After not watching TV for almost 6 years, I've never felt so out of the loop. (fukk this thread))

King Poetic

The D.O.G.(Disciple of God)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
Outside of Sports i can say i watch around 4 shows

1. Boardwalk Empire -- Best Show Hands Down

2. Sons Of Anarchy - Second Best Show on TV

3. Burn Notice - even tho it ended i catch re-runs of it

4. Walking dead

Daps
Reppin
VOID
This dumb b*stard is disregarding an art form because he thinks it makes him look cultured. Are you going to stop looking at oil paintings, too?

Where did I say this? Why do you think I'm some sort of elitist my sharing my opinions? You really think I'm trying to talk down on people on this boardwhen I've been supporting y'all? Dapping y'all comments cause I agree with you? And now you're calling me a "dumb b*stard" for attempting to share my opinion on a message boar where it's discussion driven?

I'm done...I don't feel like explaining myself anymore. I'm not even making anymore comments in this thread, cause I'm just going to get a headache and want to punch a wall from reading replies from people when I'm trying to make myself understood.

It's not even worth it at this point. Anything I say to try to explain myself is gonna be met with a TL;DR anyways. So fukk it. Thread closed. One star it all you want.

I'm done here.

HoloGraphic

Trillionaire
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I found out about archetypes, stereotypes, media engineering that eventually plays into social engineering and the social hierarchy in America. How certain characters are placed above others, subtexts, all of that stuff. It really turned me off to television.

Learned a lot in regards to race and the media too and that was it for me. I didn't want to waste my time with the shytz anymore.

I remember all of those years watching these shows, having my favorite characters and heroes and having to perform all of these mental gymnastics to relate to the roles. I remember for a little bit thinking to myself when I was young how much I wanted to be white just to be like Spider-Man, just to be like those super heroes. I just really got sick and tired of the criminal lack of representation when it came to black people on Television to the point I don't care about it anymore.

I was that black kid that wore glasses in my school...so eventually (especially growing up in the early 90s when Family Matters was popular) I was just called Urkle mercilessly. Then Jacquese from the Real World...then whatever black guy had glasses that was on a popular TV show. Not even like Basketball players (I got ridiculed mercilessly as well for not being some uber athletic basketball player, got called "white boy" by other black kids for doing good in school, and was shunned by everyone else).

Bottom line, TV feeds into America's love for convience and ignorance. Rather than draw their own conclusions about people and things, they'd rather let a magazine, TV show, or article written by someone else decide how they should feel about something without putting any thought into it.

A lot of people are programmed by what they see on tv. Hell, me too, but I choose and am aware of my influences.

But the social atmosphere created by the media is huge. Art imitates life, and life imitates art in return. When you realize how much of what *isn't* on tv, you realize how biased it all is. And how it is actually leaning in certain directions, promoting one thing, while typecasting and malnourishing another.

Someone told me Young Justice was pulled off the air because too many girls were watching a show with positive minority images.

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Where did I say this? Why do you think I'm some sort of elitist my sharing my opinions? You really think I'm trying to talk down on people on this boardwhen I've been supporting y'all? Dapping y'all comments cause I agree with you? And now you're calling me a "dumb b*stard" for attempting to share my opinion on a message boar where it's discussion driven?

I'm done...I don't feel like explaining myself anymore. I'm not even making anymore comments in this thread, cause I'm just going to get a headache and want to punch a wall from reading replies from people when I'm trying to make myself understood.

It's not even worth it at this point. Anything I say to try to explain myself is gonna be met with a TL;DR anyways. So fukk it. Thread closed. One star it all you want.

I'm done here.

Your position is stupid. That's why I called you a dumb b*stard. You are free to share it all you like and I'm free to call you a retard all I like. That's what a discussion is dummy.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
A lot of people are programmed by what they see on tv. Hell, me too, but I choose and am aware of my influences.

But the social atmosphere created by the media is huge. Art imitates life, and life imitates art in return. When you realize how much of what *isn't* on tv, you realize how biased it all is. And how it is actually leaning in certain directions, promoting one thing, while typecasting and malnourishing another.

Someone told me Young Justice was pulled off the air because too many girls were watching a show with positive minority images.

YJ being cancelled is the result of politics and the dumbing down of kids. Basically, it came out in the wrong era.

Daps
Reppin
VOID
Your position is stupid. That's why I called you a dumb b*stard. You are free to share it all you like and I'm free to call you a retard all I like. That's what a discussion is dummy.

Don't reply to me. You don't get where I'm coming from and never will. I don't feel like continuing this discussion with you based off that principle.

Daps
Reppin
VOID

Thank you! I appreciate someone who understands where Im coming from...

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Don't reply to me. You don't get where I'm coming from and never will. I don't feel like continuing this discussion with you based off that principle.

:umad: I know exactly where you are coming from. You think American television perpetuates American culture, a culture you find lacking. And you are right about that. Where you start fukking up is rejecting it based on that. All art perpetuates/reflects/changes/sustains the culture that created it, so if you want to reject American tv you may as well reject American sculpture. They are the same thing. Basically, rejecting an entire form is pretty stupid.

Daps
Reppin
VOID
:umad: I know exactly where you are coming from. You think American television perpetuates American culture, a culture you find lacking. And you are right about that. Where you start fukking up is rejecting it based on that. All art perpetuates/reflects/changes/sustains the culture that created it, so if you want to reject American tv you may as well reject American sculpture. They are the same thing. Basically, rejecting an entire form is pretty stupid.

meh. I just don't care for it. I guess I don't care for it cause...I can't relate to it anymore.

Art imitates life. Life precipitates art. American television would be nothing without American culture (something which I admittedly find myself out of the loop on the older I get).

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
Thank you! I appreciate someone who understands where Im coming from...
Bro, everyone understands where you're coming, but there is nothing novel about it and it's repetitive and you're over-explaining something people already know. We all know that TV programs people, nothing about that is deep. But you're just entirely dramatic with your second point that you "just can't find anything that I relate to." None of us relate to everything or even most things on TV or in any form of media. It's just entertainment. If you feel that you need to remove yourself from all forms of popular entertainment to find yourself and that something must be relatable to be enjoyable, that is your personal preference. This not a complaint about media. Thematically, it is nearly an extension of your previous posts about looking for somewhere to fit in while in college.

You're coming across as a debbie downer who doesn't know how to just enjoy things for what they are and are in search for deeper meaning and fulfillment in everything--of course according to very specific standards. My friends are I are on different career paths and have different interests and are far from followers--but we can enjoy many popular shows because we enjoy great writing. You're rejecting shows not because of the quality of the production but because you find them unrelatable and noncomforming to what you think art should be. That's it. You have a preference, nothing more. It's not deeper than that.

*Awaits his free daps* :ehh:

Daps
Reppin
VOID
Bro, everyone understands where you're coming, but there is nothing novel about it and it's repetitive and you're over-explaining something people already know. We all know that TV programs people, nothing about that is deep. But you're just entirely dramatic with your second point that you "just can't find anything that I relate to." None of us relate to everything or even most things on TV or in any form of media. It's just entertainment. If you feel that you need to remove yourself from all forms of popular entertainment to find yourself and that something must be relatable to be enjoyable, that is your personal preference. This not a complaint about media. Thematically, it is nearly an extension of your previous posts about looking for somewhere to fit in while in college.

You're coming across as a debbie downer who doesn't know how to just enjoy things for what they are and are in search for deeper meaning and fulfillment in everything--of course according to very specific standards. My friends are I are on different career paths and have different interests and are far from followers--but we can enjoy many popular shows because we enjoy great writing. You're rejecting shows not because of the quality of the production but because you find them unrelatable and noncomforming to what you think art should be. That's it. You have a preference, nothing more. It's not deeper than that.

*Awaits his free daps* :ehh:

Dapped.

Let this thread die though.

I have no one to really talk about these things IRL with so...I'm unleashing this on the coli. No one cares...I felt like it would just make me explode and shyt if I kept this in for too much longer.

Oroko Saki

The Shredder
Daps
I was just funkin around with you earlier today man but If i was u i would just forget about all that shyt from past

In my opinion TV isnt necessarily a bad thing. Nothing wrong with being a sports fan as long as u realize what your teams do is out of your control. If it adds stress to your life then its a bad thing. No matter how you cut it your gonna be exposed to shyt in real life and theres only so much of it you can avoid. What differs with some people is how they perceive things.

At the end of the day I accept that theres alotta different cultures and beliefs out there. Im done with looking down on others. So what if someones easily impressionable? We're all flawed human beings. That person could come back and point out a weakness of mine or a weakness of yours. Instead of going tit for tat, I just try to see the good in people and I try to have an open mind. Worry bout yourself and be the best you you can be homie

Rich Spirit

#LeveledUp
Daps
Reppin
houston.
Outside of Sports i can say i watch around 4 shows

1. Boardwalk Empire -- Best Show Hands Down

2. Sons Of Anarchy - Second Best Show on TV

3. Burn Notice - even tho it ended i catch re-runs of it

4. Walking dead
Better find something new to watch when these shows go off air after this year