CW Fall 2014 Schedule (UPDATE: CW 2015 Winter TCA news)

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
If I could :cape: that show for a minute (I know I'm gonna regret this :snoop:)...

First Season of Beauty and the Beast was okay half the time when they tried to develop the main arc with Murfield as the main antagonist on some Heroes shyt. That second half of the first season felt like they finally got their shyt together, only to flush it in the second season in order to create "conflict" with the main 2 characters and reboot because they felt like they were being reactive and rushed things in year 1.

I like some of the episodes since it came back off the hiatus this month but it needs work on the writing STILL. it does have some astonishingly pedestrian ideas and they seem scared of their own ratings. They dont seem to have confidence in its own show and think its only about the main paring cause thats all they see in terms of fan feeback (CW shows really really really need to stop looking at the internet and the fandom for ideas, ironic as that is for me to write). Its frustrating cause I honestly feel like for a half baked idea for a show it has some interesitng parts to develop it like a comic book or sci-fi like show, plus I actually think Krisitn Kreuk for all the hate she got as Lana on Smallville is more likeable on it especially when there's more candid and funny moments on the show every now and then. But they need to do more stuff with the whole team of Vincent, Cat, JT and Tess investigating the other beasts in the city and not just worry that the few fans it has who will only watch for the two main interests. In a way it sums the problem with the CW as a whole even going back to the WB days has had. Most of its programming is so focused on salvaging the niche demographic of younger people they dont realize they actually have concepts that it could expand and create larger audiences with different demographics. When it sucks its the worst show on TV but when its firing on all cylinders, I'll take it even over TVD and HoD (Which says more about TVD now)

This is probaby you'll see anyone ever talk about that show so :whoa: with the judgmental looks and neg reps brehs :why:

:mjlol::scusthov::camby:at you :cape: for "Beauty & The Beast".

:patrice: I never hated Krisitn Kreuk as Lana Lang on "Smallville" like most folks seemed to do. But I also thought she was more likable when she was had that 4-episode recurring role on Season 3 of "Chuck" for the same reasons.

:lupe: Is "Hart of Dixie" any good? The first few episodes were :shaq2: to me.

I'm not so sure how the Originals will do generally. I think for the most part since its on 8pm on a Monday rather than 9, it'll retain its audience from this season and still get just over a million viewers but I'm curious to see if it'll take a hit. The people I know who watch were kind of pissed Rebekah left the show and not everyone is in on Hayley and Klaus as a pairing which is what the main arc appears to be. I expect Rebekah will return (Claire **** didnt really explain or give reason why she just up and left, it seems like it was a plan) otherwise, dont be surprised if this show takes an akward sophmore slump.
:dahell: Hayley and Klaus a pairing? The Parings seem to be Elijah & Hayley and Klaus & Camille.

:ohhh: When you say expect Rebekah to come back do you mean as part of the main cast, recurring character, or guest star?

I also think Reign is a toss up. Like I mentioned before, people liked it for a cheesy show like Gossip Girl but it did go down in viewers near the end. I can see more people hop on it in the second season and admit they like for more than a guilty pleasure show....but this also feels like one of those CW shows will inevitably end up going sideways by Season 3 with some :huhldup::mindblown: storylines

:sadcam: I'm really, really tempted to watch "Reign" during this summer. But I need an active discussion thread on this forum to discuss the fukkery to justify watching it.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
:mjlol::scusthov::camby:at you :cape: for "Beauty & The Beast".

:patrice: I never hated Krisitn Kreuk as Lana Lang on "Smallville" like most folks seemed to do. But I also thought she was more likable when she was had that 4-episode recurring role on Season 3 of "Chuck" for the same reasons.

:lupe: Is "Hart of Dixie" any good? The first few episodes were :shaq2: to me..

:manny::pachaha:

Eh, honestly if you can mess with 90210 and Gossip Girl then Beauty and the Beast with its comical cop procedural storylines aint so bad (Provided we are talking about the same Mystery Science Theatre ironic torture watching prism we talking with those other CW shows :whoa: This aint HBO and AMC'in out this jawn). Plus I kinda gotta give them props for having more people of colour in their cast than any CW show in the last 5 years.:russ:

I wish she had been more on Chuck that season. They need to just let her have more fun on these shows, thats my mediocre acting, low standard project taking Eurasian Vancouver bae... :to:

As for Hart of Dixie, I think the first 2 seasons are okay if you like that Gilmore Girls, OC, Heartland WB vibe type shows. For whatever they decided to take the relationships seriously this year with Zoe and Wade and as expected the show is now a bit :stopitslime:

But I'm all for both shows milking that CW longevity for as long as they can if I get to see more Rachel Bilson and Krisitn Kreuk (Even though they both on shows looking like Dwyane Wade status right now :sadcam:)

:dahell: Hayley and Klaus a pairing? The Parings seem to be Elijah & Hayley and Klaus & Camille.

:ohhh: When you say expect Rebekah to come back do you mean as part of the main cast, recurring character, or guest star?..

Yo thats my fault I meant Elijah and Hayley. Thats the dude that got her pregnant

I think she'll comeback as a recurring guest star midway in Season 2 and probably cast by season 3. But that's just a prediction I dont got nothing to source except knowing how these CW shows pan out and how unusual it is for a popular character to just leave. I think Claire ****'s options are only so much out there that she'll comeback and the producers will beg her to come back.

:sadcam: I'm really, really tempted to watch "Reign" during this summer. But I need an active discussion thread on this forum to discuss the fukkery to justify watching it.

I mean its okay but I just know people who were into Gossip Girl gravitated to that show quickly because of the fukkery and cast. Im still a little on it :ld: but then again look at my viewing list and my choices :deadrose:

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The GOAT Arrow (yeah I said it), still in its Wednesday 8pm timeslot:blessed:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
As for Hart of Dixie, I think the first 2 seasons are okay if you like that Gilmore Girls, OC, Heartland WB vibe type shows. For whatever they decided to take the relationships seriously this year with Zoe and Wade and as expected the show is now a bit :stopitslime:

But I'm all for both shows milking that CW longevity for as long as they can if I get to see more Rachel Bilson and Krisitn Kreuk (Even though they both on shows looking like Dwyane Wade status right now :sadcam:)
:lupe: What's "Heartland"?

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Just in case y'all didn't know, The 2014 Summer TCA (Television Critics Association) Press Tour has been going on last week & this week. Warner Bros. TV is gonna have their press conference tomorrow (July 16th) and The CW will have their Press conference on Thursday and/or Friday (July 17-18). So I'm gonna post news from them conferences for the relevant shows on this forum that I watch ("Arrow", "The Flash", "Supernatural", "The Vampire Diaries", "The Originals", "Veronica Mars" spin-off web series, & etc.) in this thread.

If y'all wanna post news for "The 100", "Reign", or etc. that's fine.

If y'all wanna see the full schedule for the press tour: http://tvcritics.org/press-tour-schedule-overview/

:patrice: Is "Privileged" any good? I've watched a few short-lived CW shows this year ("Hellcats", "The Secret Circle", "Hidden Palms", & "Melrose Place") & I'm wondering if I should watch that 1.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Just in case y'all didn't know, The 2014 Summer TCA (Television Critics Association) Press Tour has been going on last week & this week. Warner Bros. TV is gonna have their press conference tomorrow (July 16th) and The CW will have their Press conference on Thursday and/or Friday (July 17-18). So I'm gonna post news from them conferences for the relevant shows on this forum that I watch ("Arrow", "The Flash", "Supernatural", "The Vampire Diaries", "The Originals", "Veronica Mars" spin-off web series, & etc.) in this thread.

If y'all wanna post news for "The 100", "Reign", or etc. that's fine.

If y'all wanna see the full schedule for the press tour: http://tvcritics.org/press-tour-schedule-overview/

Bump! :snoop:shyt is happening right now, I done missed a bunch of livetweets while I was napping.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
CW Boss Defends Beast Renewal, Offers Supernatural Spin-Off Update, Drops Dixie Pregnancy Bombshell
By Andy Swift / July 18 2014, 10:05 AM PDT

supernatural_spinoff_news.jpg

Crossovers, cancellations and spoilers were on the menu during Friday’s Television Critics Association panel with CW President Mark Pedowitz.

First topic of discussion was Beauty and the Beast — specifically, why the low-rated series was renewed for a third season. Pedowitz attributed that to its “very engaged fan based” and “very international following. In short, “We brought it back because … it’s a very profitible show for everybody.”

