Will housing ever be affordable again?

Hoodoo Child

The Urban Legend
Daps
Reppin
The Crossroads
How are we rightfully voicing our grievances by voting for people who aren't making any progress working on this issue (if they're working on this issue at all)?
Because some people vote out of blind loyalty and/or that candidate is offering solutions to other issues they care about, besides the housing? Let's keep it a buck, the latest pool of candidates over the past decade haven't been too hot. Many people vote for (who they see) as the "lessor of two evils".

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
I think houses need to depreciate like cars.

Why should a house be worth the same or even more after 100 nuts have been bust in it, when simply just driving a car off the lot knocks a few thousand off its worth?
And don't get me started on dog owners :hhh:

Crib all fukked up inside and out. No paint job new floor can undo

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
It's already affordable depending on where you're willing to live
The average home in the US is 6x the median family income.

Considering you should have a 6 month emergency fund, a 20% down payment, and 5% of the home price in closing cost most first time home buyers can’t save all that up. They go in paying way less than 20% down and take on PMI with high monthly payments to get into a home with little emergency funds and hope things work out.

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
how the fukk is housing a basic human right? someone has to build the house for you :dead:
@kp404 feel free to answer the question

how the hell is housing a human right, when someone else has to build it for you, or work and pay taxes to pay for it? nobody has the right to that

and this housing, what exactly do you have a right to? your own studio? splitting a 4 bedroom? i'm guessing we aren't talking the right to your own single family house

if people are gonna throw this stupid talking point around, i'm simply asking you to define it :yeshrug:what kind of housing do you have a right to?

King Poetic

Black Coast Island
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles County, California

Considering you should have a 6 month emergency fund, a 20% down payment, and 5% of the home price in closing cost most first time home buyers can’t save all that up. They go in paying way less than 20% down and take on PMI with high monthly payments to get into a home with little emergency funds and hope things work out.

Bingo

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
City Propers and Greater Metro areas aren't the only places houses are sold.

Damn son these are valuable jewels you're dropping about solving the problem. "That wont work because it won't and youre a bytch ngga" Real innovative solutions you've cooked up for the crisis. Glad to see you're invested enough in the topic to not only intelligently explain what the road blocks are to these ideas, but also to suggest what would work.

Your respect for other posters who care about the issue and care enough to put proposals forward is really inspiring.
More bytch niqqa babble
Are you done taking this as an attack on your proposal and not the political system you live in?

Again, what you stated isn't going to happen in the United States of America in your or your children's lifetime. I kept it simple because you know better than that.
City Propers and Greater Metro areas aren't the only places houses are sold.
Greater metro areas are too large to tell people to move out of them where that's where jobs and family are. Unless you made such a move you're being a hypocrite and even if you did, it doesn't solve the issue and instead perpetuates it.

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
Are you done taking this as an attack on your proposal and not the political system you live in?

Again, what you stated isn't going to happen in the United States of America in your or your children's lifetime. I kept it simple because you know better than that.
I'm basing what I'm saying on things that have happened before. You know, history. After the depression, significant legislation was put in to reign in big business. That legislation has been systematically dismantled or made toothless by subsequent cuts in the budgets of departments like the FTC and the SEC. What I'm proposing is a return to a pattern of regulation that existed to prevent the kind of excesses we are seeing right now.

After WWII, millions of Americans were given the kind of support they needed to build the middle class and unions were powerful and protected in this country.

The FTC is current being run by a person who is pro consumer rights and wants to break up these companies. A political candidate(vivek) has mentioned Blackrock as a business that is too powerful and politicians like Bernie sanders have said multiple times that these businesses need to be regulated and broken up.

Lobbying is a new thing in American politics and was not happening in the 70s and earlier. You've failed to actually produce any counter argument based on any facts and you seem dedicated to just shutting down other people's ideas while not proposing better ones.

UpNext

Superstar
Daps
Because some people vote out of blind loyalty and/or that candidate is offering solutions to other issues they care about, besides the housing? Let's keep it a buck, the latest pool of candidates over the past decade haven't been too hot. Many people vote for (who they see) as the "lessor of two evils".
Keeping it a buck, housing isn't a pressing issue for anyone, and no politician's vote turnout is being negatively impacted by ignoring/giving next to bare minimum effort on the issue. People aren't serious about this issue.

A politician might lose votes by being progressive on this since the NIMBYs are the only people who will vote based on this issue while the people complaining will find another reason to vote for the politician not taking this issue seriously.

Because it's not a serious issue to the complainer but it is a serious issue to the NIMBY.

Last edited:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem

Greater metro areas are too large to tell people to move out of them where that's where jobs and family are. Unless you made such a move you're being a hypocrite and even if you did, it doesn't solve the issue and instead perpetuates it.
I've always considered the cost of living when i move somewhere. I'm not afraid to make a decently long commute to work if i have to.
I have had jobs where i had to drive an hour to and from work in the past.
But yes for the most part i've lived in areas where the cost of living is below the national average.
My house looks similar to this and cost me 60K
Red-Brick-Houses-social-share.jpg

775 a month mortgage.

I live in youngstown, a small city in ohio. about 10 minutes from downtown, and 15 minutes away from my job.
The house is also worth about 120K now versus the 60k purchase price. it was a a foreclosure and i had to invest about 20K fixing it up before i moved in.

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high

And guess what?

Things work out. That's why foreclosure rates are so low

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
you would need some laws keeping corporations out of homeownership. even when the boomers die, their homes will likely be in a state of disrepair and their finances will be depleted by medical costs. they may even have taken out loans on the home right before death. these houses are very likely to end up in the hands of investors instead of their children one way or another. the "we buy ugly houses" market has grown exponentially. these are "motivated sellers" because they are under duress. the poor wages, high costs, and lack of universal health care is actually taking homeownership away from more people and giving it to the wealthy. this is the earlier stage of neofuedalism.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
And guess what?

Things work out. That's why foreclosure rates are so low
That's because people have to keep a roof over their head. People have little to no savings and many of them use a credit card as an emergency fund. Their retirement savings is also anemic. Acquiring more debt is typically how they maintain.