Early-season ratings decline continues for NFL (Update: Ratings plummeting((officially in free fall)

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
1.png
The NFL's TV ratings are down and the World Series suggests the presidential election is not the biggest culprit
The NFL's television ratings are down across the board and the league has blamed the decline on the presidential election. However, if that were the biggest reason, we would expect to see a similar decline in the MLB playoffs and that has not been the case.

After posting strong TV ratings during the early rounds of the playoffs, the World Series is off to a huge start with fans, averaging more than 19.0 million viewers through two games, according to Sports Media Watch. That's up 32% from last year and matches the Yankees-Phillies matchup in 2009 for the top-rated World Series in the past 11 years.

Over the last few years, the average World Series game has drawn a TV audience that was comparable to a "Monday Night Football" game. But while the World Series is way up this year, "Monday Night Football's" average audience is down 22%, much like the rest of the NFL.

1.png
Cork Gaines/Business Insider

This suggests that the presidential election can't be the biggest culprit.

So, if the presidential election is not the biggest reason for the NFL's decline, what is the explanation? Others have blamed poor matchups, a decline in the quality of the product, an increase in other entertainment options, and even just a natural correction that was inevitable for something so immensely popular.

Like most things, the true answer is probably some combination of the above. But whatever the reason, it has to scare the NFL. Because if it is not the election, there is no guarantee of a rebound next year
Goodell running out of excuses :blessed:

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Seriously. Get rid of Thursday Night Football, shyt is over-saturation.

Then stop the defensive holding penalties. They've seriously called twice as many defensive holding calls compared to 10+ years ago. Too many penalties slows the games down. Sure you get high scoring games, but that's because QB's hit quick passes that go for YAC. People want to see sacks and interceptions, it brings drama.

There is no reason why a sport with 4 quarters should take longer than 9 innings of baseball.

Last edited:

Joe Sixpack

Build and Destroy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rotten Apple
It's too much football.. I'm a certified football crackhead and I'm burned out Sunday. I'm at the bar all day watching games then I come and watch a little Sunday night game till halftime then I go to bed. The Monday Night package is ass too and then I'm supposed to watch Thursday night filth??

It's too much

Last edited:

Joe Sixpack

Build and Destroy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rotten Apple
Seriously. Get rid of Thursday Night Football, shyt is over-saturation.

Then stop the defensive holding penalties. They've seriously called twice as many defensive holding calls compared to 10+ years ago. Too many penalties slows the games down. Sure you get high scoring games, but that's because QB's hit quick passes that go for YAC. People want to see sacks and interceptions, it brings drama.

There is no reason why a sport with 4 quarters should take longer than 9 innings of baseball.
Thursday Night is a waste but they won't get rid of it you can forget about that. The players wouldn't go to 18 games so Goodell was ok hold this Thursday night shyt then. Plus the NFL sold that package again to CBS for more money on top of what they get for the Sunday package. The NFL is caking like crazy..

Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's too much football.. I'm a certified football crackhead and I'm burned out Sunday. I'm at the bar all day watching games then I come and watch a little Sunday night game till halftime then I go to bed. The Monday Night package was ass too so that matchup sucks and then I'm supposed to watch Sunday night filth??

It's too much

Yep the Sunday night game is the better game but by that time you're tired from watching so much football

It was better when Monday night had the good game so now both games are ruined

Frump

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The good news is that the only way the NFL will look into change is if their bottom line is effected and lower ratings can do that

Bad news is Goodell will probably answer this by getting rid of the red zone or some shyt

cook

Banned
Daps
Need to change the rules again. Peyton and Bill Polian ruined the game by handcuffing defenses. Now every team wanna throw all day even though their QB sucks. The RB position is basically extinct. Even if you were a crap team you used to atleast be able to find a superstar RB with your high draft picks and be somewhat competitive/interesting.

///Vega+++

All Star
Daps
the season is like 4 months long and yet people complain about too much football
what does that say about the sport