DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
http://i.minus.com/isYzkbsv9e22q.gif

will.i.am Pursues Legal Action Against Pharrell & i am OTHER

by Danielle Harling

posted June 27, 2013 at 3:22PM CDT | 75 comments

UPDATE: Pharrell Williams expresses his disappointment in will.i.am after receiving a notice of opposition over i am OTHER. will.i.am's lawyer explains his client's prerogative.

Labelmates will.i.am and Pharrell Williams have found themselves in a legal debacle due to the name of Pharrell’s newest creative venture, i am OTHER.

According to HotNewHipHop.com, the Black Eyed Peas frontman felt that the name i am OTHER is entirely too similar to the “I AM” branding he uses and went on to file a notice of opposition against Pharrell and his creative brand, stating that i am OTHER “is likely to dilute the I AM mark and the WILL.I.AM mark."

In a statement, Pharrell explained that he attempted to “talk things out” with will.i.am before he went on to take legal action, but was unsuccessful.

"I am disappointed that Will, a fellow artist, would file a case against me," said Pharrell. "I am someone who likes to talk things out and, in fact, I attempted to do just that on many occasions. I am surprised in how this is being handled and I am confident that Will's trademark claims will ultimately be found to be as meritless and ridiculous as I do."

will.i.am’s decision to take legal action against The Neptunes producer comes as quite the surprise given the history of the two musicians. Both artists have worked actively with pop star Miley Cyrus on her upcoming album and the pair also assisted Nas with his “Hip Hop Is Dead” record.

(June 26)

UPDATE: will.i.am's lawyer clarified his client's legal action, in a letter given to HipHopWired.com. In part, Ken Hertz, Senior Partner at Hertz Lichtenstein & Young, LLP, said, "will.i.am is not suing Pharrell Williams. What will.i.am has done is what any trademark owner must do to protect and maintain a trademark. Our client is following the standard procedures of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to defend trademarks that have been registered and that he has used widely and continuously for many years. This is a run-of-the-mill trademark procedure that has been going on since late last year."

Roberto Dinero

Dropped from #TnT
Daps
Reppin
The Infamous World's End Houses
Nas should sue both of em ..................... he shonuff need the financing :ahh:

:laugh:

On some real sh!t tho, Will.I.Am will never be half the producer that Pharell is. Even tho a lot of Neptunes beats today sound kinda outdated, The Neptunes and Pharell still got a lot of bangers under their belt and they brought something fresh and original to the world of rap.

Will.I.Am makes terrible f*cking music for the most part.

Roberto Dinero

Dropped from #TnT
Daps
Reppin
The Infamous World's End Houses
Furthermore, The Black Eyed Peas were always wack. Even before they added Fergie to the group and were considered underground hip hop, they already sucked back then.

And after Fergies addition, they sucked even worse. Will.I.Am has always been corny as f*ck. I wouldn't even consider his music hip hop. He makes techno/dance music. He can't mess with Pharell tha gawd.

⠀⠀⠀

HARRIS 2024
Daps
Reppin
CORONA, CA
fukk will i am he's a beat theif :pacspit:

too bad all the people who he stole tracks from didn't get paid for pain and suffering and anxiety to make his ass go broke.

Camammal

Half Man Half Mammal
Daps
Reppin
Marcy
Pharrell is a cool dude, its hard to imagine him having beef with in turn anyone which contributed to his success. Wiliam is a known fakkit tho, so :manny: