Woke up this morning part one & two: Blues documentary

Counter Racist Male

Retired poster and occasional lurker
Daps
Reppin
MYSELF
Blues America Part 2

5:30 White people eat off of us so easily it’s insane. Smh.

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

2:25 Tell me why there’s no blues in Cuba, no blues in Puerto Rico, no blues, St. Kitts. Blues 100% black American. This a very good documentary.

30:00 pure exploitation. Smh.

@IllmaticDelta

I somehow missed this thread but the answer to this:

“I did a talk a few years ago at Harvard where I played those two things, and the room absolutely exploded in clapping, because [the connection] was obvious,” says Diouf, an author and scholar who is also a researcher at New York’s Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture. “People were saying, ‘Wow. That’s really audible. It’s really there.’” It’s really there thanks to all the Muslim slaves from West Africa who were taken by force to the United States for three centuries, from the 1600’s to the mid-1800’s. Upward of 30 percent of the African slaves in the United States were Muslim, and an untold number of them spoke and wrote Arabic, historians say now. Despite being pressured by slave owners to adopt Christianity and give up their old ways, many of these slaves continued to practice their religion and customs, or otherwise melded traditions from Africa into their new environment in the antebellum South. Forced to do menial, backbreaking work on plantations, for example, they still managed, throughout their days, to voice a belief in God and the revelation of the Qur’an. These slaves’ practices eventually evolved—decades and decades later, parallel with different singing traditions from Africa—into the shouts and hollers that begat blues music, Diouf and other historians believe.

Saudi Aramco World : Muslim Roots, U.S. Blues

GngOTXE.png

8yszPyB.jpg

A comparison between the Upper West African influenced Blues and the lower West/Central African drum based Cuban music

ghyZTdm.png

S7hqZ5r.png

gTszPes.png

4FaO3Ld.png

fojN96f.png

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Finishing part one on YouTube.

I love blues music..shyt comes straight from the soul.

besides rap, blues & brass band music is always in rotation.

Mississippi Sheiks & Ma Rainey my favorite blues acts at the moment