Staff member
Supporter
Daps
yeah
youre right

i cant believe i only saw that movie twice
but i love the hell out of it!

shyt was so sad imo

It's a classic. Guillermo Del Toro needs to stick to Spanish-speaking movies though. All his Spanish movies are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the ones in English.

Fred.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
It's a classic. Guillermo Del Toro needs to stick to Spanish-speaking movies though. All his Spanish movies are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the ones in English.

Fred.
wooooooooord!!!!!

• Dap
Reactions: hex

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I didn't realize this movie has 4 endings :dwillhuh:

The bluray has 3 alternate endings on it apparently and none of which are the theatrical ending ( which is the last time I saw this).

I hate when they do shyt like that.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I didn't realize this movie has 4 endings :dwillhuh:

The bluray has 3 alternate endings on it apparently and none of which are the theatrical ending ( which is the last time I saw this).

I hate when they do shyt like that.

What are the alternate endings?

Fred.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Actually @hex here's a better breakdown of all of em.

Theatrical:

Mike survives, and he and Lily are seen back together in their home, although she is doubtful of the supernatural events he has related to her. Lily finds Mike's possessions that were salvaged from 1408 and suggested disposing of them because they are ruined by smoke. Mike takes them, saying, "Bad memories are not to be forgotten, they are meant to be lived with." Lily now realizes Mike is ready to move beyond his daughter's death. Suddenly they hear Katie's voice on the mini-cassette recorder, confirming his account.

Alternate endings[edit]
In addition to the ending that appears in the theatrical release version, three other endings were shot. None of the four endings match the ending of King's original short story.

Test audience ending #1[edit]
Director Mikael Håfström said that the ending for 1408 was reshot because test audiences felt that the original ending was too much of a "downer".[3] This first alternate ending was used in the theatrical release. The original discarded ending had Mike dying in the fire, but happy to see the room destroyed. During Mike's funeral, Olin approaches Lily and Sam. He unsuccessfully attempts to give her a box of Mike's possessions, including the tape recorder. Olin claims that the room was successfully destroyed and that it will no longer hurt anyone else. He later listens to the recording in his car, and becomes visibly upset when he hears Katie's voice on the tape. He looks in the car mirror and sees a vision of Enslin's burnt corpse in the back seat, then he sees a father and daughter hold hands as they walk away. Olin places the tape recorder back in the box and drives off. The final scene is of the gutted room, where an apparition of Mike looks out the window while smoking a cigarette. He hears his daughter calling his name, and he disappears as he walks toward her. A door is heard closing and the scene fades to black.

This ending is the default ending on the Blu-ray release and two-disc collector's edition. Canadian networks Space and The Movie Network, and U.S. network FX broadcast this version of the film, but Space broadcast the theatrical ending on July 23, 2012. This ending is also used on the U.K. and Australian DVDs, and the U.S. iTunes, Netflix and Amazon Prime versions of the film. The incentive for filming three alternate endings was based on the director's belief that King's intention, in his original short story, was to leave the conclusion ambiguous.

Test audience ending #2[edit]
Another ending uses elements from both the theatrical ending and the discarded original ending. Mike dies in the fire; afterwards Olin remarks, "Well done, Enslin. Well done." Instead of the funeral scene, the sounds of a funeral are dubbed over establishing shots of Los Angeles. Lily and Sam sort through Mike's effects in Lily's new home. Sam says, "Well, at least he went out in a blaze." Lily gives him a look of disapproval. Sam returns to his New York office, sorts through his mail, and discovers the manuscript that Mike wrote about Room 1408, written after Mike thought he had awakened from a dream. As Sam reads the story, audio from Mike's experiences in the room is heard. In a final scene, Sam's office doors slam shut and Mike's father's voice says, "As I was, you are. As I am, you will be."

Test audience ending #3[edit]
In a third alternate ending, Mike survives and moves to Los Angeles with Lily. When he plays the tape of Katie's voice from 1408, Lily hears it and looks shocked. Mike stares at Lily strangely. This is the ending shown on the Australian streaming service Presto and on Netflix in Japan. Netflix in the Netherlands used to show this ending, however Netflix changed it to the ending used in the theatrical release.