"Drake's Views from the 6 needs to be a classic or else"-Charlamagne

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
It won't be. It will be forever difficult for Drake to make a "classic". Almost all hiphop "classics" have had a theme and typically focused around street/hood shyt. Nothing Drake does will really fall into that, especially with the singing.
Looking at the classics lists (in general) and finding the least street artists on these lists - I see that you are right ...:jbhmm: The least 'street in their music' of the artist's with classic albums Beastie Boys, Outkast, Jungle Brothers, Biz Markie, Slick Rick, De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, Kanye, Common, The Pharcyde, Souls of Mischief, Eminem, Lauryn Hill etc all had street and hood shyt in their albums. :lupe:

reserved_one

#Ambivertgang
Daps
Reppin
So.ILL/Raider Nation
Not trying to knock anyone's opinion but I don't think Drake has any classics or a "classic" in him. His music is too disposable and shallow for it to age gracefully years from now. Take Care is the only good-great album he's ever made and that was mostly due to Weeknd's presence/fingerprints over the record.
Rest of his albums besides that one were either :scust: or :russell: or :ehh:. Nothing that'll make you go :krs: :blessed: unless your a die hard stan.

So I agree with Charlmagne...He needs this album to be a classic, a walk off homerun to silence the critics because if he doesn't....its a wrap. Talks about him being washed, a fraud, etc will go from whispers to screams

Nature's Fury

addicts of drugs not yet synthesized
Daps
Take Care's classic status was only in its omnipresence...album was everywhere when it dropped, but there were a lot of underwhelming tracks on it and that slow section from Cameras to Look What You Done was over 20 minutes long of milquetoast crooning...album was overdone for no reason...

Drake has no classics...NWTS was the closest he's come, but even that fell short...

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
Take Care's classic status was only in its omnipresence...album was everywhere when it dropped, but there were a lot of underwhelming tracks on it and that slow section from Cameras to Look What You Done was over 20 minutes long of milquetoast crooning...album was overdone for no reason...

Drake has no classics...NWTS was the closest he's come, but even that fell short...

See that's the trick of the last 10-15 years: omnipresence.

if you can convince the weak-minded that an album is everywhere, then they'll call it classic.

Nevermind the GOAT contenders were never omnipresent like that. They weren't totally overlooked either. Just a comfortable in-between.

NvrCMyNut

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Drake is either in the Blueprint 2 era or Sammy Sosa post PEDS exposal, either way I can't see Views not being wack-mediocre.

Correct. NWTS was a disappointment to a lot of people when it dropped, TC was elevated to forced classic status when NWTS dropped and it became apparent that Drake was consistently mediocre.

THE MACHINE

night owl
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Drake is either in the Blueprint 2 era or Sammy Sosa post PEDS exposal, either way I can't see Views not being wack-mediocre.

Correct. NWTS was a disappointment to a lot of people when it dropped, TC was elevated to forced classic status when NWTS dropped and it became apparent that Drake was consistently mediocre.
:wow:

Randoug

Superstar
Daps
Drake has made safe music all his career..its catchy in the moment stuff that you forget about the next year..He has cleverly jumped from wave to wave much like HOV but he hasn't made anything that stands out à la Blueprint or Reasonable doubt which leaves his legacy rather murky.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
Imo he's yet to deliver on the promise of SFG which still remains his boldest work. he got there again on take care but only in bits and spurts.

since then I feel he's gotten worse with each passing year.

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It won't be. It will be forever difficult for Drake to make a "classic". Almost all hiphop "classics" have had a theme and typically focused around street/hood shyt. Nothing Drake does will really fall into that, especially with the singing.

People's Instinctive Travels
Low End
Midnight Marauders
The Score
Bizarre Ride...
Aquemini

Do I need to keep going, or we good here...