behind the x-men books and her most iconic moments that make you love her are written by white men. I am not disregarding that peter being white does not help his marketability what i am saying that is despite being white and a sea of white men heroes he shines, like bruce and clark shines and that has more to do with who they are as characters and their deeds than their whiteness. Is their politics involved with comics industry of course, you going to run into that bs where ever you go but the greats like Dwayne are still able to create and tell great stories with compelling characters. Sometimes that means doing what Mcduffie did and making the millerverse or Mcfarlane and creating spawn with image. Now i know for a fact that black writers are dealing with more bs than white writers and are giving shorter leashes so i completely agree with you there.

Yea I don't think we disagree, and I did say several times that Spider-man, Batman, etc are characters that can transcend demographics, despite being white... compared to, say, Hawkeye lol.

What i'm also saying tho is that, because of those politics, like how DC fukked Dwayne McDuffie over during his Justice League run, simply saying "well just tell great and compelling stories" can undermine the point about recognizing the politics, as if (some of) these writers weren't trying to do just that.

i.e. DC tried to force a writer to kill off John Stewart a few short years ago, but the writer refused and stepped down, (fans found out and ish got messy); then the next two writers that were passionate about the character and wrote "great and compelling" stories (Van Jensen and Cullen Bunn) DC deaded their runs early (despite good sales) and forced Stewart into a book called "Hal Jordan and the GL Corps" as his only appearing comic book til this day.

It's easier to land on great and compelling stories for characters like Spider-Man and Batman over the course of 50, 60, 70 years of history, when they don't gotta habitually deal with shyt like that. Or when the industry is actively looking to make them cooler, instead of looking for ways to kill them off or bury them. Or job them out without payback. Also, there's a good amount of black folks with a very different perspective on how Storm has been written/treated in the x-books for the past... 15+ years at least, if not longer... but that's for someone else to pick up.

Now i definitely agree that some black writers, when given the opportunity, just go about things completely wrong. A good amount of BP fans feel that way about the current writer. What compounds this is that given they're so far and few between, plus the state of the industry, it can put a magnifying glass of higher expectations along with the shorter lease as you mentioned.

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:ufdup:He's not crazy. The suit makes him crazy but he's so mentally tough he still operates and functions with it. He's also nothing like Batman, he kills and doesn't care about Gotham or humanity. He only cares about his pledge to rid the world of evil.

uh huh...let me get this straight: he wants to rid the world of evil, by any means including killing, by wearing a suit that drives you insane?...but since he's so mentally tough, he can wear the suit and get the job done, instead of the suit just driving him insane?.....that's a nice way of saying he's crazy lol..

Still FloW

Gawd Of Shinobi
Daps
Reppin
Inside K. Michelle's Box
true, no character has the history of bp mainly cause he was the first black character, so they might not reach the levels he finna reach right now, but if done right, there are others that can have success....besides john stewart, one i think that could be a draw: michael **** aka mr terrific...he's one of the smartest (3rd at last count, created/uses t-spheres, performed open heart surgery on the spot when needed by just reading a book), wealthiest (self made), most athletic (meaning he's one of the best with hand to hand combat) people in dc...and he's run shyt as the leader of the the justice society...if they introduced him & brought him along slowly (since most dont know him), while staying true to the character (being equal to or only slightly behind bats in most shyt), and let him address some shyt black people face, i think people would rally around him.....

:lupe: damn brehh you really on to something with Mr. Terrific, that could actually work, he's like a mix of Lex/Reed Richards without the evil, if they implement a Black Excellence steez in him and put that on film, it'll totally work but they'll need to ease it in instead of just throwing the movie out there.. we need to find a way to get consultants to WB/DC cause we got some ideas that them old ass relics would not think of

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
Yea I don't think we disagree, and I did say several times that Spider-man, Batman, etc are characters that can transcend demographics, despite being white... compared to, say, Hawkeye lol.

What i'm also saying tho is that, because of those politics, like how DC fukked Dwayne McDuffie over during his Justice League run, simply saying "well just tell great and compelling stories" can undermine the point about recognizing the politics, as if (some of) these writers weren't trying to do just that.

i.e. DC tried to force a writer to kill off John Stewart a few short years ago, but the writer refused and stepped down, (fans found out and ish got messy); then the next two writers that were passionate about the character and wrote "great and compelling" stories (Van Jensen and Cullen Bunn) DC deaded their runs early (despite good sales) and forced Stewart into a book called "Hal Jordan and the GL Corps" as his only appearing comic book til this day.

It's easier to land on great and compelling stories for characters like Spider-Man and Batman over the course of 50, 60, 70 years of history, when they don't gotta habitually deal with shyt like that. Or when the industry is actively looking to make them cooler, instead of looking for ways to kill them off or bury them. Or job them out without payback. Also, there's a good amount of black folks with a very different perspective on how Storm has been written/treated in the x-books for the past... 15+ years at least, if not longer... but that's for someone else to pick up.

Now i definitely agree that some black writers, when given the opportunity, just go about things completely wrong. A good amount of BP fans feel that way about the current writer. What compounds this is that given they're so far and few between, plus the state of the industry, it can put a magnifying glass of higher expectations along with the shorter lease as you mentioned.
Interesting

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Cyborg will never be anything more than what he is, the 4th or 5th character in an ensemble. Kids don't even gravitate towards him, he's just not interesting enough on his own. The potential is there in his origin but with no true villains, a not so great design, kids knowing him more as a Titan than a Superfiend/JLA member

As where BP is, there have only been 5 superhero movies with the level that BP is on. Supes (78) because he was the first, Batman (89) because he was Batman, Spidey (02) because Spidey is the everyman, Wonder Woman (17) and now Panther. Panther is the only royal superhero...well, Aquaman, but he's still much of a joke among the older folks.

Static could've did it, as the first true child superhero flick, but DC dropped the ball. He should have at least received the Miles push...even back then. Hell, DC dropped the ball with everyone and that's why they are playing catch-up. The problem with Jon is that he's still part of a unit. Everyone is gonna have a different favorite GL. They could get behind Vixen or Bumblebee but they won't.

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
Cyborg will never be anything more than what he is, the 4th or 5th character in an ensemble. Kids don't even gravitate towards him, he's just not interesting enough on his own. The potential is there in his origin but with no true villains, a not so great design, kids knowing him more as a Titan than a Superfiend/JLA member

As where BP is, there have only been 5 superhero movies with the level that BP is on. Supes (78) because he was the first, Batman (89) because he was Batman, Spidey (02) because Spidey is the everyman, Wonder Woman (17) and now Panther. Panther is the only royal superhero...well, Aquaman, but he's still much of a joke among the older folks.

Static could've did it, as the first true child superhero flick, but DC dropped the ball. He should have at least received the Miles push...even back then. Hell, DC dropped the ball with everyone and that's why they are playing catch-up. The problem with Jon is that he's still part of a unit. Everyone is gonna have a different favorite GL. They could get behind Vixen or Bumblebee but they won't.
They have characters but will DC get behind them and do the heavy lifting

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Does DC even have ownership of the character? Honestly if Hardware, Icon and Rocket, and Blood Syndicate aren't included I not sure if I really want it

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
This is a bait thread.. how many black marvel heroes can match the even solo scale of Black Panther ??? NONE,

for the simple fact that BP is more than JUST a super hero, he's a king with a RICH AFRICAN history and wealth, his story was always going to be an event. you think a war machine or falcon is putting up numbers ??

you nikkas need to chill with these lame threads..

anyways, only one as others have said is John S.. but since the GLC movie isnt a solo but a buddy flick it's not gonna be an event per say... i wish you nikkas will get out your ass instead of saying dumb things
Storm can....She's bigger than Black Panther.

Daps
Warner will never invests and put the amount of promo needed to makr cyborg a top teir character let face it dceu is done....:hhh: