YouTube Creators: 2 Quick Questions

InterestedNow

Rookie
Daps
1.) What is a program that is as easy to use as iMovie, but for a Windows PC? I've been editing my YouTube videos on my MAC w/ iMovie and they are very basic edits, but my MAC is on its last legs and I gotta just use something else.

2.) When I'm recording a video in my room with my WebCam I notice that the amount of light shining on my face changes every so often. Some videos are recorded at night, so I know that it's not an "amount of sunlight getting in through the window"-related issue. I even touch my trackpad every so often to make sure that it's not the screen becoming dimmer since my hands haven't touched the keyboard for a while. All of the lightbulbs in the surrounding lamps seem to be tightly screwed in. What could possibly be the reason for this? My Acer computer is less than 1 month old. Any ideas?

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
you don't have a smart phone
I would record videos with that.

also when you're starting out you can use imovie

InterestedNow

Rookie
Daps
Much respect to y'all. Even my sister commented after I had made this thread that it seemed like my image quality had gone down a bit. I forgot that the first 2-3 videos I did with my cell phone, and the more recent ones I did with my computer's built-in webcam because it was so easy to do.

As far as the lights, I did put some lights to use but I'm not a professional so I would need further guidance on this. Any specific light you recommend?

I am comfortable using iMovie right now, and it seems alot easier to get into than Final Cut Pro and stuff like that. I will look into these programs you recommended @bnew and see which one is most similar to iMovie. Thanks

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
I'm a fan of Filmora 9 for editing.

As far as lights go, it depends on the size of your space. A portrait light setup that you can find on amazon would give you the best results, but you could also make do with a couple desk lamps, bounce cards, and the highest watt bulbs you can get. You'll want at least two light sources in order to achieve even lighting. Offset them if possible to make it look more dynamic. Add a third above and behind your head to highlight your crown to add depth.

A bounce card is just a white piece of cardboard to reflect the light on to you, avoid direct lighting from a lamp since it will create hotspots in your scene and cause it to be flatly lit.

standalone%20bounce%20card%20for%20product%20photography.jpg

Or you can get some of these
(search amazon for webcast lighting)
100fd2214beaf3634803ac7957fe34c3.jpg

Here's a couple pics of my wife's studio that i recently set up

Nh5Pxo3l.jpg

Fy1teQLl.jpg

Last edited:

The Message

Lex with tv sets the minimum
Daps
yeah you can use top notch equipment but if you're not using light or your lighting is weak your image quality will be piss poor.

if money is an issue, natural light can be amazing if studio lights arent available.

but you definitely need quality light setup. two white boxes preferably.

and ring lights are great too. that's why those beauty content creators have pristine lighting. study their setup heavily.

almost all of them use a ring light. when i started using one, it took my the quality of my channel to the next level.

and all you need it twenty bucks to make it yourself

InterestedNow

Rookie
Daps
almost all of them use a ring light. when i started using one, it took my the quality of my channel to the next level.

and all you need it twenty bucks to make it yourself

Hardware store is probably closed, but maybe I can get myself over to Target or Home Depot to figure this out.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
Look into getting a good mic too. Unless you're recording with a potato, a quality audio setup can actually take your videos to a higher level than visual equipment in some cases.