Hidden Figures (Official Thread)

OGBobbyJohnson

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Tri State Area
You can't please some people.

You could have a movie about black women directed and written by a black woman, but if TLR found out she used to be a lifeguard and once gave mouth to mouth to a drowning white kid they'd call her a bedwench for "saving the life of a child who would go on to propagate the agenda of white supremacy."
LMAOOO

mr x

Superstar
Daps
This looks good and its also a story about black women that hasn't been told before and their contribution to NASA and the moon landing program.

For all the talk in this forum about how there are no stories being told about us that don't involve slavery or us laughing and joking in buddy cop flicks or buddy flicks period, this should be a must watch for every single person who's ever opened their mouth to say that. None of this bootlegging shyt either:stopitslime:

There was a thread "how many of these black films have you've seen this year" last year; and the truth is ppl ain't seeing most of them.

I say that, because ppl will try to get at ppl for not seeing certain flicks, when there's so much they haven't seen themselves.

(not picking on you, speaking generally. I actually just saw this trailer today after I was in the birth of a nation vs madea thread and thought will people get behind this as well.)

On topic...Interesting story...and the three leads look great.
Janelle getting her act on. Didn't realize she was in Moonlight too :leon:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
There was a thread "how many of these black films have you've seen this year" last year; and the truth is ppl ain't seeing most of them.

I say that, because ppl will try to get at ppl for not seeing certain flicks, when there's so much they haven't seen themselves.

(not picking on you, speaking generally. I actually just saw this trailer today after I was in the birth of a nation vs madea thread and thought will people get behind this as well.)

On topic...Interesting story...and the three leads look great.
Janelle getting her act on. Didn't realize she was in Moonlight too :leon:

You're right homie. I'm not saying I see everything but I do support the stuff I feel like looks interesting and is a different look for us. This fits both categories and I'd hate to see people sleep on it but then cry about how we don't get anything

mr x

Superstar
Daps
You're right homie. I'm not saying I see everything but I do support the stuff I feel like looks interesting and is a different look for us. This fits both categories and I'd hate to see people sleep on it but then cry about how we don't get anything

I agree.

On topic again...It seems this film has a bit of critical buzz. That's good to see.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Jon Favreau on ‘Hidden Figures’
Director: Theodore Melfi

Many months ago, after filming “Hidden Figures,” Ted Melfi shared with me his book of production stills and explained the story, but I had no idea what to expect from the movie. Who were these characters and what was this chapter of the space race that I had never heard of? I was later invited to see a work in progress and it pulled me in from beginning to end. I was hooked by the movie itself and the story it told.
I’ve been both a friend and a fan of Ted’s work over the years, but I had no way of anticipating the impact of what I saw. The story is an inspiring snapshot of a moment in our history that is both timeless and timely. It presents a potential path from our complicated past as it evolves through the synergy of interdependence and seized opportunity. Together these disparate characters strive for the common goal of innovation in the face of overwhelming odds and external competition.

It takes a talented filmmaker to extract a story like this out of the textbooks and imbue it with immediate relevance and emotional stakes. Ted collected a magnificent array of talent both in front of and behind the camera. The music, cast, script and visuals all work together to personalize what could’ve easily felt like a history lesson but instead speaks to issues of society, education and technology that remain relevant today. I look forward to watching “Hidden Figures” again, but this time with my children.
Directors Share Their Takes on Some of 2016’s Most Impactful Films

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You can't please some people.

You could have a movie about black women directed and written by a black woman, but if TLR found out she used to be a lifeguard and once gave mouth to mouth to a drowning white kid they'd call her a bedwench for "saving the life of a child who would go on to propagate the agenda of white supremacy."

:russ:

A-Train

Express.
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Got to catch this early. Janelle Monae gave a better performance in this than she did in Moonlight.

Very inspiring film

Me and my girl were sitting next to a few teenage black girls who were shocked at some of the scenes that showcased segregation and many of the "colored only" signs :snoop: what are these kids learning in school?

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
I really enjoyed it. The script was tighter and less cheesy than the trailer, and the acting was really good. All three leads were excellent. Kevin Costner did his usual, but it was serviceable for the movie, and that guy who plays Sheldon in Big Bang Theory was a great a$$hole. Kirsten Dunst was a pretty good a$$hole too. lol. I really like the way they portrayed black families, and how even though the focus was on the women, they showed positive and capable black men supporting their efforts and the family. But it wasn't heavy handed and saccharine, it felt more real than a lot of these kind of movies. That being said, I expected a bit more familial and personal drama, but this is based on the autobiography of one of the women, and maybe she just didn't want to air dirty laundry.

Also, another thing it did well was build tension surrounding the space launch. Even though it's history and we knew how it would turn out, they were able to show why this was so high stakes and the kind of nerve wrecking anticipation and risks involved. It really made me reevaluate the sheer craziness of traveling into space, and what an accomplishment it is that we can do that. It also gave me pause about life before computers, and the people who were behind all of the remarkable things we use today.

I'd give this two thumbs up, or a 9/10.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Janelle monae :noah:

This looks good though definitely checking it out when it hits vod, not really compelled to go to the theater for this and it's as cold as Mars outside

mr x

Superstar
Daps
I really enjoyed it. The script was tighter and less cheesy than the trailer, and the acting was really good. All three leads were excellent. Kevin Costner did his usual, but it was serviceable for the movie, and that guy who plays Sheldon in Big Bang Theory was a great a$$hole. Kirsten Dunst was a pretty good a$$hole too. lol. I really like the way they portrayed black families, and how even though the focus was on the women, they showed positive and capable black men supporting their efforts and the family. But it wasn't heavy handed and saccharine, it felt more real than a lot of these kind of movies. That being said, I expected a bit more familial and personal drama, but this is based on the autobiography of one of the women, and maybe she just didn't want to air dirty laundry.

Also, another thing it did well was build tension surrounding the space launch. Even though it's history and we knew how it would turn out, they were able to show why this was so high stakes and the kind of nerve wrecking anticipation and risks involved. It really made me reevaluate the sheer craziness of traveling into space, and what an accomplishment it is that we can do that. It also gave me pause about life before computers, and the people who were behind all of the remarkable things we use today.

I'd give this two thumbs up, or a 9/10.

when you say you expected more familial drama..did you want to see more...or just thought there would be more?