"A Wrinkle in TIme" directed by Ava DuVernay

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
No thats the excuse shes going with now that it failed

Movie was specifically marketed on the Disney channel and to kids.

And honestly, looking at the trailer, I didn't get what the hype was about. I think people thought this movie was one thing and because It didn't meat their expectations, they wanna kill it.

People acting like she's the female M. Night Shamalan.

Starboy52

Superstar
Daps
Not gonna bash and all cause the movie was obviously not made for me, but they did a horrible job of marketing it and making it look appealing in the trailer. It felt like one of those bloated Special Effect blockbusters that was tryna get everybody with the Diverse Casting, but ended up with nobody in the long run

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
Movie was specifically marketed on the Disney channel and to kids.

And honestly, looking at the trailer, I didn't get what the hype was about. I think people thought this movie was one thing and because It didn't meat their expectations, they wanna kill it.

People acting like she's the female M. Night Shamalan.
Better believe there's some :mjpls:involved

doublex

Pro
Daps
When asked about breaking records during the opening weekend DuVernay bluntly said, “I’ll tell you right now. We are not going to be number one this weekend because there is a cultural movement that is so important to me and so many people called Black Panther and it is still moving and breathing in the world.”

“I am not crying over spilt milk, I’m texting Ryan [Coogler] and saying, ‘Yo, you made $99 million this weekend,” DuVernay said. “As an artist, I can’t be concerned with the first three days at the box office.”

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I have a new found respect for Ava after watching this interview. And I'm willing to admit it put my foot in my mouth in this thread.

If you don't want to watch.

1. She says the movie was marketed towards kids and families with kids. Nothing more, nothing less.

2. She said she turned down black panther because she felt it should be directed by a black man. She wanted to do a movie about a black woman. Which is true.

3. She made the father white because she didn't want to have another movie portrayal of an absentee black father. So she made him white.

I will never see this movie because it wasn't made for me.

I would also date her as well :manny:

Ava is a real one. I hope the movie at least breaks even...

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Naw pretty sure its always been a children's book. Ya'll chose to get invested in it....for some reason

yup

Pretty much, but you can't expect these dudes to have any type of nuance or read details.

No disrespect intended. I respect yall brehs, but..

Eh...twitter was marketing it like a black movie tho..and even Ava was. A black girl that saves the world. That's a great concept.

It seemed like a movement to support this and Black Panther. Getting the opportunity to have two sci fi/fantasy adventures just 3 weeks apart. Stuff we never really got growing up (with black people)

I mean I didn't mind. I'm all for supporting Ava. However, I'm not buying the perception of absentee father. She had a chance to make the father (who is lost) an incredible scientist. Why shouldn't black boys see that image? Why the adopted brother? What is wrong with an entire black family that deals with science and fantasy. The father is just lost....why not build up the bond between a black father and a black daughter? Turn the perception on its head.

It's one thing if her version was realized and apparently turned out to be a great movie. However, some of the reviews are pointing out it seems like a heavy handed movie that's poorly executed.

I think Ava's heart was in the right place, but ..

Last edited:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Why shouldn't black boys see that image? Why the adopted brother? What is wrong with an entire black family that deals with science and fantasy.
The movie was originally all white breh. I mean I don’t know what to tell you except that. They wanted a white director too.

This isn’t a black movie but it has black artists playing significant characters.

Also the composition of the production crew. There are a lot black people worked on this project.

The stuff some of you are complaining about is just small.

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
I have a new found respect for Ava after watching this interview. And I'm willing to admit it put my foot in my mouth in this thread.

1. She says the movie was marketed towards kids and families with kids. Nothing more, nothing less.

2. She said she turned down black panther because she felt it should be directed by a black man. She wanted to do a movie about a black woman. Which is true.

3. She made the father white because she didn't want to have another movie portrayal of an absentee black father. So she made him white.

I would also date her as well :manny:

Sound like bullshyt.

MarcP

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Sounds like the "We made it for the fans" excuse execs and directors like to throw out when their comic book movie gets panned.
Pixar movies are for kids too Ava:sas1:

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
See, the copping pleas and bad excuses are what can make people turn on her even more than a bad movie will.

The "I made it for kids" excuse is bullshyt because there are so many "kids" movies that are great. A Monster Calls released a little more than a year ago, for instance, and then there are the long list of Disney/Pixar films that struck the balance between being well made and made for kids.

If you swung and missed, then you just swung and missed. It happens to even great directors, especially with difficult to adapt material. Don't start making excuses or crying about how people don't get it or are out to get you. Take the L graciously and don't give anyone an excuse to Josh Trank you.

The shyt about the absentee black father forcing her to make the dad white also rings false to me, but I'll judge it more once I actually see the movie.

Last edited: