Would you rather watch the movie/tv series then play the game, or play the game first then watch the movie/series?

BBG

2014-2024
Daps
NO SPOILERS

use tags

The upcoming TLOU series on HBO got me thinking. I never played the games cause fukk Sony but it's exactly the kind of game I like based on what I've heard, so I do wanna play them. But I'm almost certain I'm not going to get a PlayStation before January 15th.

So I'm just curious, which media would you prefer not to be ruined? Because if you beat the game you know what's going to happen in the movie/series, but if you watch the film first I imagine it would have to negatively impact the gaming experience since you know what's going to happen.

Personally, for a story-driven game like this I imagine I'd rather enjoy the first time experience via playing the game as opposed to watching the series first and ruining the game, but I'm curious as to what y'all think.

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Probably game first then the show, simply because you can expect the shows to somewhat deviate from the original source material and make it different. Plus you’ll understand and appreciate more of the little details when watching the show because you’re familiar with the characters/lore

I feel like if you go the other way around the game won’t feel as impactful when playing it because you’re expecting certain plot points to happen. Granted it’s kind of the same thing with playing the game before watching the show, but I feel like plaything through a story yourself has more overall impact than watching it. I’d rather that be my first impression of something if I had to choose

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
could work either way…you could play the series now and there’d still be some decent time before season 1 of the show airs…OR you can watch the show first and if the first season sparks your interest you will have a lot of time between seasons to play the series…there are 3 games in the series btw (1 of them is real short tho) :yes:

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
but I feel like plaything through a story yourself has more overall impact than watching it. I’d rather that be my first impression of something if I had to choose

true especially if the show isn’t that good although I expect it will be…but I’m thinking of the walking dead…I read the comics first which had me anticipating the show which was a huge letdown…I still think the comic series is a classic tho…if I had watched the show first, then I would’ve had zero interest in the comic…if he’s a gamer then chances are good he’ll enjoy the game without the show potentially “tainting” his impression of it

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
I think the last of us will be a game of thrones experience for the people who played the game.
honestly playing the game would be better but the show will have a better reaction to the audience

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
NO SPOILERS

use tags

The upcoming TLOU series on HBO got me thinking. I never played the games cause fukk Sony but it's exactly the kind of game I like based on what I've heard, so I do wanna play them. But I'm almost certain I'm not going to get a PlayStation before January 15th.

So I'm just curious, which media would you prefer not to be ruined? Because if you beat the game you know what's going to happen in the movie/series, but if you watch the film first I imagine it would have to negatively impact the gaming experience since you know what's going to happen.

Personally, for a story-driven game like this I imagine I'd rather enjoy the first time experience via playing the game as opposed to watching the series first and ruining the game, but I'm curious as to what y'all think.
It's best to go with the original media release first. The TV show is unlikely to be a 1 to 1 copy of the game.

Hey_zeus

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
This the issue I have with the Witcher. I own 3 but never played it. Haven't started the show because I feel the game will be better. Was waiting on W3 next gen upgrades. Forgot about them then I see a Witcher 1 remake is happening. Essentially I'll never play these games or watch the show. :russ:

Phillyrider807

My Soundtrack is the second “Carter”
Daps
Reppin
215 Uptown!
You always want to experience the original vision in whatever media that is, Since there's no telling how true to the source material the latter will be.

So in this case the game.

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Probably game first then the show, simply because you can expect the shows to somewhat deviate from the original source material and make it different. Plus you’ll understand and appreciate more of the little details when watching the show because you’re familiar with the characters/lore

I feel like if you go the other way around the game won’t feel as impactful when playing it because you’re expecting certain plot points to happen. Granted it’s kind of the same thing with playing the game before watching the show, but I feel like plaything through a story yourself has more overall impact than watching it. I’d rather that be my first impression of something if I had to choose

This. End thread