XCOM: Chimera Squad

Daps
logo_xcs_M_1.png

Last edited:

EarlyEarly

Superstar
Daps
I don't even know if my laptop can run this shyt but I threw down the $15. Hope it runs ok.

Uchiha God

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Wish this shyt was on consoles. I hope they port it over later down the line

I need more XCOM in my life

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Guess I'll post my thoughts here instead of the other thread.

First things first - every day one xcom game is buggy and has crashing problems. This is no different.

On the bright side though, Mod Support is IN day one and people are already going in with great tools.

This is a LOT faster than XCom 1 and 2. Maps are smaller, yeah, but the big thing is that all of the searching, setup, and hunting for the perfect situation is gone - the breach gameplay injects you from one encounter straight into the next. I love it, but you'll see more than a few people hate on it. Why?

No concealment
No alpha strike
No overwatch
No expendable rookies

All those crutches are out the window.

You do your best to bring the right gear for the job, but outside of that, the chips fall where they fall. Passive play is not an option. Gameplay is way more downhill than before and for the first time in the series, you're forced to acknowledge that you WILL take damage - and that objectives > your operators' health. In Xcom 1 and 2, you could laugh through reinforcements while farming up some free experience. In this? You will more than likely get your shyt smoked as you'll find yourself outgunned in ways you can't handle.

Another big thing is that turns aren't your team vs enemy team. Its individual based. If you've ever seen FFX's layout, this is the same. It may not seem a like a lot at first, but it breaks up the game in really refreshing ways and doesn't allow you to rely on coordinating squad-size moves to get out of trouble all the time (and this counts for the enemy too). If one of your teammates is out of position, they're immediately out of position and you gotta hold that. If an enemy is aggressive, you can isolate them. This also means that abilities and time-dependent functions have a different weight to them as well. Moving your ppl up or enemies down in the list is huge. Really good addition to make this game stand out from the rest of the series.

Strat layer is quality. The Xcom team understands how to make it work better than just about everyone else out there. Its simple, straightforward, and you're really never lost in your decision making.

I wasn't a fan of the locked characters at first, but I'm with it now. The game has its own narrative to give, and each of the characters is like a subclass of its own. Solid stuff. Necessary when building a team with certain roles in mind. Viper specializing in pulling hostages halfway across the level or binding up an enemy LT to choke em out slow. Pistol breh is the damage output king. You get a sectoid that is your trump card against other psionics. An assortment of specialized brawlers... Good stuff all around. Equipment is more diverse now too (and doesn't require an action to use). If you're not using it, you'll get washed. Straight up.

The reviews online right now are a mess because, in my opinion, people forgot what its like to get washed and don't know how to adapt. Or they're playing on easy and shyt dies so fast that the game doesn't get to show its depth.

Worth the money for any fan of tactical turn-based strat games.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
This game is made for the replay.

I fukked up. I was killing the strat layer, running through the first two factions I picked - then I had to deal with Sacred Coil late game.

Two of my most important squad members are damn near useless against these motherfukkers :dead: having to bring up the rest of the crew late in the game is a bad, bad time.

EarlyEarly

Superstar
Daps
I did one of the first missions and the reward was a scope but I don't see it in the inventory. Is it glitched?

Edit: Nevermind, I needed to research modular weapons first.

Last edited: