Will the Series S hold back next gen? Digital Foundry spend over an hour on discussing it

Bubba T

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
They spent about 20 minutes discussing. You could of timestamped the video:childplease:

From listening, it's broken down to a few things.

1. Developers will have to work harder and utilize features like the SSD, especially on the Series S as this gen progresses. They'll be more intelligence in the use of the hardware.
2. Unreal Engine 5 can run on Series S, but probably not at 60fps. You'll probably end up seeing more 30-40fps games on Series S going forward.
3. You'll probably also see less 1440p games on Series S, probably sub 1080p as games become more demanding.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
TLDR: Yes
Xbot Spin: No

Yeah, sucks for them once cross-gen is over, which is looking very soon. Series S was a great short term solution for getting more people on xbox, but the problems will manifest itself during the mid gen cycle when even in 2026 they gotta still force 3rd party devs to make games for it

Will be even easier for them to skip the platform especially i theres no gamepass deal attached. The value proposition will look even worse once sony release their slim model consoles and get a price drop

FromStLouis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
St. Louis, U.S.A.
The usual clowns hopping into a Series S thread like :
1*9iamSGY-bd06RUjrEswDAQ.gif

:jbhmm: I guess Modern Warfare II running at 1440p 60fps was just luck.

I guess having The Coalition who co-developed The Matrix Awakens with Epic the inventers of Unreal Engine will prove no help either. When Gears 6 comes out talk to me then. Clowns.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The usual clowns hopping into a Series S thread like :
1*9iamSGY-bd06RUjrEswDAQ.gif

:jbhmm: I guess Modern Warfare II running at 1440p 60fps was just luck.

I guess having The Coalition who co-developed The Matrix Awakens with Epic the inventers of Unreal Engine will prove no help either. When Gears 6 comes out talk to me then. Clowns.

You on the clock. Gotta do that X upgrade to continue to stan on this level :youngsabo:

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
The Series S will be fine, the only real problem with it is the storage. It's nearly required to have a memory card for the system, and unless the price of the memory drops, you'd be spending close to what the series x cost.

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
Of course it won't, some games won't look as good but that's pretty much it, same as in low end PCs.

O³ (O cubed)

No more PAWGs, PLEASE??!!!??
Daps
Reppin
Hackney, London
They'll probably use FSR to supersample.

Ultimately a Microsoft Studio will have to show third party how to get the best of the hardware