'You're Next', this weekend?

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
When I first saw the trailer a month or so back, in the theater, I was pretty unimpressed, yet another late summer horror rollout, along with the current trend of brutal home invasions/invaders with creepy masks, and the 'twist', of the victims turning on their assailants in an increasingly cruel showdown, cue no name cast, unsettling costumes, and I, despite being a devout horror fan, was almost ready to pass. But, good word of mouth, and some buzz regarding twists, along with a 85% on RT, and very positive reviews...changed my mind.

Now, I'm not going to expect a horror classic, but this looks like it could be a fun end of August night at the movies, scary, entertaining, impressive directing....I'm looking forward to it. After the unforgivably terrible 'Evil Dead', and the mostly mundane 'Conjuring', I hope this will at least be a above passable horror movie.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I liked this, it's passable summer horror fare, maybe slightly above...it's not anywhere near the level of 'Cabin In the Woods', meta/satire/send up/deconstruction, but it's a clever, gruesome little movie, that hardly brings anything new to the table, but acknowledges that, and has some fun with the genre, while leaving the audience with a moderately scary thriller, taunt, tense, an appropriately modern score, sparse/electronic/industrial, and some pretty funny moments, black, bloody humor. Also, a few overt nods to 'Night Of The Living Dead' and 'Rear Window', which I caught, and probably a few more, I didn't. The twists add very little, and are pretty easy to figure out, and theres some kills that were overboard, and none of it holds up to much scrutiny, I felt they could have ratcheted the tension from the domestic unrest between the family a few more turns, before going into the hunt/kill part...and maybe offered a more compelling twist or motivation, better acting too...whatever, I liked the Australian women, and the dude with the arrow in his back was hilarious....worth seeing if a fan of the genre, if not, I'd pass. I think overall, I enjoyed this better then 'The Conjuring', which was pretty tame and had some of the same flaws, without the humor and the in jokes.

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
Saw it tonight. I liked it. It wasn't what the previews suggested. It was like the new version of Scream. Gory with an absurd but entertaining plot and full of black humor. It was also satire about wealth and prestige.