Would Flint Crisis Happen In Wealthier, Whiter Community?

Medicate

Old School New School Need To Learn Though
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
They Poisoned The Water Supply Up In Flint,Michigan Under A Black Op

56a262221a00001001ab1264.jpeg

Would Flint Crisis Happen In Wealthier, Whiter Community?

"It's not just a water crisis. It's a racial crisis. It's a poverty crisis. That's what this is, and that's what created this."

FLINT, Mich. (AP) -- Ever since the full extent of the Flint water crisis emerged, one question has persisted: Would this have happened in a wealthier, whiter community?

Residents in the former auto-making hub - a poor, largely minority city - feel their complaints about lead-tainted water flowing through their taps have been slighted by the government or ignored altogether. For many, it echoes the lackluster federal response to New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

"Our voices were not heard, and that's part of the problem," Flint Mayor Karen Weaver said this week at the U.S. Conference of Mayors meeting in Washington, D.C., where she also met with President Barack Obama to make her case for federal help for her city.

The frustration has mostly been directed at Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder, who appointed an emergency manager to run Flint. That manager approved a plan in 2013 to begin drawing drinking water from the Flint River, and the city began doing so the next year. But officials failed to treat the corrosive water properly to prevent metal leaching from old pipes.

Snyder, a Republican in his second term, was blasted by Hillary Clinton in her remarks after the recent Democratic presidential debate.

"We've had a city in the United States of America where the population, which is poor in many ways and majority African-American, has been drinking and bathing in lead-contaminated water. And the governor of that state acted as though he didn't really care," Clinton said.

Snyder "had requests for help that he had basically stone-walled. I'll tell you what: If the kids in a rich suburb of Detroit had been drinking contaminated water and being bathed in it, there would've been action."

Flint residents complained loudly and often about the water quality immediately after the switch but were repeatedly told it was safe. They didn't learn the water was tainted until the state issued warnings a year and a half later. Now families fear for their health and especially for the future of their children, who can develop learning disabilities and behavior problems from lead exposure.

Losttribe

[Formerly Blackking]
Daps
No

Because they actually have a community. And we are just in their society crying about shyt.... but loving the few luxuries they provide

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They actually own their communities. So no. We let folks who we didn't pick control govt. We let folks we don't know control the food supply. Then dumb nikkas look at me crazy when I say we can't progress period unless we get into agriculture, water, energy, and land/property ownership. It's just a fact. We gotta own blocks. Take over cities as groups of businessman.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
It's very possible but the response and coverup wouldn't have gone on as long as it did. America's infrastructure is in peril and it's water infrastructure is very dated.

You would be surprised how much revamping and replacing water systems cost. I know I was. It would be very burdensome to the majority of communities to replace.

Race is a part of it in the case Flint without a doubt but this is mainly a class issue.

D-NICE

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Nashville Tenn
Maybe lower class but anything above that, this would have been cleared up a year ago. I also think some those who were involved in the cover up might have had some unfortunate "accidents" after it was over.

Cabbage Patch

The Media scene in V is for Vendetta is the clue
Daps
Reppin
The Last Frontier
I remember reading about how wealthier subdivisions steal water from poorer ones out in California. The theft is legal because the wealthy make the laws.

It's not just racial, it's class warfare (saw some water plans a couple years ago for a city which barely has a black population, but the wealthier parts still gerrymander the majority of water for themselves).

Asking for equality won't do anything. The people making the rules operate on get mine fukk yours - which is why they're wealthy go begin with.

Depending on nikkas chasing paper to look out for the rest won't do anything either. Nikkas have to become clannish, putting the group before the individual. Paper plus elections plus clannishness.

We redevelop the third, no more got mine fukk yours someone else deal with the fallout later crap.