greenvale

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Delaware
Next week is my last week of work at my job. I plan to be unemployed through at least September.

I've got a few projects scoped out for my lil sabbatical, but I'm also mulling a strong pivot into whatever lane is carved out thanks to ChatGPT/large language models. IMO the writing's on the wall that it might be the biggest disruptor this side of touchscreen phones & personal computers, so I want to get in on the ground floor for some job security. The problem is, I don’t know where/how to get in where I fit in. @Secure Da Bag you seem like the person most in-tuned w/ the space so interested in what you have to say, but anyone with any opinion can weigh in.

My current working theory is based on Power BI... Microsoft made a bet on Business Intelligence going mainstream so they put a quarter billion into Power BI in 2020 and bundled it with their O365 product. Fast forward to 2022 and Power BI is a sought-after skill set in the job market... Now, with OpenAI, Microsoft are making a $10 billion bet, so I think that they are suggesting that the technology will permeate much of the needs of future employers. I like the scenario this reddit comment spun up as an example

My question is what are the skills required to meet employer needs when chatbots/AI become more mainstream in 1-2 years?

For example, let's say companies are all training chatbots using pre-existing customer-interaction data via messages/emails/phone calls. What skills would I likely need to assist in that process? Azure OpenAI seems like the tool that will be pushed to companies, so should I jump into Azure in general, should I get some ML Certs from Microsoft, should I take some ML courses on Udemy, should I do all of the above, or am I barking up the wrong tree completely?

Open to any advice!
Definitely data engineering as mentioned above. All of this works on data, there will always be a need for new and updated pipelines and at a bare minimum data standardization to feed it shyt in a format it can understand. Read up on reinforcement learning / machine learning in general.

Not exactly answering your question but man pivoting into law (without lawschool :pachaha:) as a consultant or something would be excellent. Laws lag behind technology but there is going to be A LOT of liability with AI. I don't expect lawyers to learn about the nuances either. :jbhmm:

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Appreciate the feedback fellas. Didn't even think about how the ETL will always be there regardless of the data. I played around w/ the idea years ago but really like analyzing data. I'm learning the basics of pure ML now and will keep Data Engineering in my back pocket for sure.

Babymama Magnet

All Star
Daps
Need some advice if possible.

I'm looking to transition my career to become a Business Analyst. At the moment i've been presented with an opportunity to join a programme where they teach and mentor you on the skills and requirements needed to do the Business Analyst Role.

I've spoken with the main person and was invited to one of their weekly meetings.. I've checked the persons linkedin and he definitely is legit as well as the person working with him.

My question is, would you pay for a BA course when you most likely can get all the information online?

I feel i need a mentor more then i need this course but in paying for the course i would have a mentor on tap.

What would you do?

(He hasn't sent the payment link yet so i don't know how much the price is but i suspect it would be over 2k

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
@Babymama Magnet

Make sure you get a clear definition of Business Analyst. Some places a BA is the person who collects information about a project so they can write specs. At other places, a BA does actual data analytics about the business or department.

If it's the latter, make sure you're good with Excel, SQL, and Tableau/Power BI.

In terms of paying, I do better with a class structure so I'll pay for an online class. Others do better with self-learning and just google their way through it.

TheAnalyst504

Rookie
Daps
Need some advice if possible.

I'm looking to transition my career to become a Business Analyst. At the moment i've been presented with an opportunity to join a programme where they teach and mentor you on the skills and requirements needed to do the Business Analyst Role.

I've spoken with the main person and was invited to one of their weekly meetings.. I've checked the persons linkedin and he definitely is legit as well as the person working with him.

My question is, would you pay for a BA course when you most likely can get all the information online?

I feel i need a mentor more then i need this course but in paying for the course i would have a mentor on tap.

What would you do?

(He hasn't sent the payment link yet so i don't know how much the price is but i suspect it would be over 2k
I'm 50/50 on paying for a course. It's hard to determine what's worth it with so much online content.

To that point, get a public library card ASAP. Public libraries typically link their accounts to linked to LinkedIn Learning, formerly Lynda.com. You can view good online content and build up a good knowledge repository.

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
I need some advice. I've been studying sql and I feel like im getting the hang of it. But for me, with this tech stuff I'm better learning on the job. I want to apply for some data analyst and business analyst jobs. But I want to do it for a biotech company or hospital. In college Ive taken courses like Healthcare informatics and healthcare database systems. But for me, I need actual work experience. I have my degree and a certification in Health IT. I need a job like asap. And it takes time for me to learn sql, python, tableau, all that stuff. At my current job, we don't use any of that. Nothing even close. Can i parlay my education into a DAta analyst/business analyst job? What jobs can I apply to? Preferably ones where I can learn on the job? I know how to google, ask questions and chat gpt so I can learn on my fly.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
I have no idea what Health IT is or what it consists of. In fact, if you have access to Chat-GPT4, then this would be the perfect question for it.

At my current job, we don't use any of that.

This is nigh impossible. Not using SQL. But if that's the case, then you have an excellent opportunity to show the higher-ups why you/they should use it. And get paid for it.

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
I have no idea what Health IT is or what it consists of. In fact, if you have access to Chat-GPT4, then this would be the perfect question for it.

This is nigh impossible. Not using SQL. But if that's the case, then you have an excellent opportunity to show the higher-ups why you/they should use it. And get paid for it.
No people at my job use it. Just not me. I'm more of a software support person with some BA responsibilities. Now I had a data analyst at my job show me how they use SQL. I felt like I understood what she was doing but again it's one thing watching someone it's another actually doing the work and again I'm applying to jobs in a total different industry you know science Healthcare Public Health all that stuff is the industry I'm trying to work in. I work for a computerized testing company and it's more of a proprietary software

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota

I wish the cutoff date got gpt was later than sept 2021

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
If you're looking for involved SQL projects, ie full on project. Here are some ideas:

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Late AF but finally learning Statistics 101 thanks to this course:

It's going surprisingly well given how much I struggled learning statistics in the past.

Udemy is hit or miss if you throw a dart at a random course, but I think that what separates it from other online courses is that there's no 'free' option here, so people are voting w/ their wallets and the best teachers rise to the top of the pile. As I get older, I realize that learning really is about finding the right medium and the right teacher to keep things engaging.

Speaking of teachers, I have also been using Claude.ai as a supplemental tutor for any concepts that are still shaky after my initial exposure. WATTBA