84 pictures of Dead Malls: A testament to a dying part of American culture.

Heretic

GOLDGANG...
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
We had 2 in Birmingham. Century Plaza and Eastwood Mall. They was right across the street from each other. Here are some pictures......
Century Plaza
large_century.jpg.jpg

birmingham44av0.jpg

tumblr_miydtyo2TF1s78eu4o2_400.jpg

Eastwood Mall
169083497_427ae542e9_o.jpg

eastwoodmallbirminghamal04A.jpg

food_court.jpg

They tore Eastwood Mall down and turned it into a Super Walmart with a shopping center around it. There was a bowling alley there, a Service Merchandise, and some other stuff. The only thing about Eastwood was it was only one floor if I can remember correctly. Maybe a couple of the department stores had extra floors but the rest of the mall was one story. I remember Century Plaza and I knew it was 2 stories. I had a bunch of memories out of there because with me being from the westside of town, my cousins and I would go to these 2 malls since they was on the eastside of town to get at the eastside girls. But just looking at these pictures makes me feel the nostalgia of being there. I remember my father bringing me to Eastwood Mall and they had a race track for radio controlled cars to race. The halls was just that wide or going to Century Plaza to see Santa Claus. My Birmingham bruhs can feel me on this one.

Man I loved century plaza I was either on high school or a year or so into college when it closed. Eastwood was pretty much dead for as long as I could remember. I only remember parisians and the arcade being open before it completely closed. Brookwood is on it's way out too I'm afraid. Nice restaurants around it but the inside is dying fast.

Momentum

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The last time I went to a really big two/three story mall it felt like a funeral :sadcam:

This was in Maryland.
shyt, my pops after the age of 12 never bought me shyt. Only if I got good grades he might buy me something for my B-Day or Christmas. Now, I see parents giving their teenage kids $70 per week and buying them I pads, Jordans, and the like :wtf:

That is why they so entitled and have no damn work ethic. Parents spoil the shyt outta them, thanks to lack of jobs and the malls closing down due to the internet age.

Around that same age my Pops introduced me to something called Layaway :dead:

I had to earn my allowance and hustle the kids at school for extra dollars to put on my held games at Kaybee's

Man those were the days :wow:

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Was at South Coast Plaza, for first time on Monday, easily the most upscale, impressive, mall I've ever been in, every designer boutique you can think of, Loboutin, Hermes, YSL, Valentino, Versace, Dior, Miu Miu, Cavalli, along with enormous Nordstrom's and Bloomingdales, and like 100 other stores….I agree the low rent, strip malls are all going to fold and die, the end places will remain for the foreseeable future.

Pics are reminder of Recessions effect, and look like still from 'Dawn of The Dead' in the 21st century...

LezJepzin

We Wavy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
50East/Sacramento, CA
Its a lot of mixed results where I'm at in Sac. Most of the malls in my area are still around , for now. I'm an 80s baby and I remember how dope Sunrise Mall used to be in the 80s with the Birdcage Walk (an outdoor mall) across the street . Even in the 90s with Birdcage having the $1 movie theater :ohlawd: Birdcage is long gone, with a condensed shopping center in its place. I still don't know how Sunrise Mall is still making it now. The newer and better, Roseville Galleria is killing it. I haven't seen Sunrise crowded in ten years .

:rip: Florin Mall . I know theres some cats on here that remember that hood ass mall. The Sears is still there but that's it. A new Wal-Mart took much of the other half where its at. If you were born after 1996 you wouldn't believe a mall used to be in that area. They were planning to build an open air mall in Elk Grove (south of Sac) in the mid 2000s but the recession halted things. The foundation of what it was going to be that mall is still there years later but I hear they're going to build an high-end outlet mall in that spot now.

Arden Fair used to be my shyt in the 90s . The atmosphere used to be so dope . The females, seeing your homies or just chillin. Its still crowded now but its ratchet as hell if you compare it to the Galleria in Roseville. Go to both in the same day, they're like total opposites to each other. Both have a large turnout , but the traffic is so much easier to deal with from the one in Roseville.

Country Club was the one I thought was going to close but they actually remodeled it a few years ago and its thriving... somewhat. Its still one story (excluding the Macy's and the Gottchalks on the other end that's been closed for a decade now) The Wal-Mart across the street averages TWICE the traffic C.C. does on any day :wow:

Downtown Plaza Mall has been :flabbynsick: on the east end of it for nearly a decade now. Had a spark when they turned it into an openair mall in the mid-ninties. Old Sacramento, being in the center of Downtown and the Macy's on the West-End has kept it alive all these years. Even with most vendors closing shop and going to the Roseville Galleria . Westfield used to own both Downtown Plaza and the Galleria but bailed on DTP years ago. The new Arena for the Kings being built on the east end is going to be crazy because K street is going to turn into a long entertainment district :whoo:

So the mall scene hasn't really died around here. I keep hearing it might die off but with the exception of Florin Mall, they just stay creative in making it last. Whether its remodeling a section that's been :flabbynsick: for a while or just making that bytch bigger (Galleria)

Even if the whole mall is :flabbynsick: like Sunrise or Country Club, they just make things look better across the street. The people still wander I guess.

The Bilingual Gringo

Tucked in to the socks
Supporter
Daps
Kind of surprised at all of the hate for malls :dwillhuh:

Maybe I'm just spoiled with what we have here in DMV, but malls are just convenient like that, but I guess it may be a generational thing. I just don't like going there around Black Friday. And :pacspit: at outdoor malls. Why would I want to walk around in the dead middle of the winter or summer when I'm trying to shop?

Related to the article, that's a dope read. I've always found old, empty parking lots in day time creepy.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Outside of Hilltop in Richmond all the malls/shopping centers seem to be doing good in the bay :yeshrug:

They keep adding walmarts all over and new stores in malls or shopping centers/outlets.

They even rebuilt JC Pennys in the fairfield mall.

Only Mervyns folded in the bay(i think country wide too)

They keep saying California broke but they keep adding billion dollar bridges, stores, stadiums, etc.. shyt aint adding up :usure:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
The last time I went to a really big two/three story mall it felt like a funeral :sadcam:

This was in Maryland.

Around that same age my Pops introduced me to something called Layaway :dead:

I had to earn my allowance and hustle the kids at school for extra dollars to put on my held games at Kaybee's

Man those were the days :wow:

Crazy how back in the days, kids can work hard and actually get some money to buy games and clothes for themselves. Now, teenagers want their parents to give them i-Pads, i-Phones, PS4s and shyt that cost hundreds and thousands of dollars.

But :wow: @ you remembering Kay Bees. I miss there and Caldoors because I bullshytted there all the time as a kid.

MustafaSTL

Achievement In Every Field of Human Endeavor
Daps
jamestown,crestwood and soon to be the mills. only ones that will be left are west count galleria and south county
I think the Mills might last for a bit. But yeah Jamestown is a wrap. The Macys is closing right now, went up there a few weeks ago for going out of business sales.

I'm dating myself too when I bring up River Roads Mall. :wow:

So-Chi

Colfax to the burbs'
Daps
Reppin
goons in the cut tryna talk you out yo necklace
Chicago people, y'all know River Oaks gone join the list soon too right? Watch in 5-10 years its gone be gone. But it wont matter cause they're bringing an outlet mall out here anyway.

The one that trips me out is the one that used to stand in Harvey where the police station is now... i used to go past there everyday when i was a kid and wonder why it was there.
The crazy part is River Oaks keeps hanging by a string. I remember when it used to be a outside malling and was dying, and they converted it and miraculously saved it. Nah Lincoln Mall is definitely next...I went in there one day with one of my friends to drop his daughter off at karate and the struggle stench in the air...you could taste it.

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
Luxury malls will be around for a little while.
of they will...I will never buy an expensive cloth or shoe over the internet.

But regular clothing and basic stuff means most malls will be dead since that be bought over the internet