He noted that producers weren’t certain of its renewal when writing the Season 2 finale, crediting Brad Kern for crafting “a terrific ending, whether it was a season or series finale ending.”

As for where Season 3 could go from here: “[Vincent and Catherine] are out in the public, they’re a couple and they have to find a life together,” Pedowitz said. “[Vincent] is a medical doctor on the show, and you know what, he will get his license back.” There will also be a bit of a time jump between the finale and the premiere.

Other highlights of the CW executive panel…

* “The Supernatural spin-off that came in, creatively, did not quite get where we wanted it to go,” Pedowitz said when asked why Bloodlines wasn’t picked up. “We have told Jeremy [Carver] and Eric [Kripke] and Bob [Singer] that we’re very open to do another spin-off. We’re waiting for them to come in with whatever the new concept is. I would love to get another Supernatural spin-off [on the network].”

* Pedowitz also discussed the upcoming Supernatural special with TVLine after the panel: “It’s a treat to the fans who’ve supported the show for the prior nine years. It’s taking you back all through the nine years. It’s giving you some commentary from the cast and the creators, Eric Kripke, and the executive producers. It’s fun. It tells you what happened over the past nine years.”

* Pedowitz emphatically denied that Hart of Dixie‘s Friday placement signals its impending end: “We’re doing 10 episodes this year, and we’re looking forward to seeing what happens.” (After the panel, he told TVLine, “[executive producer] Leila Gerstein is planning to have a pregnancy eventually happen to the character of Zoe Hart.”

* When asked whether or not Pedowitz took Star-Crossed fans’ complaints into consideration before canceling the alien drama, he said, “I did receive 90 boxes of pasta this week. We appreciate the fans and everything they do … but there just weren’t enough of them to keep the show going forward. We appreciate their passion for the show.”

* Future Vampire Diaries and Originals crossovers will happen, Pedowitz said, “when it’s organic.”

* New drama Jane the Virgin came to The CW because “it has a title that catches your attention.” Pedowitz previously worked with executive producer Ben Silverman when he did Ugly Betty on ABC and wanted to recreate that on The CW. As for pairing Jane with The Originals on Monday, Pedowitz said that even though the shows aren’t thematically the same, The Originals was a “self-starter” last season.” He hopes its large female audience will also love Jane.

* “We brought [The Carrie Diaries] back for a second season, not necessarily because of its ratings, but because of its digital presence,” Pedowitz said of the now-cancelled Sex and the City prequel. “But you need both aspects, otherwise you can’t sustain a show. … I was proud of the show. Again, an incredibly engaged fan base. But after a while, it just wasn’t economically feasible.”

* As for The Tomorrow People, “the show just did not generate the audience we hoped to generate [on-air or digitally.]“

http://tvline.com/2014/07/18/hart-of-dixie-zoe-pregnant-season-4-rachel-bilson/

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Here's why The CW canceled those 4 shows this year
By Marc Snetikeron Jul 18, 2014 at 12:56PM

Tomorrow-People.jpg

The CW is answering for its crimes cancellations: three fan-favorite shows and one spin-off that are still fueling the voices of sad fans.

Though CW president Mark Pedowitz has previously addressed the scrapping of both The Tomorrow Peopleand the Supernatural spin-off Bloodlines, the network chief fielded cancellation questions aplenty during the CW’s executive panel on the Television Critics Association semi-annual press tour.

Here’s what Pedowitz had to say about four axed shows:

The Carrie Diaries

“We’re very proud of TheCarrie Diaries. Amy Harris and Stephanie Savage did a terrific job. We brought it back to a second season, not necessarily because of ratings but because of what its digital presence was. But after a certain period of time, both aspects have to work. You need both aspects otherwise you cannot sustain the show model. So that was the rationale. I wish it came back. I was proud of the show. Again, incredibly engaged fan base, but after a while it wasn’t economically feasible.”

Supernatural: Bloodlines

“The Supernatural spin-off that came in creatively did not quite get to where we wanted it to go … We are very open to do another spin-off. We are waiting for them to come in with whatever the new idea or concept is. I would love to get a Supernatural spin-off done. I think it’s a great franchise that’s got a lot of legs to it.”

Star-Crossed

“I did receive 90 boxes of pasta this week. We appreciate fans and everything they do, and I gather they were upset. There just weren’t enough of them to keep the show going. So that’s the rationale. But we appreciate their passion for the show and we understand that that’s what makes shows work. In this case there weren’t enough audience members to stay with it.”

The Tomorrow People

Tomorrow People is a more interesting thing. [Producers] Julie [Plec] and Greg [Berlanti] and Phil [Klemmer] do a great job. The show just did not generate the audience we hoped it would generate. It did not generate on air as much as we hoped and it did not generate digitally as much as we hoped.”

[url]http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/07/18/cw-cancel-four-shows/http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/07/18/cw-cancel-four-shows/[/URL]

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Press Tour: July 2014 The CW Executive Session Live-Blog

Mark Pedowitz talks 'Flash,' 'Virgin' and more

markpedowitz_2014upfronts_1200_article_story_large.jpg

By Daniel Fienberg @HitFixDaniel | Friday, Jul 18, 2014 12:00 PM

It's The CW's turn at the Television Critics Association press tour.

And if there's any network executive capable of evading questions with the grace of Paul Lee, it's The CW President Mark Pedowitz.

Usually I can predict a few of the things that will come up at an executive session, but this is a bit of a mystery...

Click through for all of Friday (July 18) morning's excitement...

9:02 a.m. The CW has ordered 24 more episodes of "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" for... the future.

9:03 a.m. Mark Pedowitz takes the stage to Cuban music.

9:03 a.m. The first question is about "Beauty and the Beast." "'Beauty and the Beast' has a very engaged fan base. It has a very big international following," he says. The reality is that because of the international marketplace, it's very profitable for the overall company, Pedowitz says.

9:04 p.m. How did the very solid "Jane the Virgin" come to The CW? Ben Silverman brought a pile of stuff to The CW and "Jane the Virgin" was the title that jumped out. He praises the title, the resonance and whatnot. "We did not want to place the show on a Friday night," Pedowitz says. He felt like "The Originals" was a self-starter. "Originals" is The CW's second largest female-skewing show, so he felt that would boost "Jane," which is the only comedy in its time slot.

9:06 a.m. The CW has set out to broaden its 18-34 audience and to create a perception that the network is no longer just for teenage girls. "Arrow" and "Whose Line" have helped push the age out and helped expand to men. "I'm just happy to have viewers," Pedowitz says. "We sell a certain way. We are very flexible in selling to 18-34 and 18-49, but we knew we had to broaden our audience out somewhat to get to that place," he says.

9:07 a.m. What are the limits for how streaming numbers can boost a show? "We were very proud of 'The Carrie Diaries,'" Pedowitz says of one show renewed for its digital presence. But he says that both digital and on-air have to be there. "I wish it came back," he says, but says that "after a while, it just wasn't economically feasible."

9:08 a.m. A Comic-Con question. How important is that platform for promoting shows? Pedowitz remembers when "Lost" proved TV could get juice. "For us, it's a great first vehicle and a sustaining vehicle," he says. "It acts as the first pushing, in a way, for the fall launch campaign," he says. "That's a huge thing," he says of word-of-mouth from San Diego.

9:10 a.m. Pedowitz repeats that the network is very open to doing another "Supernatural" spinoff. Last season's "Tribes" spinoff just wasn't there creatively, he says.

9:11 a.m. "We are doing 10 episodes this year. We are looking forward to seeing what happens," Pedowitz says of "Hart of Dixie."

9:11 a.m. Regarding why "Beauty and the Beast" was pulled in spring, Pedowitz says that they had to premiere two midseason shows. He says they knew come May that they were picking it up. Did the "Beauty" producers know when they were pulled that they'd be back? "I wish we were that kind to them. They did not at that point," Pedowitz says.

9:12 a.m. Does The CW ever want to develop a new 30-minute comedy? Pedowitz admits that "Backpackers" and "Seed" weren't as successful in their Monday launch as he wanted. They're going to continue to try, though, to use that as a launching pad. And he views "comedic reality" as the network's alternative brand.

9:13 a.m. Pedowitz says he received 90 boxes of pasta this week from angry "Star-Crossed" fans. "We appreciate their passion for a show. We understand that's what makes it work," he says, but adds that there just weren't enough fans. Pedowitz adds that "Tomorrow People" didn't generate as much on-air or on digital as they hoped.

9:14 a.m. "I believe our shows need to reflect what America looks like," Pedowitz says of diversity on both sides of the camera. "It is something I believe in. We're an immigrant nation and without that you have nothing," he says. Nice. Kudos, Mark Pedowitz. He praises "Jane the Virgin" and "The Flash" for their diverse casts. "We can always do better, but we've made great strides," Pedowitz adds. "I no longer work at other networks, so I can no longer speak for other networks and what the do or do not do," he notes.

9:17 a.m. Was the network surprised by the response for "The 100"? "He made a gritty show out of something that was maybe not unique at first, but we made it unique to ourselves," he says. He raves about the digital following, is pleased with the critical reviews and all of that. "The 100" only has a 16-episode order for next season, but they want to let Jason Rothenberg do his work.

9:18 a.m. "I'm thrilled that Captain Kirk tweets," Pedowitz says of William Shatner's tweets about "The 100." He also suspects that the broadened out CW audience knows who William Shatner is.

9:19 a.m. How much faith does The CW put into actual Nielsen ratings? "Well, since it is the currency that we have to use, we have to put a level of faith in that their methodology is correct," he says. "I only with Nielsen had a bigger sample. It would be great if they did," saying that they have to have faith in it, even if it's flawed.

9:20 a.m. Can "Seed" be saved? Starting next week, "Whose Line" will go back to an hours, followed by "Seed" and "Backpackers."

9:21 a.m. What does he think about the place of The CW shows in the DC Universe? He says it's the studio's call and there have been no conversations about whether Arrow or Flash will appear in any of the movies. But in The CW's universe, Arrow and Flash will have characters shifting back and forth. "Flash" and "Arrow" will introduce more and more villains from the DC universe, he teases.

9:23 a.m. What does The CW think about balancing franchises and original programming like "Jane"? He says that with franchises and known properties, there's a built-in audience. "But you have to have faith that you can build new franchises," he says, suggesting that "Jane" could be a new franchise.

9:23 a.m. How much is Pedowitz involved to keep stereotypical roles out of "Jane the Virgin"? They're involved and they believe that the three-generational women on the show have to stay real for the show to work. He compares "Jane" to "Gilmore Girls."

9:25 a.m. One reporter has now asked THREE "Beauty and the Beast" questions. "Brad Kern has a really good place to go," Pedowitz says of the show going forward. He (The Beast?) is a medical doctor and he'll be getting his license back. They're going to pick up a couple months later. And the sister is coming back.

9:27 a.m. Is there a basement for how low "Seed" and other Canadian shows can go before they get pulled? "If Canadian content's working, I'll stick with it for a long time," Pedowitz says. "We have a pretty good patients for all of our shows to give them a run so that the audience doesn't feel cheated by it."

9:28 a.m. Are there any plans to air any shows consecutively without the long midseason break? Pedowitz notes that they've started premiering shows later, which has somewhat reduced repeats. He says that "Carrie Diaries" and "The 100" both ran their first seasons consecutive without repeats. They obviously want to air as much original programming as possible. He also references "The 100" as a show that The CW started late and ran into early summer. The goal is to do more of that to stagger programming throughout the early summer.

9:30 a.m. Pedowitz teases a couple of "organic" crossovers between "The Originals" and "The Vampire Diaries" this season. He's afraid to tell us much more lest he get "pummeled" by Julie Plec.

9:31 a.m. The network doesn't want to "slip completely down the genre hole," lest The CW be viewed only as a genre network. He hopes that "Jane the Virgin" will give the network balance and a family show. "Audiences do not come to us to watch procedurals... But they do come to us to watch interesting characters in a serialized form," he says.

That's all, folks...

http://www.hitfix.com/the-fien-print/press-tour-july-2014-the-cw-executive-session-live-blog

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
The Flash Welcomes Wentworth Miller as (Spoiler) — Plus: More Scoop on Robbie Amell and Firestorm
By Andy Swift / July 18 2014, 11:31 AM PDT

wentworth-miller-the-flash.jpg

Heads up, Flash fans: A cold front is approaching Central City this fall.

Wentworth Miller (Prison Break) has been tapped to play Leonard Snart — aka the villainous Captain Cold — on The CW’s Arrow spin-off, making his first appearance in Episode 4.

The announcement was made Friday during the show’s panel at the Television Critics Association summer press tour, where the stars and executive producers were on hand to preview their “fast-paced” new drama.

Much to the delight of fanboys everywhere, The Flash is “probably he most faithful DC Comics adaptation ever,” said Geoff Johns, Chief Creative Officer of DC Entertainment, who will be breaking stories and working on the show throughout its run.

“We weren’t looking to do the same show twice,” said executive producer Andrew Kreisberg about spinning The Flash off of Arrow. “We weren’t looking for the same kind of hero that Stephen [Amell] portrays. We wanted someone more normal, who had greatness thrust upon them.” He said Grant Gustin was the first person to read for the role of Barry, and the team knew they’d found their star immediately.

Another sure casting was John Wesley Shipp — who starred in CBS’ short-lived ’90sFlash series — as Barry’s father. Executive producer Greg Berlanti had worked with Shipp on Dawson’s Creek and knew he wanted to get him on board in “one of the most important parts of the show.”

As for Robbie Amell coming on board as Ronnie Raymond — one half of DC Comics character Firestorm — reporters were quick to wonder whether Firestorm’s otherhalf, Martin Stein, will also be making an appearance. Berlanti revealed that Stein was initially in the pilot, but was eventually written out. That said, we will meet Stein as Amell’s character evolves.

Barry’s suit was also a point of contention, as it’s not quite as vibrant as in the comics. Berlanti noted that designer Colleen Atwood went through a series of different looks and that the team will be “evolving the suit over time. … It will become more vibrant and red” as the series progresses.

And despite joking about “starting a Kickstarter” to keep The Flash‘s production values consistent with its splashy pilot, Kreisberg said the team is “hoping we’re going to be able to maintain the same level of action and adventure and excitement. So far … we feel like we can.”

http://tvline.com/2014/07/18/the-flash-captain-cold-wentworth-miller-season-1-spoilers/

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Press tour: CW's 'The Flash' hits the ground running

Will it be 'the most faithful DC Comics adaptation ever'?

the-flash-tca_article_story_large.jpg

By Alan Sepinwall @Sepinwall | Friday, Jul 18, 2014 3:02 PM

Where Marvel has been running rings around DC with its cinematic superhero universe, DC in turn is having a bit moment on the small screen. The CW's "Arrow" has had two very strong seasons featuring not only Stephen Amell as Green Arrow, but lots of other major and minor DC characters like Black Canary, Deadshot, Bronze Tiger, and Deathstroke. And this fall, we'll have new DC-inspired shows on NBC (the supernatural saga "Constantine"), FOX (the Batman prequel "Gotham") and again on the CW, with "The Flash," spinning off from "Arrow" and developed by the "Arrow" creative team of Greg Berlanti and Andrew Kreisberg, along with DC executive and longtime "Flash" comic writer Geoff Johns.

At press tour, Johns called "The Flash" "probably the most faithful DC Comics adaptation ever, as deep as we're going to go, and as many characters as we're using."

The pilot episode — featuring Grant Gustin as police scientist-turned-world's fastest man Barry Allen, Jesse L. Martin as his cop mentor Joe West and Tom Cavanagh as STAR Labs scientist Harrison Wells, among others — is one of the most satisfying of any of the new network shows debuting this fall, full of action, special effects and sincere streak of emotion carried by both Gustin and Martin. The super-speed effects are so good, in fact, that some reporters wondered how the show can maintain the production values on a weekly basis.

"We're thinking about starting a Kickstarter," joked Kreisberg. "Obviously, the pilot had a lot of resources at its disposal, but a lot of the pilot was R&D for the series, and the pilot was a steep learning curve. With 'Arrow,' I remember we ourselves watched the pilot and wondered, 'How are we going to do this every week?' And 'Arrow' has only gotten bigger and better. Whereas that's about stunts and this is about visual effects, we're hoping we'll be able to maintain the same level of action, adventure and excitement. So far, with what we've been doing, we feel like we can."

Though DC is trying to rapidly expand its movie presence with "Superman v. Batman" and the Justice League movie that will follow it, Johns explained that the plan is to keep the movie and TV universes separate, so if there's a Flash in "Justice League," it won't be Gustin.

"One of the joys of doing these shows," said Berlanti (who has also worked on the DC movie end, as one of the screenwriters of "Green Lantern"), "we don't really see a difference between film and TV... Between these two shows this year, we'll have half the Justice League on our shows. It's not a second prize. It is the prize for us, to have the opportunity to tell these stories with these characters."

"The Flash" pilot features many familiar names from the comics, and Easter eggs hinting at even more. There's a brief reference to Gorilla Grodd, for instance, which the producers fought to keep in the final cut, even though they're not quite sure yet how to depict an intelligent super-ape on television.

"That Easter egg means the world to us," said Kreisberg. "As we were working on the pilot and trying to get it down to time, someone would suggest, 'We can save 10 seconds if you cut that,' and we were like, 'You can cut everything else.' 'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes' is out right now, and we're hoping they're doing the R&D for us."

"Sometimes we know exactly how we're going to pull these things off," added Berlanti. "Sometimes we don't, but know we really want to, and it inspires us to try harder. "

(Other Flash/DC characters due to appear early on: Wentworth Miller will play Captain Cold in episode 4, and the series will introduce Robbie Amell as Ronnie Raymond — one half of the secret identity of Firestorm — in the third episode.)

There's also a major tribute to the TV history of the character, as John Wesley Shipp — who played Barry in a short-lived CBS series in the 1989-90 TV season — has a recurring role as this Barry's father. Berlanti worked with Shipp on "Dawson's Creek" and was able to convince him to be part of this new take on the franchise.

"Having grown up huge Flash fans, that show meant the world to us," said Kreisberg. "We thought, Whatever we do, we gotta get John Wesley Shipp.' He was just so thrilled, so sweet, so generous and so kind. I think he was surprised that the show had meant so much to us and a lot of people, because it ended far too soon for him as well. To get that link to the past and have him be part of the show — and it's not just a gimmick or a cameo, but one of the most important parts of the show."

The tone of both Barry Allen as a character and "The Flash" as a series is significantly lighter and more optimistic than "Arrow." Barry gets to enjoy having his powers, even as there is tragedy in his past and that of the other characters.

"It was a very conscious decision on our parts that we weren't looking to do the same show twice and we weren't looking for the same kind of hero that Steven is playing," said Kreisberg.

The two series exist in the same universe and will interact with each other, but they're each their own thing. And the pilot episode is a very promising test run.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/press-tour-cws-the-flash-hits-the-ground-running

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Yeah one thing people need to understand about the CW is that its simply not gonna operate on the basis of Nielsen Ratings and advertisers. That might be by default since it was never a major player or thats its really collapsed in the ratings since the Dawn Ostroff/Gossip Girl era. But there is some truth in what Pedowitz says about how the money for it is in digital downloads, DVRs and most importantly internaitonal views. Beauty and the Beast performs worst than cable shows and regional programming but inexplicably it draws a million plus viewers in places like Italy and Spain, does respectably in Canada and France cable channels.. and CBS as CW's producing partner was able to sell it to loads of international marketplaces for 3 years. As long as they get a million in revenue per ep, there gonna put it out ther. Same deal with Hart of Dixie. Basically the shyt got proftiablty in the same way 90s and 2000s NY artists still cake overseas or why an expiring contract is valuable to an NBA team. Its still scraping as I dont know if the DVDs sell.
I do think he overstates how big both shows fandoms are. They are presistent in terms of voting but not big in terms trending and what not
Conversley, Carrie Diaries, Tomorrow People, Ringer and Secret Circle did bad but so so in the ratings ,but couldnt hack it in terms of downloads and internaitonal sales for Warners and CBS so thats what hapepned
Suffice to say TVD/Originals and Arrow/Flash are genuinely strong internationally and on social media so thats why they feel like shows that should pulling in 8-10 million domestically but only pull 2 million viewers.

I think its a lot to do with focusing on niche younger programming as oppose to CBS/NBC going for 30-40 to 50 plus and also Nielsen viewers wont sit around and watch niche programming. Plus CW affilates are not available everywhere for everyone (I think Comcast subscribers lost them 2 years ago cause of a contract dispute) and their shows are pre-empt constantly by local sports programming.

It begs the question why the hell didnt the CW just be a cable show that shopped its shows overseas and on demand like HBO/Showtime/FX but still be allowed to pull in smaller niche numbers with niceh programming so that its competitors were actually ABC Family and MTV.