Black Panther is not a symbol of pro-blackness

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
they collaborated with a black man to create black panther

Source. I don’t see this mysterious black man as having credit in the creation of the mythos.

if you and everybody else is going to talk about a subject and you didn't even know that piece of info what does that tell us?

Quote the source or stfu

@jackson35 Black Panther was created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, two white Jewish guys. No shame in that. :yeshrug:

No black people were involved in Black Panther's creation, but some of the biggest contributors to the Black Panther mythos were black (artists Billy Graham:blackpblessed:, Ken Lashley:bpbanderas:, Brian Stelfreeze :noah: and writers Christopher Priest :bpbanderas: Reginald Hudlin :ehh: and Te-Nehisi Coates :ehh:)

jackson35

Banned
Daps
@jackson35 Black Panther was created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, two white Jewish guys. No shame in that. :yeshrug:

No black people were involved in Black Panther's creation, but some of the biggest contributors to the Black Panther mythos were black (artists Billy Graham:blackpblessed:, Ken Lashley:bpbanderas:, Brian Stelfreeze :noah: and writers Christopher Priest :bpbanderas: Reginald Hudlin :ehh: and Te-Nehisi Coates :ehh:)
there is shame in that= 1 you actuality buy the idea of two jewish dude coming up with a african warrior king hero in the 60's.all jack kirby did was steal what he heard while station in africia during the war and stamp his name on the book. all the other ideas came from billy grahman. they both said in print with billy grahman they would no black panther. now that black power for your ass

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
all jack kirby did was steal what he heard while station in africia during the war and stamp his name on the book.

Jack Kirby was never stationed in Africa during World War II. :gucci:

He was in Normandy, France. He caught frostbite in the winter of 1944, and was sent back to the US to recover where he was honorably discharged. Facts matter :bpufedup:

all the other ideas came from billy grahman.

False. Black Panther debuted in 1964 (four months before the Black Panther Party was formed, ironically :ohhh:) Billy Graham didn't start working for Marvel until 1972, and even then he was the artist, not the writer. He helped plot the scenes, but he didn't write the story arcs. That was Don McGregor, who happens to be white. :francis:

you actuality buy the idea of two jewish dude coming up with a african warrior king hero in the 60's.

Yes. :mjstare:

If you understand Lee and Kirby's history, it's not much of a surprise. Stan Lee has said multiple times that he and Kirby created Black Panther because there were literally no Black superheroes created before him.
You really think I'd use the alias "The Black Panther" and not be knowledgeable about the character? :martinbp:

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
OP, what's the reasoning of splitting hairs about what is and is not a "symbol of pro-blackness"? :bpthink:

Black people consider "The Color Purple" to be one of the GOAT films about black culture, but it was directed and partially written by Steven Spielberg.Should we discard that film as a symbol of black triumph over adversity simply because it was directed by a Jewish guy? :stephena1:

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Black Panther will be an important film (especially if it does well). To complain about it by saying "well, black people don't own it, therefore it's not pro-black" is to not only disparage the film, but add arbitrary criteria of what is and is not "pro-black".

Black Panther will be a watershed moment in movie history. Why try to spin that into an L? :martinbp:
What black people consider "The Color Purple" to be about black culture?
at the time of its release as a book and a movie, it has been rightfully criticized as an anti-black man movie.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
I don’t know why I see tons of Facebook profile pictures of the cinanamatic black panther helmet with the red green and black filter like it’s some black owned and black controlled property. I mean damn nikka y’all rocking that as a testament to black excellence but not a black hand was involved in its creation nor the movie is made by black executive producers (Fiege).

Yeah I get he’s a strong, respectful, and intelligent black comic book character but that’s where it should end. He should not be looked at as a symbol of pro-blackness since we don’t own or control the property.
But most Black folks don't think in real life about real shyt that isn't personal. So this isn't unusual at all

Benjamin Sisko

Still that resident truth-bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
OP, what's the reasoning of splitting hairs about what is and is not a "symbol of pro-blackness"? :bpthink:

Black people consider "The Color Purple" to be one of the GOAT films about black culture, but it was directed and partially written by Steven Spielberg.Should we discard that film as a symbol of black triumph over adversity simply because it was directed by a Jewish guy? :stephena1:

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Black Panther will be an important film (especially if it does well). To complain about it by saying "well, black people don't own it, therefore it's not pro-black" is to not only disparage the film, but add arbitrary criteria of what is and is not "pro-black".

Black Panther will be a watershed moment in movie history. Why try to spin that into an L? :martinbp:
The Color Purple was vehemately anti-black man and was never considered a symbol of pro-blackness...you are grasping for straws young man.

And i am not talking about just the film, I’m talking about the conception and the ownership of the franchise as whole. None of it is involving black money. Fiege, Avi Arad, and Pearlmutter aren’t blsck men. Neither is Stan Lee and Kirby. McDuffie wrote some of the Justice League cartoons and pushed John Stewart from obscurity to the forefront but that doesn’t mean that either are pro-black properties.

Yeah I get the type of precedence this movie will have but you cannot put it in the same category as our black icons like I’ve seen people do on here and on Facebook. It’s assassine and an insult to our real icons.

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
So, this thread is 300 post of;

giphy.webp

because the OP dare suggest this movie isn't progress because it'll be a bunch of white kids wanting to dress like T'Challa

Meanwhile Richard Spencer is spreading his message to college white men who will be all of our managers, not because they are more qualified, but, because of their skin tone

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati
Okay, I get it.

But is it really something worth splitting hairs about? I mean, really?

Is it harmful? The movie is a big moment. It's a rare moment, too. People are excited and they should be to see representation they never do. People may say it's pro black because of the characters, the location and the overall theme in a comic book movie in America in 2017. It's showing a city in Africa being the most technologically advanced in the world when Western media still acts like Africa is centuries behind and portrays it as so.

Use this to show people the black created superheroes. A lot of people have no idea about them and they might not be into comics because of it being full of nothing but white characters. Use this as a stepping stone instead of tryna talk down on nikkas for being heavily behind this character and movie, it's counter productive.

And who cares if black people want to see a black spider man or james bond? they're established characters and it would be dope to see those, and the push for one did at least lead to Spider-Man being black. It lets young black kids resonate more with these characters. they don't have to be excluded from shyt. a young black kid can dress up as Spider-Man for Halloween and know that there is actually a black Spider-Man. what's wrong with that?

Last edited: