Black neighborhoods in "Non-Black" Cities

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
I lived in the Quad Cities for a brief second. There's a decent amount of black people in the area, and a few semi-famous athletes from there (Ricky Davis, Michael Nunn, Acie Earl).

Davenport got hoods like any other spot. I lived there shortly after the movie Belly came out and it had some similarities to how Omaha was portrayed in the movie. There weren't any major black clubs but everybody just used to go to the whole in the wall hood spots or downtown Rock Island to party with the whites. I smashed a gang of brauds when I was there.
Imma have to research the Quad Cities and the state of Iowa in general...

Sounds interesting. I didn't know Ricky Davis was from Davenport.....

As far as Omaha Nebraska goes, I know Gabrielle Union is from Omaha....:noah:

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Potrero Hill Housing projects in San Francisco

920x920.jpg

1024x1024.jpg

Hunters Point/ Bayview in San Francisco

wpid-13268421678561.jpg

DSC03836.jpg

sanfranciscohousingprojectreceives30mncw-suwm85l.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

West Point/ middle point

San+Francisco+Housing+Project+Receives+30+BATcZLNsYdol.jpg

Harbor Road

main-qimg-50cb54e9e7b5ffd4f704ce064001cf6f-c

huntersview2300x179.jpg

Sunnyvale/ Towerside San Francisco

main-qimg-f0030a42cd892222248f1f5264b97a60-c

hqdefault.jpg

images

Fillmoe/ Fillmore San Francisco

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

@Fillmoe15 @BayArea @Keyser Soze @The_Hillsta @MrFettuccinePockets

TRUST me, I've done HELLA research on the Black history of SF. They're working on gentrifying Hunters-Point Bayview, especially because those projects are located in those high hills. Those projects have some scenic views. White folks can't wait to get Black people up outta there so they can build some luxury apartments on those hills. And plus you got Portero Hill and Dog Patch nearby. It's like Hunters-Point is like an Island of Black people in the middle of an Asian-White city....

:jbhmm:

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Kansas City has a part of town called North Pole that is Black af.

Xenia, Ohio has a Black (lots of mixed folks tho) that surprised me.

Pine Bluff, Arkansas is allll Black. I know we know its Black but when I tell you in 4 yrs of living there I could count how many whites I came across... Never seen a place that Black.
KCMO has alot of Black folks. Eddie Griffith is from KCMO. And he had that show with Malcolm Jamal Warner called Malcolm&Eddie that took place in KCMO. Then there's Janelle Monae and Tech N9ne who are both KCMO natives.

I've heard of Pine Bluff. I had no idea it was that Black. You being from The Chi, do you have family down in Arkansas and the Mississippi Delta area? Like Memphis, Mississippi, Louisiana, etc.

Verbal Kint

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
TC, Ap
:ohhh::ohhh::ohhh:

Damn!!! So you and your family is CONNECTED big time with many of the major players within the Minneapolis Sound. The FlytTyme Recording studio is LEGENDARY. I was watching an old news documentary from 1988 about the Minneapolis sound and about the Black music scene in Minneapolis.

^^In that docu they also feature some White bands also(like Husker Du)

:mjpls:

But love Alexnder O'Neals music. I didn't know Jay-Z sampled the chorus of Sunshine from one of Alexanders songs until I saw the documentary I posted above. That 1985 O'Neal album seemed dope. Did you ever attend the salon/barbershop from the Documentary above? It doubled as a recording studio. It starts around the 26:55 mark.

I'm also enjoy Mint Conditions music. I wonder what Stokley is up to nowadays...

:jbhmm:

Yea it makes for some cool stories to tell sometimes but it ain't like I came up from any of it or anything. Ma Dukes does have a few plat and gold albums in the crib and some pictures with a grammy but nothing major. But I was a youngn when she was really active and I only went to the studio when she ain't have nobody to watch me so I'd just post up in the lil game room which is where I met most of those folks. Didnt really get to go wherever. I do know Mint is still performing cuz a cat I went to HS with started drumming for them a few years back and stay on FB posting from all over the country.

• Dap
Reactions: Meh

GoldCoastSaint

Yall nikkas hate everything but Tariq Nasheed
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
KCMO has alot of Black folks. Eddie Griffith is from KCMO. And he had that show with Malcolm Jamal Warner called Malcolm&Eddie that took place in KCMO. Then there's Janelle Monae and Tech N9ne who are both KCMO natives.

I've heard of Pine Bluff. I had no idea it was that Black. You being from The Chi, do you have family down in Arkansas and the Mississippi Delta area? Like Memphis, Mississippi, Louisiana, etc.

Im from NO. And yeah PB is all Black. You don't ever have to see a white person there if you dont want to. They have surrounding towns that are all white so I guess its on purpose. Kc is 13% Black and it feels like it but Black people make themselves visible there, problem is a lot if them like to get along too much. Still sone if the realest Black people I've ever met are from there- no faking or trying too hard.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Im from NO. And yeah PB is all Black. You don't ever have to see a white person there if you dont want to. They have surrounding towns that are all white so I guess its on purpose. Kc is 13% Black and it feels like it but Black people make themselves visible there, problem is a lot if them like to get along too much. Still sone if the realest Black people I've ever met are from there- no faking or trying too hard.
Oh, I had no idea you from NO. And I had no idea KCMO's Black population was that small....

Goes to show you that influence and culture can go FAR in how a city is portrayed....

1/2 Man 1/2 Hennessy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Daps
Reppin
Seattle
Can a Seattle cat explain to me why so many hoopers come out of there? Supposedly not a ton of brothers up there but every year you got another Seattle cat coming into the league. Isaiah Thomas, Jamal Crawford, Zach Lavine, etc etc. Its gotta have the highest number of ballers per capita in the country but its not even really considered a great basketball city
Our AAU programs are hella good. nikkas that got dope money from the 80's and 90's be giving back to the community via basketball programs and rec centers in the hood. besides that idk I just know growing up every nikka including me was so dedicated to basketball lol. There's a basketball court in literally every park. The Holly's got 2 legendary street ball courts: Othello and Holly Park. Real shyt there were some nikkas that would run the fade on you if you embarrassed them in any fashion:wow:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Potrero Hill Housing projects in San Francisco

920x920.jpg

1024x1024.jpg

Hunters Point/ Bayview in San Francisco

wpid-13268421678561.jpg

DSC03836.jpg

sanfranciscohousingprojectreceives30mncw-suwm85l.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

West Point/ middle point

San+Francisco+Housing+Project+Receives+30+BATcZLNsYdol.jpg

Harbor Road

main-qimg-50cb54e9e7b5ffd4f704ce064001cf6f-c

huntersview2300x179.jpg

Sunnyvale/ Towerside San Francisco

main-qimg-f0030a42cd892222248f1f5264b97a60-c

hqdefault.jpg

images

Fillmoe/ Fillmore San Francisco

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

@Fillmoe15 @BayArea @Keyser Soze @The_Hillsta @MrFettuccinePockets

My old hood Lakeview, SF:

OCEAN VIEW / Neighborhood reclaims its mean streets

San Francisco used to be ~ 13% black in the 70's. SF has experienced the most acute case of black flight of any big city in America. But SF has been pushing black people out of the city since the 70's with the razing of the Fillmore. Fillmoe was known as the "Harlem of the West" during the Jazz era. Black neighborhoods in SF are Fillmoe, Hunter's Point, Lakeview, Sunnydale, Potrero Hill etc. Today, after decades of gentrification, the only predominantly black areas of SF are the projects scattered throughout the city in Fillmoe, Hunter's Point, Potrero Hill etc. Projects in SF have been rated as some of the worst in America in terms of livability indexes:

Hunters View - not Sunnydale - ranks as S.F.'s worst complex

Lakeview was majority black all the way up in until about the mid 90's. The area around Randolph street is still mostly black in some blocks, mostly around the projects on 200 block. Hunter's Point used to have the largest concentration of black owned real estate and black owned businesses in the entire state of California in the 80's:

Black flight

San Francisco, along with every other major city in the Bay, is one of the only cities in California that doesn't have a real presence of Bloods or Crips in the black population. Crips tried to set up shop in Hunter's Point in the early 80's, but eventually got ran out of town. The murder rate in San Francisco over the decades was fueled by neighborhood funk between rival turfs (i.e. Sunnydale vs. Lakeview) and killings over the dope game.

Crip-less: S.F.'s Dislike of Franchises Extends to Street Gangs

Even though SF's black population was relatively small, a lot of game comes from the city. SF created too much slang that you haters use. If you from outside of Northern Cali and have ever used the word "hella" and talk shyt about Frisco, please proceed to washing your mouth out with piss :pacspit::

Urban Dictionary: hella

Too $hort basically created the independent hustle in Rap in the early 80's. This set the precedent for Bay Area rap from the early 80's to the present. The independent hustle in the Rap game was crazy in SF in the 90's. Every hood in SF in the 90's had local rappers dropping classics back then. Fillmoe produced West Coast legends like Rappin 4 Tay, San Quinn, JT the Bigga Figga, Andre Nickatina and Messy Marv, Hunter's Point had RBL Posse and others, Lakeview produced Cougnut and Cellski. Many of these rappers were featured on early No Limit compilations before Master P relocated back to the NO. These rappers were like griots telling the stories of these turfs. Not every city and hood in America had rappers to articulate their struggles without big record labels trying to water down their sound and message. As a result, SF rap was too hard for the motherfukking radio:

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps
My old hood Lakeview, SF:

OCEAN VIEW / Neighborhood reclaims its mean streets

San Francisco used to be ~ 13% black in the 70's. SF has experienced the most acute case of black flight of any big city in America. But SF has been pushing black people out of the city since the 70's with the razing of the Fillmore. Fillmoe was known as the "Harlem of the West" during the Jazz era. Black neighborhoods in SF are Fillmoe, Hunter's Point, Lakeview, Sunnydale, Potrero Hill etc. Today, after decades of gentrification, the only predominantly black areas of SF are the projects scattered throughout the city in Fillmoe, Hunter's Point, Potrero Hill etc. Projects in SF have been rated as some of the worst in America in terms of livability indexes:

Hunters View - not Sunnydale - ranks as S.F.'s worst complex

Lakeview was majority black all the way up in until about the mid 90's. The area around Randolph street is still mostly black in some blocks, mostly around the projects on 200 block. Hunter's Point used to have the largest concentration of black owned real estate and black owned businesses in the entire state of California in the 80's:

Black flight

San Francisco, along with every other major city in the Bay, is one of the only cities in California that doesn't have a real presence of Bloods or Crips in the black population. Crips tried to set up shop in Hunter's Point in the early 80's, but eventually got ran out of town. The murder rate in San Francisco over the decades was fueled by neighborhood funk between rival turfs (i.e. Sunnydale vs. Lakeview) and killings over the dope game.

Crip-less: S.F.'s Dislike of Franchises Extends to Street Gangs

Even though SF's black population was relatively small, a lot of game comes from the city. SF created too much slang that you haters use. If you from outside of Northern Cali and have ever used the word "hella" and talk shyt about Frisco, please proceed to washing your mouth out with piss :pacspit::

Urban Dictionary: hella

Too $hort basically created the independent hustle in Rap in the early 80's. This set the precedent for Bay Area rap from the early 80's to the present. The independent hustle in the Rap game was crazy in SF in the 90's. Every hood in SF in the 90's had local rappers dropping classics back then. Fillmoe produced West Coast legends like Rappin 4 Tay, San Quinn, JT the Bigga Figga, Andre Nickatina and Messy Marv, Hunter's Point had RBL Posse and others, Lakeview produced Cougnut and Cellski. Many of these rappers were featured on early No Limit compilations before Master P relocated back to the NO. These rappers were like griots telling the stories of these turfs. Not every city and hood in America had rappers to articulate their struggles without big record labels trying to water down their sound and message. As a result, SF rap was too hard for the motherfukking radio:

That Mr Predicter album was classic :wow:

Cougnut/ IMP :wow:

I remember when OV used to be lit :wow:

Sideshows on the Dolph, Plymouth and Broad was lit :wow: