ABC's upcoming sitcom: "Black-ish"

King Jove

King Of †he Gawds
Daps
Reppin
[redacted]
i like it :ehh:

it's basically the life of your typical coli poster :troll:. grew up in the hood, then goes to college, then gets a high paying job with his light-skinned natural haired big booty wife and raises a family in an affluent white neighborhood yet wants his family to maintain their pride and identity as black people and not have them turn into cacs. loved all the jabs at white people :ahh:. when he talked about white people stealing black culture :ohlawd:. not sure how this got green-lit. some of the jokes seem a little too anti-white friendly :heh: . but i like it :youngsabo:

sadly, i don't know how this can last more than 2 seasons. you already have :mad: white folks complaining about the show being "racist" (:mjlol:) and even some black people getting offended or not trying to give the show a chance or not understanding the social commentary about it..

i'm interested how they expand on the overall essence of the show. :obama:

Last edited:

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You just want to be arguable now. You didn't watch the show and now trying to make-up counter arguments just to cover the fact you did not watch the show. Second of all, how YOU view blackness is not the same as how OTHERS black view blackness or what it define to be black. And truthfully, if how you define blackness is through the LACK of value, then you have a SHALLOW esteem of being black. Has your esteem been high, you wouldn't care about how OTHERS view you as a black man because you have pride of how you view yourself and the proud feeling of being black. If ANYTHING you are indeed the main lead CHARACTER, Andre, who's suffering from a racial identity crisis.

You making excuses like racism is too serious to tackle in a 30 minute sitcom only points to your insecurity. OF COURSE, no sitcom would resolve problems in 30 minutes, but at LEAST this show has the balls to address them head on in all of its complexity. Also, at least it wasn't all resolved just in 30 minutes and going to be an on-going thing which is the basic premise of the show to begin with. For ONCE we have a black sitcom that actually TALK about black issues and how we are mocked by white people and someone wants to be a CRAB-ASS-IN-THE-BUCKET muthafuccka that want to complain about something they ain't EVEN take time to watch. And, I am not going to waste anymore of my time to respond to you about this.

You sound like a "new black" c00n..
I dont need a sitcom to address or resolve racism. Lol. but your first mistake is thinking this show is for blacks to talk about black issues. this show is for cacs to laugh at and trivialize black issues.

Dave chapelle realized this and quit his show cause of it. Any attempt at black social commentary was lost when trying to cater to a majority white audience.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You pretty much stated we shouldn't have Black shows with social commentary.... :snoop:

Take your DEFEATIST azz out this thread then, if you truly feel that way. :camby:

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You obviously cant read.

I read what you posted perfectly. You believe it's not a show about a black family addressing black racial issues, but a show where black racial issues were trivialized and made fun of for white people's enjoyment.

BUT... YOU DID NOT WATCH THE SHOW... so you opinion is null and void.

Not to mention the main people that were being made fun of were white people. And the main people being attacked were white people for stealing our culture, which was PROFOUNDLY addressed on the show.

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I read what you posted perfectly. You believe it's not a show about a black family addressing black racial issues, but a show where black racial issues were trivialized and made fun of for white people's enjoyment.

BUT... YOU DID NOT WATCH THE SHOW... so you opinion is null and void.

Not to mention the main people that were being made fun of were white people. And the main people being attacked were white people for stealing our culture, which was PROFOUNDLY addressed on the show.

Im not going to keep going back and forth since your trolling at this point. The show IS catering to white viewers and in doing so waters down the seriousness of the "black" issues they choose to address. That is a fact and reality of being on network tv.

I watched the same show you did otherwise i wouldnt waste time commenting on it. I dont care what you think. You can have your opinion of the show. I have mine.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I like the actors in this even the kids which is a miracle of casting because usually the kids on shows like this are awful.

The "black" stuff was a bit too much though but I will chalk that up to it being the pilot and the writers trying to make it as clear as possible to the network just what the pitch of the show is. They are going to have to reel it in a bit though because there is being socially conscious/relevant and then there is being heavy-handed and forced. There is a balance somewhere that the writers of the show need to find ASAP.

Also the stuff with the wife would work better with a Lisa Bonet looking mixed actress. Calling Tracee Ross "pigment challenged" and stuff like that is crazy when she looks almost the same complexion as Laurence Fishburne.

There were some funny lines sprinkled throughout and Laurene Fishburne was probably the standout character but overall it wasn't nearly as funny as it should have been.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I like the actors in this even the kids which is a miracle of casting because usually the kids on shows like this are awful.

The "black" stuff was a bit too much though but I will chalk that up to it being the pilot and the writers trying to make it as clear as possible to the network just what the pitch of the show is. They are going to have to reel it in a bit though because there is being socially conscious/relevant and then there is being heavy-handed and forced. There is a balance somewhere that the writers of the show need to find ASAP.

Also the stuff with the wife would work better with a Lisa Bonet looking mixed actress. Calling Tracee Ross "pigment challenged" and stuff like that is crazy when she looks almost the same complexion as Laurence Fishburne.

There were some funny lines sprinkled throughout and Laurene Fishburne was probably the standout character but overall it wasn't nearly as funny as it should have been.

Isn't Tracee Ellis Ross biracial in reality?

EDIT: She's half-Jewish

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps

Tracee Ellis Ross clearly looks biracial.

King Jove

King Of †he Gawds
Daps
Reppin
[redacted]
the show touched on so many things in just 30 minutes

the black father who grew in the hood and made it to "affluent white society" but still understand the subtle realities of a "post racial society"

the militant black grandfather

the bi-racial wife who understands where the father is coming from but wants to suppress that and live under the false realities of a "post racial society"

the #newblack son who grew up around white people and tries to fit into their society by adapting to their culture

the young black kids who don't understand the concept of racism or white supremacy at all, to the point where obama being the first black president isn't even a big deal to them.

the black father (and family) that really have no sense of african culture at all.

the dynamic of non-white vs. white co-workers in the workplace (the part about saying hi to all the black people in the predominantly white workplace and it being like a little club was dead on :mjlol:)

the interactions with white people who try too hard to be "down"

i get how some (particularly black) people will feel that the show is TOO focus on race but for me it's refreshing to see a show like this in modern times.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
the show touched on so many things in just 30 minutes

the black father who grew in the hood and made it to "affluent white society" but still understand the subtle realities of a "post racial society"

the militant black grandfather

the bi-racial wife who understands where the father is coming from but wants to suppress that and live under the false realities of a "post racial society"

the #newblack son who grew up around white people and tries to fit into their society by adapting to their culture

the young black kids who don't understand the concept of racism or white supremacy at all, to the point where obama being the first black president isn't even a big deal to them.

the black father (and family) that really have no sense of african culture at all.

the dynamic of non-white vs. white co-workers in the workplace (the part about saying hi to all the black people in the predominantly white workplace and it being like a little club was dead on :mjlol:)

the interactions with white people who try too hard to be "down"

i get how some (particularly black) people will feel that the show is TOO focus on race but for me it's refreshing to see a show like this in modern times.

Word... dead on.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There's some subtle trues and ironies on that show too. Like how he refused to join a black firm because the white firm pays more, yet get insulted when he realizes he's being played as that "token blackie".

LezJepzin

We Wavy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
50East/Sacramento, CA
Anthony Anderson is on Highly Questionable today and he said that the hip hop Bar Mitzvah scene really happened . His son in real life wanted to have a Bar Mitzvah for his 13th birthday party and he switched it up into a hip hop theme :ohhh: