WTF is the point of the Num Lock button?

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I only ever use the number pad for typing numbers. no other reason
but every now and then you hut num lock by mistake and gotta retype the last 5 digits that didn't entered on whichever spreadsheet
Who needs to turn the num lock function off for this to be a permanent feature?
They need to get rid of that button or at least move it to the other side of the key board so you don't accidently hit it when going for 7
main-qimg-9a3ee61017425a316e4a6a9bc317da9f-lq

most frustrating thing about keyboards
I'm an accountant so i type out numbers all day and rarely even look at the keys, so sometimes slip happen, but it seems unnecessary

Flexington

All Star
Daps
It's just for the dual functionality in those buttons on the numberpad.

Most standard keyboards these days are full sized and you've got dedicated buttons for functions like Home, End, Page Dwn, Insert, etc.
I feel like earlier on our current full sized keyboards weren't as common (especially on laptops), but they've just left it on out of tradition/habit.

Could also have left it as a "just in case" you break those buttons? I dunno :yeshrug:

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
but every now and then you hut num lock by mistake and gotta retype the last 5 digits that didn't entered on whichever spreadsheet
They need to get rid of that button or at least move it to the other side of the key board so you don't accidently hit it when going for 7

I'm an accountant so i type out numbers all day and rarely even look at the keys, so sometimes slip happen, but it seems unnecessary

because if ur someone who has to enter lots of numbers manually on a spreadsheet, it's waaaayyyyyy easier to use the numeric pad on your keyboard instead of the number buttons that's above the letters. I can EASILY type on the number pad without looking. much harder with the number buttons.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
It's just for the dual functionality in those buttons on the numberpad.

Most standard keyboards these days are full sized and you've got dedicated buttons for functions like Home, End, Page Dwn, Insert, etc.
I feel like earlier on our current full sized keyboards weren't as common (especially on laptops), but they've just left it on out of tradition/habit.

Could also have left it as a "just in case" you break those buttons? I dunno :yeshrug:
literally a vestigial button from a bygone era that no longer serves a purpose but to be annoying

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
because if ur someone who has to enter lots of numbers manually on a spreadsheet, it's waaaayyyyyy easier to use the numeric pad on your keyboard instead of the number buttons that's above the letters. I can EASILY type on the number pad without looking. much harder with the number buttons.
you don't understand me. I'm saying why even have to ability to toggle off this function? all of us use the number pad for numbers. I myself type in spreadsheets all day. i use the number pad without looking, I game, i surf whatever, never had a reason to turn off the number function except by accident. should just permanently num lock the pad and remove that button. who are all the people the use the number pad for something beside number for it to be universally deemed need to have that button?

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
I got fired, and charged with destruction of property cause this bytch ass numlock wouldn't stay on. fukk numlock and fukk whoever took my register at Walmart

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda

IIRC, Unix-based systems don't use the number pad

The number pad only came about after MS-DOS (i.e. Windows) came out

That being said...yeah it's pretty pointless nowadays. There's no need to ever toggle off the functionality, even if you don't have a physical num pad (like on a laptop).