Will Black Panther 2 suffer from the sequel curse

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
SO far no marvel movie has lived up to sequel expectations.

Iron Man 2
GOTG 2
Thor 2
AOU

Winter Soldier was the only sequel that was better than the original, but the first Captain America was meh, so the bar was low.

Then there's the question of when it will be released :mjpls:

I think it will hopefully be released in on the date in purple. It was originally supposed to be released during November last year, so that would be 3 years in between the two. They would be crazy to wait until the date in red :scusthov: (even though Dr. Strange, should get a sequel first and they might slot that for him :snoop:) So it will probably be released in the date in brown. :manny:

May 1, 2020 - Untitled Marvel Movie
July 31, 2020 - Untitled Marvel Movie 2
November 6, 2020 - Untitled Marvel Movie 3
May 7, 2021 - Untitled Marvel Movie 4
July 31, 2021 - Untitled Marvel Movie 5
November 5, 2021 - Untitled Marvel Movie 6
February 18, 2022 - Untitled Marvel Movie 7
May 6, 2022 - Untitled Marvel Movie 8
July 29, 2022 - Untitled Marvel Movie 9

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Black Panther 2?:usure:

Haven’t you heard breh?

giphy.gif

I mean I ain’t gonna spoil it for you but..... :mjgrin:

Martha

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
SO far no marvel movie has lived up to sequel expectations.

Iron Man 2
GOTG 2
Thor 2
AOU

Winter Soldier was the only sequel that was better than the original, but the first Captain America was meh, so the bar was low.
GOTG 2, and AOU are both worthy sequels. I actually prefer GOTG 2 to the original. The jokes miss more often and the music isn't as good, but the villain is much stronger and it has more heart. It gets the edge, imo.

Winter Soldier is great in it's own right, not just because of the "low bar" of the original. Which I also think is underrated, but not by much usually.

Now, to the main question: Black Panther messed up by killing off both villains in the first movie. Andy Serkis is a top notch talent and all indications are his character was killed off without getting much use out of him. If it were up to me, Klaue would have been the primary villain of the first movie and Killmonger the primary villain of the second. If Marvel reversed the order, I'm sure they could make that work too, but they definitely should not have killed both villains.

There have been enough successful sequels for me to say there isn't a sequel curse, but still Marvel didn't do a great job of setting up a sequel for Black Panther. Of course, they could still knock it out of the park. This is Marvel we're talking about.:usure:

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
4 years?!:damn:

That's only if they keep in in February. In all honesty, there aint but so many places you can put it. May and July are off limits (for now anyway). So you have November and February. November was BP's original slot but Spiderman bumped it. I think Whatever movie they release in November is expected to make it's bread early and fade, so it won't compete/effect Star Wars in December. February would be the best time, especially for BP but unless they plan on adding another Marvel release in 2021, 4 years it will be.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Black Panther 2?:usure:

Haven’t you heard breh?

giphy.gif

I mean I ain’t gonna spoil it for you but..... :mjgrin:

Martha

Yeah.... You're right breh..:patrice:

“We definitely want Ryan to come back and that’s actively being worked out right now. When will it be? A lot of it will be when Ryan wants to and not rushing anything, but I think we have an idea of when it will be. But, again, [we’re] not going to announce any post-Avengers 4 movies until hopefully after Avengers 4, which is another reason we’re not going to Comic-Con.”

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
Ryan Coogler is going to crush the buildings. If they could introduce doom by the time the legal proceedings are finished... woooo........

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
They not gonna rush Ryan but uh...:patrice:

They gonna throw some mills at his feet to get him to work on that shyt asap:ufdup:

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
I wouldn't write off the possibility of it making more than BP1. Ticket prices will go up by 2020 and it'll probably do better overseas now that the character and setting is firmly established. Black Panther 1 also released on a relatively low amount of screens compared to other top grossing movies (2nd fewest screens in the top 20 box office openings all time). They'll add another 200-300 screens for the sequel.

At least see who they cast as the villain and what direction they decide to go with the franchise, as far as if they'll feature Shuri or M'Baku or Okoye even more in marketing. The wait to see them again is only going to make the heart grow fonder for these characters.

Last edited:

Reece

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
No. Focus on "Doomwar" for the 2nd movie (assuming Marvel figures out how to get the Fantastic Four rights).

Then have Narmor be the villain for the third movie.

Last edited:

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It certainly won't make the same amount of money.

People were going to see it six, seven times. Lighting won't strike twice.
It doesn't have to make the same amount of money lol. People are already setting up the narrative that if the sequel doesn't make at least the same amount or more than it will be a flop. Ultron made less than Avengers 1, production on the franchise didn't stop and the sky didn't fall. BP2 will make money, it may not reach the highs of the first(very few movies do), but it will make money especially if it's a damn good movie.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I wouldn't write off the possibility of it making more than BP1. Ticket prices will go up by 2020 and it'll probably do better overseas now that the character and setting is firmly established. Black Panther 1 also released on a relatively low amount of screens compared to other top grossing movies (2nd fewest screens in the top 20 box office openings all time). They'll add another 200-300 screens for the sequel.

At least see who they cast as the villain and what direction they decide to go with the franchise, as far as if they'll feature Shuri or M'Baku or Okoye even more in marketing. The wait to see them again is only going to make the heart grow fonder for these characters.

Yup. It has a strong chance of making more or comparable. It did very well overseas for a Marvel solo movie [made more than spidey homecoming and Thor: R] but that 645mil overseas can feasibly be 750 to 800+ mil depending on the villain and set pieces.

M.g. Fast and Furious barely makes over 200m domestic but yet a billion overseas simply bc int'l audiences love giant ignorant set pieces, sleek/sexy vehicles, and a 'fun time' with characters they adore.

Not saying BP should go that route or try to cater, but he has all the tools, tropes, and loveable characters to further tap into that well if they choose to ramp certain things up.