You’re Not Imagining It—Job Hunting Is Getting Worse

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
Whenever I look at a job application on LinkedIn it's got 85+ applications and it's only be up for a few hours :wow:

Part of the difficulty stems from a tightening labor market especially in fields like tech that have had hundreds of thousands of layoffs in the last nine months. There is now, on average, one job opening for every two applicants on LinkedIn, a big change from early 2022, when there was one job opening per applicant on average.

Read More: Empathetic Employers Were a Pandemic Blip

But it’s not just the economy causing companies to change their hiring processes in ways that make them take longer, says Peter Cappelli, a management professor at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. The pandemic increased the use of one-way video interviews, in which applicants are asked to record a video of themselves answering a list of pre-set questions, because interviews couldn’t be done in person. But the proliferation of these interviews just gives companies a lot more content to sort through.

Meanwhile, as companies prioritize equity, they’re getting more people involved in the hiring process, inviting upper-level managers and the peers of a would-be colleague to weigh in, which adds time. Companies who laid off human resources staff are now delegating interviewing and hiring to line managers who aren’t familiar with the process. None of this, Cappelli says, means employers are getting better candidates, but it has lengthened the time it takes to hire. The amount of time it takes to hire a new employee reached an all-time high of 44 days in early 2023, according to a report released this month by the Josh Bersin Company and AMS, a workforce solutions firm. “Make no mistake, the hiring market is not going to get easier any time soon,” said Jim Sykes, global managing director of client operations at AMS, in a statement.

Many job seekers told me that they’d been targeted by scams in which supposed hirers offered them an appealing-sounding job, and even set up Zoom calls and interviews—but turned out to be people posing as recruiters looking for candidates’ personal information and job accounts. Even legitimate companies are posting “ghost jobs” that they don’t actually ever fill, according to a survey by Clarify Capital. Employers post ghost jobs to get a pool of candidates that they may use someday, to give the impression that their company is growing, and to keep current employees motivated, according to the survey of 1,045 managers involved in the hiring process.

The miserable job market appears to be worse for people with a college degree, according to a Harris Poll conducted on behalf of TIME.

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
6 cert gang doesn’t have these problems.. linkedin is basically reverse tinder for us :blessed:

Applying to a job like a peasant :hhh:

Here are my skills, this is my compensation range. Reach out to me when you can fulfill these requirements.

But all jokes aside… yeah, this job market really sucks for the average person just trying to keep the lights on especially with the price of the brick going up everywhere… stay up brehs.

Windows 91

Unreleased Operating System
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
C:\
took me about a year to find a job in my field after graduation at the end of 2021. I hope things change for the better in a year or two so I can move on to something that pays better.
That first one out of college can be tough depending on how the economy is when you graduate. But it'll be a lot easier for you now that you have experience.

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
:ufdup:
I agree somewhat with the list, but some of them will still require a little bit of facetime between people.
If the AI fukks up the numbers, Managers want someone to yell at. Yelling at the AI isn't the same :mjlol:

DAT NICCA KELSO

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Foreman's Basement
I'll say, our Accounting department paid a malicious actor $700k and nobody been fired :dahell:
When I was in Non Profit. Someone emailed the finance department using a free email account pretending to be the CEO and asking to change the direct deposit to a different bank. No one questioned it and did it. No one was fired :pachaha:

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Yeah it’s getting really bad. Just got laid off about a week ago and the options are slim pickings. If I don’t get another high paying job, or atleast decent it was nice knowing y’all
Godspeed.

I think low-end tech and anything entering redundant numbers onto a screen is screwed.

While I think AI is coming for everything eventually, we still have a decade+ before we see a noticeable decline elsewhere. Hope by then we have some decent regulation and new industries pop up in the wake.

Dave24

Superstar
Daps
When I was in Non Profit. Someone emailed the finance department using a free email account pretending to be the CEO and asking to change the direct deposit to a different bank. No one questioned it and did it. No one was fired :pachaha:

:whoo:
:whoo: :whoo: :whoo: