Han Solo: A Star Wars Story [Official Thread] (2018)

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
haven't seen it yet, just have one question - is this gonna secure the fact that Emilia Clarke is fukkin awful? She's the worst actress in the world and you can't convince me otherwise. haven't heard a single peep about that character, and without bleached blonde hair she's extremely boring looking
It would be interesting to see how she plays the character going forward, anything is better than rey :manny:

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
I could see that :yeshrug:

Some Kathleen Kennedyisms I noticed:

- that pirate turning out to be a young girl.
- a lady robot telling a black man that she wants equal rights (@Ziggiy ).
- Qi'ra won every fight she was in, while Han/Lando/Beckett all took L's.
- Han's lucky charms being a big thing now, they were trivial in the OG movies+TFA. They came up with this shyt in TLA and now Solo went extra to legitimize their importance.
- Finn got a kiss on the forehead from Rey and a peck from Rose, but Woody was tongueing down his black lady while everyone looked on like :mjgrin:

It may just because I'm a female, but if you put change the gender for all of these things you listed, it's like what I've been used to seeing from men since I started watching movies. No one complains when men do crazy stunt shyt that is impossible or ridiculously over the top. You guys just seem to accept it because it's a man doing it. It's a SW movie. It's science fiction, all of.a sudden gender is a problem when people win fights or do crazy stunts with little obstacle? Stuff has been over the top and ridiculous for a long time.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Unless this pulls some incredible legs,this movie is a straight up box office bomb.

This opened wide this week end over seas and only made $65 million, and $83 million domestic for a $148 million total.

We are looking at a $400-450 million Run, the first ever bomb in star wars history that could lose upwards of $200 million. It could actually make less than $400 Million.

Last edited:

Amerikan Melanin

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Nothing will please me more than this movie bombing.

There is a formula to action movies, horror and sci-Fi. Men drive the sales not women.

If a dude wants to go see a movie his lady tags along and he buys 2 tickets, if they go as a family that’s more tickets.

If the man isn’t interested it’s RARE that a woman will go to the movie by herself or with her girls.

Titanic may be the only movie in history that appealed to women and made bank at the box office.

Wonder Woman has 50+ years of canon that people can follow, stop trying to force the next one on us.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
At the end of the day, if you tell a good story that is all I care about, Emily Clarke was interesting other than her acting skills, rey plain Jane looking ass curving a dude they made out to be a simp so he can later hook up with some fat Chinese chick is unacceptable. It is a bit too much world building going on, they need to make the movie they are working on currently right before bouncing to something else

Part of the reason this movie isn't doing well is because women would rather do something else than spend two hours in the movie theater

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
It may just because I'm a female, but if you put change the gender for all of these things you listed, it's like what I've been used to seeing from men since I started watching movies. No one complains when men do crazy stunt shyt that is impossible or ridiculously over the top. You guys just seem to accept it because it's a man doing it. It's a SW movie. It's science fiction, all of.a sudden gender is a problem when people win fights or do crazy stunts with little obstacle? Stuff has been over the top and ridiculous for a long time.

I really understand where you're coming from. And in general you're right.

Star Wars, however, is not the example. Luke and Anakin spent the majority of both their trilogies failing and getting beat the fukk up. It turned Luke into a man who defeated Vader in Jedi and Anakin into a twisted psychopath.

They also had their heroic feats, but they were very flawed.

Obi-Wan loses every fight he's in but manages to win because of his wits.

There is no male equivalent to these ladies who take no L's in one on ones and match their opponents without training.

What Rey does to Kylo over two movies is really ridiculous in the SW context .

taker597

Superstar
Daps
Star Wars was never about that to be honest till recently when they started making very cartoon characters that can do anything
All the OT characters have clear flaws and shortcoming. They where all strong, but in a realistic and relatable manner. Han had his charm, cleverness, and superior pilot skills, and veteran scroundal wisdom. Yet, he was never exactly smart or very crafty outside of shooting computers. Leia was always a strong minded, intelligent, and leader amongst people where she used every advantage that she could get. Yet, she isn't a master Warrior. Luke really only had force sensitive power, moderate pilot skills, and later on.. Jedi wisdom. They really needed each other and be team.

Rey on the other hand. She can basically do anything at any time. It basically made Finn and Poe useless as supporting characters with Finn having very little skill outside of his witty charm and Poe only being useful in x-wing.

It's probably the reason why the new Star Wars has such a characterization problem. They make female characters be the modern day Hollywood male archetype, but Star Wars never feature that kind of character. So, it gets rejected by fans.

Last edited:

Jorvan

All Star
Daps
Just got back from the theaters.It was an okay movie. I didn't have a problem with the characters, but the plot of the movie was really generic and not that interesting.Overall I'd give it a 7. I enjoyed it more than the Last Jedi, but its not touching Rogue One or the Force Awakens.

They could have at least gave Maul an action scene if they were going to put him in the movie:hhh:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly

I think they problem with these newer Star Wars films are that the characters aren't created equal. if you go to the G, Leia was a badass, but equal footing was given to everyone. Hell, Luke was the worst in SW, and he was the protagonist. First scene has her mouthing off at dudes that you know are gonna torture her, then when she's rescued it's "someone has to saving our skins." Then you have characters like Ripley, Sarah Connor in T2, anything Geena Davis was in, Kathleen Turner, hell, Nancy Thompson from Freddy, Laurie from Halloween...there are great examples of strong, leading women, without bringing down anyone. I'll watch a movie that I'm interested in, no matter who's the lead.

I don't think many really had a problem with Rey being the lead character, but she's overpowered from the gate and has no story arc. I think it's also insulting to everyone, including her, that they prop her up while deminishing great traits of everyone else involved.