Dope (2015) - Comedy of Young black kids in LA in coming of age story

BlackDiBiase

Superstar
Daps
very very good movie, great cast a lot of beautiful black people great soundtrack and scenery. Stacey from (the woods) showing up was the absolute best :russ:

I hope whoever was behind it makes more and hopefully more people come out and make cool little movies like this. very entertaining i can see myself watching it again.

klutch2381

A Doctor of Love
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
If you think you're lonely now, ohhh girl...
This was a really good movie, and well made film. I'd say 8/10.

It's kind of irritating how people pick and choose what movies they are going to really inspect and what movies they are just going to "enjoy." :jbhmm:

This movie isn't 2001: A Space Odyssey. It also isn't Dude Where's my Car? It isn't trying to be either. It's somewhere in between and that's fine.

A few examples, I don't think Creed is a "great" movie at all. It's predictable. It follows all the basic tropes, and surely it has a great level of unbelievability to it (e.g., self-taught fighter with no amateur experience, one real fight, and a career fighting tomato cans in Mexico -- going 12 rounds with the absolute best fighter in the world, throwing haymakers all fight, getting knocked unconscious and into the nether realm and the ref doesn't stop the fight, etc.) With that being said, people LOVE that movie. They just sit back and enjoy it. I even "like," it despite all the critiques I could muster against it. I've seen it 3 times.

The Force Awakens is a rubbish ass movie if you really start to look at it in depth: mundane and rehashed plot, flimsy characters, characters have huge change of hearts for no real reason other than to advance the plot, pacing is trash, the protagonist is the NEO already, etc. But, people love it. They go into it with the mindset, "Hey, it's Star Wars. I'm just going to enjoy it for what it is."

If a critic went into TFA with mindset that he or she had going into Fantastic Four (a movie the world was prepared to bomb on) TFA wouldn't have received near the critical fanfare it received. Folks were saying it was the 2nd best Star Wars movie when it came out :comeon:. People pick and choose what movies they're really going to get microscopic about by some unknown, seemingly highly variable sensibilities.

But a movie like Dope that is literally saying, "Hey, people's perceptions of you don't define you. The environment you grew up in doesn't define you. The era you grew up in doesn't define you. Hell, even your own ideas of yourself don't define you. You're a complex entity, breh. Remember that," which is something I believe most reasonable people would agree with -- will have people like :dame:.

"Them nikkas ain't sound authentic saying nikka :dame:."

"This that new black shyt:dame:."

"It ain't the Wood:dame:."

"Tyga and his two lines in the movie ruined it or me. :dame:"

"A real dude from the bottoms would have known what to do with that work by sheer intuition. :dame:"

"shyt was confusing :dame:."

It was confusing? :dwillhuh:

The fukk? If this movie was confusing, please for the love of God, never try to watch something like Primer or even the Assassin.

Maybe it's because I've been thinking about getting into film making seriously and I'm just more cognizant of things now, or that I'm pretty critical/cynical and I try to be that way across the board (when most people don't), I don't know.

But, it's weird as hell how the populous can't wait to point out flaws in one movie and then the next movie be like, "Let's enjoy this fukkery." :patrice:

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
just peeped on netflix

first off i was gone when i seen stacey :russ:

second off, more enjoyable then i thought it'd be. the use of the n word from certain characters irked me tho :martin:

and i do agree it kinda fell off in the second half, but i give it a solid 7.5/10, which is especially good since i thought it'd be like dear white people, which i thought was trashhhhhhhhhh

sound track was :ohlawd: cinematography :obama: nice flick

Brofato

Fade Doe
Daps
On netflix just watched it, loved it i need to get in some movies

Have you seen Attack The Block?

Finally watching this shyt now, and no need to bring the debate back, but the N word usage in this movie is out of fukking control.

As far as the movie overall, it's decent. It started slow to me, it was funny in a lot of parts, it's all over the place though. Comparisons to The Wood is why I watched it so some of my disappointment for the movie is probably based off of that.

just peeped on netflix

first off i was gone when i seen stacey :russ:

second off, more enjoyable then i thought it'd be. the use of the n word from certain characters irked me tho :martin:

and i do agree it kinda fell off in the second half, but i give it a solid 7.5/10, which is especially good since i thought it'd be like dear white people, which i thought was trashhhhhhhhhh

sound track was :ohlawd: cinematography :obama: nice flick

The thing that bothered me about it is that half the characters sounded like it was their first time saying it. The person that it bothered me the most with was Zoe Kravitz lol. Second being Jib, the 14% African.

It's one of those things that if you hear it enough in your daily life or you come up around it you can just tell when it sounds inauthentic.

Daps
This was a really good movie, and well made film. I'd say 8/10.

It's kind of irritating how people pick and choose what movies they are going to really inspect and what movies they are just going to "enjoy." :jbhmm:

This movie isn't 2001: A Space Odyssey. It also isn't Dude Where's my Car? It isn't trying to be either. It's somewhere in between and that's fine.

A few examples, I don't think Creed is a "great" movie at all. It's predictable. It follows all the basic tropes, and surely it has a great level of unbelievability to it (e.g., self-taught fighter with no amateur experience, one real fight, and a career fighting tomato cans in Mexico -- going 12 rounds with the absolute best fighter in the world, throwing haymakers all fight, getting knocked unconscious and into the nether realm and the ref doesn't stop the fight, etc.) With that being said, people LOVE that movie. They just sit back and enjoy it. I even "like," it despite all the critiques I could muster against it. I've seen it 3 times.

The Force Awakens is a rubbish ass movie if you really start to look at it in depth: mundane and rehashed plot, flimsy characters, characters have huge change of hearts for no real reason other than to advance the plot, pacing is trash, the protagonist is the NEO already, etc. But, people love it. They go into it with the mindset, "Hey, it's Star Wars. I'm just going to enjoy it for what it is."

If a critic went into TFA with mindset that he or she had going into Fantastic Four (a movie the world was prepared to bomb on) TFA wouldn't have received near the critical fanfare it received. Folks were saying it was the 2nd best Star Wars movie when it came out :comeon:. People pick and choose what movies they're really going to get microscopic about by some unknown, seemingly highly variable sensibilities.

But a movie like Dope that is literally saying, "Hey, people's perceptions of you don't define you. The environment you grew up in doesn't define you. The era you grew up in doesn't define you. Hell, even your own ideas of yourself don't define you. You're a complex entity, breh. Remember that," which is something I believe most reasonable people would agree with -- will have people like :dame:.

"Them nikkas ain't sound authentic saying nikka :dame:."

"This that new black shyt:dame:."

"It ain't the Wood:dame:."

"Tyga and his two lines in the movie ruined it or me. :dame:"

"A real dude from the bottoms would have known what to do with that work by sheer intuition. :dame:"

"shyt was confusing :dame:."

It was confusing? :dwillhuh:

The fukk? If this movie was confusing, please for the love of God, never try to watch something like Primer or even the Assassin.

Maybe it's because I've been thinking about getting into film making seriously and I'm just more cognizant of things now, or that I'm pretty critical/cynical and I try to be that way across the board (when most people don't), I don't know.

But, it's weird as hell how the populous can't wait to point out flaws in one movie and then the next movie be like, "Let's enjoy this fukkery." :patrice:
:dwillhuh: at all of this.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Just saw this movie on Netflix like an hour ago. I put this movie in the same category as 'Dear White People' ("new black" type of films). I can tell where Pharells influence was in the movie.A lot of parts were pretty cringeworthy (the use of the n-word by the sand Cac and the Cac, even the main character). I should have turned the movie off in the beginning when "getting good grades" and "applying to college" was classified as "white people shyt" when that's far from the truth, even in the hood where half or most of the damn black people in college come from, but I continued watching. The movie is supposed to be set in the 2000s I'm assuming but the Gang shyt in it seems outdated. The Rollin 60s coming in the restaurant bussin on some '92 shyt :scust: and the wearing bandanas and shyt :comeon:. And what people are saying about the lightskin/ dark skin casting is very true. It was no darkskinned women in the whole movie :what:. The Harvard graduate being an OG gang member/ drug dealer :mindblown:. Cooking drugs in a school lab on some dumbass New Jack City Carter courtyard shyt :mindblown:. This movie kind of represents a lot that is wrong with our culture/ generation and the integration of it. They sure didn't hesitate to put a BW/ WM sex fantasy type shyt in there either :shaq2:. Overall I give the movie a 4/10 and wouldn't recommend it to anybody. We as black people cant complain how we're getting portrayed in Hollywood if we turn around and make stereotypical bullshyt like this when its time to make a movie. This was nowhere near House Party, ATL, or The Wood or any other black coming of age movie. I hope this movie doesn't open the door for more like it.

That was my problem with it...and the end where he decides to become a hustler. WTF for?

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
:mjlol: This fake sloBK-ass wannabe producer nikka living in a mansion in the 'burbs.

EDIT:
:ohhh: Who is this chick playing his sister? I always assumed that was Zoe Kravtiz whenever I watched the trailers & TV spots.

MikeyC

The Coli Royal Rumble Champion 2019
Daps
Reppin
London
Just seen this. Was aight, definitely not the classic some were making it out to be though.

:mjlol: This fake sloBK-ass wannabe producer nikka living in a mansion in the 'burbs.

EDIT:
:ohhh: Who is this chick playing his sister? I always assumed that was Zoe Kravtiz whenever I watched the trailers & TV spots.

Chanel Iman I think.

lamont614

Superstar
Daps
Finally watched it on Netflix chick I watched it with didn't let me fukk so I give 7 stars instead of 7.5

Didn't know Chanel iman was a freak like that

Didn't know her ass was fat either :shaq: