How can Cyborg reach the modern prominence of BP?

parallax

Superstar
Daps
No one has ever went out and purchased a storm comic book. I dont even know if she had her own solo series before. The fact is the popular characters even the ones in groups always get their own spinoff. If they can carry that on their own then they are established characters. If not, then they aren’t that popular. This is the reason Antman had lower expectations than all the other avengers movies. He was the least read character of all them. I know plenty of people who’ve read Thor, Hulk, Cap, and even some Ironman solos. But Storm? Always part of an ensemble. True she was one of my favorite X-men. But outside of Wolverine, I wasn’t interested in any of the other characters solo adventures. If they can’t carry a solo comic they probably can’t carry a solo trilogy of films. This is reason Gambit will likely flop. Nobody is checking for a solo Gambit adventure. He’s a cool Xman but boring on his own. Same goes for cyborg, as a teen titan? Flames. but as solo act?:francis:

theres a well of difference between gambit and cyborg. gambit has had multiple solos as well as team led books. and despite what people will try to tell you now, was one of the most popular marvel characters. the closest cyborg has had to popularity is the teen titans cartoon, and he was an admitted second banana to robin. i dontthinkit will be successful, but is due to the development side of the movie, not the character

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
Black Panther works not just because of Black Panther, but because Wakanda is tied to him. Exploring Afro-futurism is one of the key aspects of the Black Panther hype. Not to mention the black characters that inhabit Wakanda.

I'd like to join this conversation focusing on what I believe is the most important point in this thread: Black Panther is a character, an idea, and a universe.

Nothing can have the success of a BP without those 3 things lining up.

When you think Batman, you think: the cape crusader, a gritty super hero crime fighter in gotham, and the city of Gotham and all of it's classic evil villains

Batman is the premier stand alone character because his identity was built to stand alone and be a part of the Gotham fabric. You can write 20 different stories, with 20 different villains, that explore 20 different sides of Batman and the city of Gotham. It's always an adventure when pen hits the page.

I've seen people throw out things like Steel, Mr. Fantastic - ok? But what universe are you going to develop to draw black audiences in? What antagonist will bring out the best in the universe?

Mike B stole the show for the BP movie. Heath Ledger stole the show for Dark Knight. Instead of focusing on characters, let's focus on ideas/concepts and universe's that provide endless possibilities to tell OUR story.

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
That's not the point breh. There's something to be said about being first. Always. Superman was huge when it came out partly because it was "first." Batman was huge in 89 partially because it was the first in 20 years.
First what? We seen black comic book movies before.

We seen black movies with mostly all black cast.

It's Disney/Marvel who put alot leg work with the rollout from comics to the Cinematic Universe(with already powerful Marvel brand ), its the main reason it pop.

It's all marketing and the amount money they put in to set it up. Lets stop acting like everybody knew Marvel black panther like he was spiderman status or something(because i sure don't remember all this love the last 20 yrs from non die hard fans). Marvel made people care who would never care to pick up his comic

Now Static might not be in your age rank but for other it was their spiderman. Over the years Static from his comic run to the popular award winning "Static Shock " show gain a strong following from comic readers & non comic reader. With the right direction and effort like Marvel did with Black Panther i can see the first static movie be urge event (like they try to do with miles)

shyt look what they did with Luke Cage on Netflix

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
First what? We seen black comic book movies before.

We seen black movies with mostly all black cast.

It's Disney/Marvel who put alot leg work with the rollout from comics to the Cinematic Universe(with already powerful Marvel brand ), its the main reason it pop.

It's all marketing and the amount money they put in to set it up. Lets stop acting like everybody knew Marvel black panther like he was spiderman status or something(because i sure don't remember all this love the last 20 yrs from non die hard fans). Marvel made people care who would never care to pick up his comic

Now Static might not be in your age rank but for other it was their spiderman. Over the years Static from his comic run to the popular award winning "Static Shock " show gain a strong following from comic readers & non comic reader. With the right direction and effort like Marvel did with Black Panther i can see the first static movie be urge event (like they try to do with miles)

shyt look what they did with Luke Cage on Netflix

We haven’t seen a black superhero on this level. Blade is a vampire. Spawn is black for like 5 min in an almost two hour long movie. And let’s not talk about steel. This looks like someone put on their big boy pants and decided to do it big. And it’s hitting at the right moment in the zeitgeist much like Wonder Woman did. So no like I said there’s something said and something to bring first out the gate or being first of your kind. That doesn’t mean marvel didn’t promote it right. Nor does it mean WB didn’t promote Wonder Woman right. shyt there was a supergirl movie years ago. But people know when something looks cheap and when something looks like someone put all the money on screen.

And yes static has built a following but static doesn’t have an ongoing book right now which would also need to happen to further build that fan base because that’s how the stories continue. And one of the writers who was on that book when they relaunched it in 2011 said the reason it was cancelled is because no one was buying the book. So if the fans are really there they gotta put money where their mouths are.

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Her stories sold though. No one is really selling these days during the internet age except Amazing Spider Man and Batman.
Her last book was cancelled prematurely. I know the goddamned editor for the book breh. I'm telling you it wasn't selling.

In August if 2016 BP had the highest selling #1 of that year. Please stop. Most of the issue with storm is she's never been written by a black woman.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
Her last book was cancelled prematurely. I know the goddamned editor for the book breh. I'm telling you it wasn't selling.

In August if 2016 BP had the highest selling #1 of that year. Please stop. Most of the issue with storm is she's never been written by a black woman.
We all know the fukking Storm sales. I'm talking Storm was on top when this shyt used to sell..like I said, nothing really sells except Batman and Amazing Spider-Man. Female Thor sold really well for awhile too.

And Black Panther got canceled and rebooted several times. So watch that slick shyt and get your mind right, "breh" because Storm is a fukking icon compared to Black Panther...who recently was pushed in like the last decade and a half.

Storm was the leader of t he X teams when they hundreds of thousands a month routinely in the 90s. Black Panther was just a sidekick underpushed charscter back then that barely made it on the FF TV show.

Neuromancer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
We all know the fukking Storm sales. I'm talking Storm was on top when this shyt used to sell..like I said, nothing really sells except Batman and Amazing Spider-Man. Female Thor sold really well for awhile too.
That's three books. Saga also sells as did Wicked +Divine and The Walking Dead. I've worked in comics in various capacities for years. Comics sell to their core. Storm never sold and stating that she was on top isn't something that can be proven in the context of her in X-men. It's a team book. Ppl buy it for the team. Sure she had good parts in the team, but her book would have sold if she had fans like that, real fans not lipservice.

Neuromancer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
false.. she doesn't have the gravitas nor world enriching awe that is Wakanda..

it will be a buzz among blacks but not on the level as BP, black feminists will try to make it seem like its on BP level but i can guarantee you a Storm solo wont get this much push/hype

but its a werid era we're in, i could be wrong :yeshrug:
Won't breh her comic failed. It was out around the time of the Death of Wolverine. It tanked.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
what was the last issue of STORM?
the one where she saved that plane from crashing with that racist ass white woman in it?
damn! i think that shyt only had like 3 issues!
:snoop:

C L O N E*0690//////
Daps
Reppin
uptXwn***///***///
call the shyte victor stone finds god

the mother box is divine tech basically right¿

he's channeling energy from the source right¿

he's a vessel of the divine/god

motherfukkers love religion blend in some southern baptist aesthetic touches and undertones

boom you got a ready made existential crisis with cultural significance