Why Xbox Failed In Japan

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
I mean Japan loves handhelds like the 3ds and switch. And they didn’t get support from Japanese developers like Sony gets.

Baka's Weird Case

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
How about the fact that their approach didn’t seem to be focused on story driven games. Can’t have a successful JRPG not primarily focused on story.
during the 360 run they actually had a few jrpg exclusives like infinite undiscovery, the last remnant, resonance of fate, blue dragon and last odyssey. never really panned out though

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I posted this video up a couple months back but it's a very good listen.

Most won't but I'd suggest it, it'll teach you some accurate gaming history

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
LwijsbV.gif

Baka's Weird Case

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
come to think of it i dont think western games in general are popular like that in japan

i remember game informer used to list the bestselling games in the us and japan and western games were never in the japanese list. and i cant think of any western series that blew up there

Hyperion

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land of The North
during the 360 run they actually had a few jrpg exclusives like infinite undiscovery, the last remnant, resonance of fate, blue dragon and last odyssey. never really panned out though

Yeah, cause most JRPG fans are going to stick to Playstation since that's where all of those titles would be. Even Kingdom Hearts was a mostly PS-exclusive franchise and anywhere outside of NA and maybe Europe, people are gonna buy KH titles on PS. I don't even think FF titles on Xbox particularly do that great outside of NA either.

They definitely did try though in the 360 era, but there just wasn't any JRPG title that made people want to go buy an Xbox, and any notable title that did was also coming out on PS3. Resonance of Fate was also a multi-plat title and the remaster that came out in 2018 only went to PC and PS4. Every other JRPG Xbox title either seemed to miss the mark entirely or wasn't impressive enough to warrant it becoming its own series. Sakaguchi (creator of FF) had Mistwalker and made two of the Xbox-exclusive titles you listed, but neither of them ever crossed the 80/100 rating on Metacritic back in the day (back when people took those reviews way more seriously than they do now). He made those back in 2007 and 2008, and then his studio never touched Xbox again. It's a shame, but I don't think Square or any other JRPG studio is going to make an Xbox-exclusive title ever again. Or at least not any time soon.

The whole reason why I play on PlayStation is because of the JRPGs on here, plus the console exclusives are amazing. To people like me, there's no incentive to make Xbox be the main console I use. For the exclusives on Xbox? Sure, but there's so many more titles for PlayStation that catch my interest more, especially when you wanna talk about games like Persona. If the Xbox division started getting studios on board to make JRPGs more welcome on that side, I think more people would be willing to buy, but for me? I literally bought a PS4 for Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3, even as early as 2015. I haven't regret that purchase once, and KH3 just came out last year.

Look at how many people bought a PS4 for FF7 Remake. I've seen people buy a PS4 for Persona 5/Royal because of it not coming to the Switch any time soon (if at all). Xbox needs exclusive JRPG titles that look so promising that people feel like they need to jump in on it. Otherwise, they'll just get the multi-plat version of whichever console they already have.