Working in the NOC is so boring

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
And I'm like, is this what a network admin would be like?

It's mostly monitoring

Asking ppl bruh did you check cables and connections?

Hitting up last mile carriers for dispatches

The most fun I ever had in IT was fixing hybrid domain issues. Felt like a boss

Wondering if I should go into System Admin instead

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
And I'm like, is this what a network admin would be like?

It's mostly monitoring

Asking ppl bruh did you check cables and connections?

Hitting up last mile carriers for dispatches

The most fun I ever had in IT was fixing hybrid domain issues. Felt like a boss

Wondering if I should go into System Admin instead
At least use the time to get experience and try to move up within the company, or move to a higher tier NOC position somewhere else. I do not deal with the NOC that much at my current company, but my old one i did. I did at times get certain simple issues brought to me by the lower tier NOC but most of the time it was solved before it got my team.

The upper tier of NOC that would troubleshoot major issues and if i got messaged by one of them, i knew it was a real issue. All of NOC is not simple troubleshooting, so see what you can do to get on a higher tier.

Let your manager know that you are willing to take on more complicated tasks/responsibilites and study as much as you can. Do not get stuck in at that level. The good thing about Operations is that you should get exposed to a wide array of fields that you may want to switch to once you get more experience.

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
Nah breh, you should be using this time getting your ccnp (you can skip ccna now if you are familiar with the material).

As a network engineer, I work on so many different projects at the same time ( I work at a Fortune 500 so it may be different for smaller companies) and it's up to me to decide how and when it gets done in time.

Running cables and connecting devices is low level stuff that I have my minions do. I have boxes and boxes of switches and enterprise routers that need to be configured. Different configs for the different use cases and environments that the device will be installed in.

Gotta figure out what the business wants and how I am going to implement it. That means coming up with a design and architecting it. What kind of devices are we going to use, creating subnets, working with vendors to figure out rack sizes, power needed, patch panels, fiber runs, ISP circuits etc.

Bottom line, there's a lot to do in networking and being in the noc is just getting your foot in the door. Use this time to study and move on to bigger and better.

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
Nah breh, you should be using this time getting your ccnp (you can skip ccna now if you are familiar with the material).

As a network engineer, I work on so many different projects at the same time ( I work at a Fortune 500 so it may be different for smaller companies) and it's up to me to decide how and when it gets done in time.

Running cables and connecting devices is low level stuff that I have my minions do. I have boxes and boxes of switches and enterprise routers that need to be configured. Different configs for the different use cases and environments that the device will be installed in.

Gotta figure out what the business wants and how I am going to implement it. That means coming up with a design and architecting it. What kind of devices are we going to use, creating subnets, working with vendors to figure out rack sizes, power needed, patch panels, fiber runs, ISP circuits etc.

Bottom line, there's a lot to do in networking and being in the noc is just getting your foot in the door. Use this time to study and move on to bigger and better.
I would not skip the CCNA to try and get the CCNP, that is crazy especially if you have little to no network experience.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
At least use the time to get experience and try to move up within the company, or move to a higher tier NOC position somewhere else. I do not deal with the NOC that much at my current company, but my old one i did. I did at times get certain simple issues brought to me by the lower tier NOC but most of the time it was solved before it got my team.

The upper tier of NOC that would troubleshoot major issues and if i got messaged by one of them, i knew it was a real issue. All of NOC is not simple troubleshooting, so see what you can do to get on a higher tier.

Let your manager know that you are willing to take on more complicated tasks/responsibilites and study as much as you can. Do not get stuck in at that level. The good thing about Operations is that you should get exposed to a wide array of fields that you may want to switch to once you get more experience.
Yeah for sure
Ima get a vert
And use this time to fukk around with cml and python

Kufi

Pro
Daps
How'd you get that position? Been tryna get outta helpdesk for the longest.