Wouldn't be easier for women to stay in shape with barbell training then cardio?

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
The big 5 Compound barbell movements hit more body mass and muscle burns fat.

Last edited:

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
That's what works for me. I started doing the 5x5 - but then switched to dumbells instead of the Barbell.

I use dumbbells then 15-20 mins Cardio 5x per week

I'm 5'2 so anything over 130-135lbs -- I think look fat and bloated.

I found my mom's old Joyce Vedral books -- and she uses the Pyramid System. I have been able to stay around 119-122lbs plus put on muscle. - and it has really helped tone and keep me in shape. I use 3/5/8 dumbbells.

The Power of the Pyramid System

Now what is the pyramid system. In the pyramid system, you add weight to each set- starting with the lightest weight for your first set, a middle weight for your second set, and your heaviest weight for you third and final set. But you reduce the repetitions in order to cope with the weight. Light could be very very light, as in one pound, middle could be only two pounds and heavy could be three. As the person gets stronger, he or she raises the overall weights. Let me give you an example.

• Set 1: 12 repetitions -1-pound dumbbells
  • Set 2: 10 repetitions -2-pound dumbbells
  • Set 3: 8 repetitions - 3-pound dumbbells.
Very soon, you would be using 2, 3 and 5 pound dumbbells, then 3, 5 and 8 pound dumbbells, and then5, 8 and 10 pound dumbbells and so on.

The psychology of the pyramid system is simple. You never get bored- and at the same time, you continually challenge your muscles. In the bargain, there is a natural stretch in the first set- so those people, myself for example, and almost every bodybuilder I know-who is too impatient to waste time stretching, get a natural stretch before each exercise. Of course, you could still do your normal stretches, but see the safeguard in the forced doing of one light set to start with!

But there’s more to the pyramid system than that. With this system, you’re better able to keep count of your sets. You rarely if ever lose count because the moving from one weight to another provides a natural counting system. In addition, with the pyramid system, you don’t dread rasing your weights when the weights become too easy, because you know only one of the sets will be raised. For example, say you are using 1,2 and 3 pound dumbbells. You know that now you will be using 2,3 and 5 pound dumbbells.​

51v1f-R2sCL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
That's what works for me. I started doing the 5x5 - but then switched to dumbells instead of the Barbell.

I use dumbbells then 15-20 mins Cardio 5x per week

I'm 5'2 so anything over 130-135lbs -- I think look fat and bloated.

I found my mom's old Joyce Vedral books -- and she uses the Pyramid System. I have been able to stay around 119-122lbs plus put on muscle. - and it has really helped tone and keep me in shape. I use 3/5/8 dumbbells.
The Power of the Pyramid System

Now what is the pyramid system. In the pyramid system, you add weight to each set- starting with the lightest weight for your first set, a middle weight for your second set, and your heaviest weight for you third and final set. But you reduce the repetitions in order to cope with the weight. Light could be very very light, as in one pound, middle could be only two pounds and heavy could be three. As the person gets stronger, he or she raises the overall weights. Let me give you an example.

• Set 1: 12 repetitions -1-pound dumbbells
  • Set 2: 10 repetitions -2-pound dumbbells
  • Set 3: 8 repetitions - 3-pound dumbbells.
Very soon, you would be using 2, 3 and 5 pound dumbbells, then 3, 5 and 8 pound dumbbells, and then5, 8 and 10 pound dumbbells and so on.

The psychology of the pyramid system is simple. You never get bored- and at the same time, you continually challenge your muscles. In the bargain, there is a natural stretch in the first set- so those people, myself for example, and almost every bodybuilder I know-who is too impatient to waste time stretching, get a natural stretch before each exercise. Of course, you could still do your normal stretches, but see the safeguard in the forced doing of one light set to start with!

But there’s more to the pyramid system than that. With this system, you’re better able to keep count of your sets. You rarely if ever lose count because the moving from one weight to another provides a natural counting system. In addition, with the pyramid system, you don’t dread rasing your weights when the weights become too easy, because you know only one of the sets will be raised. For example, say you are using 1,2 and 3 pound dumbbells. You know that now you will be using 2,3 and 5 pound dumbbells.​

51v1f-R2sCL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Thanks for this information. I love 5x5 and this seems similar where the goal is to increase your weight. Since it's getting cold out, I'll be switching to mostly weights and I need a new program to start. Right now I'm working with 15 and 20's, but trying to move up to 25lb dumbbells.

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
A lot of women are scared of getting big shoulders and building muscle in the chest area. Valid concerns I guess. I see a lot of women doing weighted squats and deadlifts though which are two of the foundation lifts for 5x5. Maybe women need to just stay away from isolation movements and do full body lifts

BobbyBooshay

Arnold Jackson
Daps
Reppin
London
Amount of Cardio/Time to burn fat isnt worth it IMO, like OP said best to do weights

Diet > Weights > Cardio

Daps
People tend to do what comes easiest naturally. Lean soccer player types will do more cardio. Thicc cheerleader/gymnast broads will migrate towards the weights. Both often look pretty good.

Brehs need to get more cardio in though for heart health. Rarely see us doing more than a moderate walk and almost never see us running more than a couple of miles.

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Most women don’t actually want to be “in shape” they just want to look slim/trim...If they valued being in shape they would see the benefit of strength training and barbell compound lifts...But it’s a reason why you only see them doing cardio or air squats and lunges

Donald J Trump

H.N.I.C
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
USA
People tend to do what comes easiest naturally. Lean soccer player types will do more cardio. Thicc cheerleader/gymnast broads will migrate towards the weights. Both often look pretty good.

Brehs need to get more cardio in though for heart health. Rarely see us doing more than a moderate walk and almost never see us running more than a couple of miles.
isnt a couple of miles a day good for a cardio session :dahell: