You don’t even need exercise to lose weight, diet is way more important

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
just eat less and you’ll lose no matter how long you workout or run imo

This is true, but exercise usually helps with aesthetics and also gives some people wiggle room in their diet.

Case and point:

In college I walked around 2 miles everyday in between classes and such. Let's say that was 500 calories burned every day from walking. Now, at a corporate job, I dont walk as much.

Now say to lose 1 lb a week I need to eat 2000 calories (500 below my maintenance).

In college, I could eat 2500 calories worth of food and still be in a deficit of 500 calories a day whereas at work, I have to be at 2000 flat.

Of course it doesn't mean you should be eating back calories you burn off, but it does help mitigate against days where your diet isn't 100%.

My $0.02

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
This is true, but exercise usually helps with aesthetics and also gives some people wiggle room in their diet.

Case and point:

In college I walked around 2 miles everyday in between classes and such. Let's say that was 500 calories burned every day from walking. Now, at a corporate job, I dont walk as much.

Now say to lose 1 lb a week I need to eat 2000 calories (500 below my maintenance).

In college, I could eat 2500 calories worth of food and still be in a deficit of 500 calories a day whereas at work, I have to be at 2000 flat.

Of course it doesn't mean you should be eating back calories you burn off, but it does help mitigate against days where your diet isn't 100%.

My $0.02
What about weight lifting

For 30-40 m

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
What about weight lifting

For 30-40 m

Lifting weights also burns calories as well. It just isn't at the same rate as cardio (soccer, running, swimming, etc).

When people say a lifestyle change they usually mean cleaning up your diet and getting more active.

I was surprised as to how much weight I was able to keep off in college simply because I was walking all over campus.

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
if your goal is strictly to lose weight regardless of how you end up looking then yes.

but you might end up losing the weight in muscle as well and look all messed up.

most people want to lose fat and building muscle can help promote that. so yes, as far as losing weight, diet is more important, as far as building muscle, weightlifting and general resistance training is important. as far as losing fat while retaining muscle (and yes, this applies to women too if they want to look shapely) both are important and have to work in synergy (along with cardio which in the right doses will actually help with your recovery while weightlifting) and sleep (which is probably the MOST underrated piece of the puzzle).