Why the **** is profanity such a problem for some people?

Existential

Nothing really matters...
Daps
1. People overreact to 4-letter words in ways that are worse than the words themselves. I've read about people slapping others for cursing in front of them or getting way too angry.

2. The world isn't rated G, not in the slightest. Who cares if a child hears the word "fukk," they're going to hear it anyway. It won't ruin their innocence or childhood, because nearly all kids know those words and still don't fully grasp what the big fukking deal is.

3. A 911 operator hung up on a girl because she was cursing too much, like people are supposed to have total self-control during a crisis? People who hate profanity are worse than people who use profanity, because they often have no understanding of context whatsoever.

4. Can't people see that words only have as much power as you give them? Everyone who doesn't care will never be bothered by mere words. Ever. While these overly sensitive motherfukkers will actually have their days ruined just because someone said the word "fukk" in their presence.

What the fukk is wrong with people and profanity, brehs?

Last edited by a moderator:

Non Sequitur

Creep.
Daps
Reppin
The 3rd Degree
Should I run up on your grandmother like, "Hey, how the fukk are ya! :krs:"

Then turn to you and say, "I see where ya mama get that ass from :steviej:"

No. Everything has a time and a place.

Existential

Daps
Should I run up on your grandmother like, "Hey, how the fukk are ya! :krs:"

Then turn to you and say, "I see where ya mama get that ass from :steviej:"

No. Everything has a time and a place.
:comeon:

That's not the same thing as someone having a casual conversation that's not directed at you. You can be disrespectful without having to use profanity at all.

If someone's being disrespectful and insulting you: With/Without profanity, it's not OK.

You're trying to tell me about everything having a time and a place, but what about people like the 911 operator who feel that profanity is absolutely wrong even in the most understandable context? I'm talking about that, not the contrived examples you gave.

Xerces

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Texas
Well In the as far as the video the dispatcher should have taken into consideration the level of the situation and that sometimes people in panicked situations say/do things, so he was wrong there.

As far as just cursing to curse it just sounds terrible there other words you can use to get the exact same point across.

OP question? do you try not to curse around little ones?

Mastamimd

Ain't shyt
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Some people were brought up different as well...I'm a city raised cat but some people are raised in very strict environments...shyt I got fam that scoffs at me when I say ass on FB and shyt

Non Sequitur

Creep.
Daps
Reppin
The 3rd Degree
:comeon:

That's not the same thing as someone having a casual conversation that's not directed at you. You can be disrespectful without having to use profanity at all.

If someone's being disrespectful and insulting you: With/Without profanity, it's not OK.

You're trying to tell me about everything having a time and a place, but what about people like the 911 operator who feel that profanity is absolutely wrong even in the most understandable context? I'm talking about that, not the contrived examples you gave.

Should people have graphic phone sex in public? That's a casual conversation that's not directed at you, and its certainly understandable to use a few blue words to get your partner off, amirite?

Existential

Daps
Well In the as far as the video the dispatcher should have taken into consideration the level of the situation and that sometimes people in panicked situations say/do things, so he was wrong there.

Thank you!

As far as just cursing to curse it just sounds terrible there other words you can use to get the exact same point across.

I still don't think it's worth getting offended over. There are way worse things to be offended about, if you want to be offended by anything at all.

It doesn't sound offensive to me, it just sounds like the person has a limited vocabulary. I don't get angry at them for that.

OP question? do you try not to curse around little ones?

I personally try not to use profanity as much as possible whether I'm around adults or children, because I think wit is more effective. But I don't get upset when other people use profanity, and if a child is around someone who's talking to me (not obnoxiously loud) and cursing up a storm, I don't think that person should be censored, necessarily.

Should people have graphic phone sex in public? That's a casual conversation that's not directed at you, and its certainly understandable to use a few blue words to get your partner off, amirite?

Profanity, in and of itself, shouldn't have any negative/positive connotation. That's my fundamental position. Public phone sex with or without profanity is still obscene, while profanity laden casual conversation about nothing particularly offensive shouldn't offend anyone.

Single words in a neutral context shouldn't be considered offensive, we must consider the complete meaning and intent.

Does that make any sense to anyone at all?

Non Sequitur

Creep.
Daps
Reppin
The 3rd Degree
Thank you!

I still don't think it's worth getting offended over. There are way worse things to be offended about, if you want to be offended by anything at all.

It doesn't sound offensive to me, it just sounds like the person has a limited vocabulary. I don't get angry at them for that.

I personally try not to use profanity as much as possible whether I'm around adults or children, because I think wit is more effective. But I don't get upset when other people use profanity, and if a child is around someone who's talking to me (not obnoxiously loud) and cursing up a storm, I don't think that person should be censored, necessarily.

Profanity, in and of itself, shouldn't have any negative/positive connotation. That's my fundamental position. Public phone sex with or without profanity is still obscene, while profanity laden casual conversation about nothing particularly offensive shouldn't offend anyone.

Sooooo....you know the definition of the word profanity...

... but you can't figure out why it may offend some people...:patrice:

Xerces

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Texas
Thank you!

Single words in a neutral context shouldn't be considered offensive, we must consider the complete meaning and intent.

Me personally I don't get offended by it but it does sound bad and there are other grown ways to convey your thoughts. And in my opinion seeing how your an adult maybe in the future possibly being mindful that not everybody wants to hear that.

You yourself said you try and watch your mouth around kids, why do you think that is?

Existential

Daps
Me personally I don't get offended by it but it does sound bad and there are other grown ways to convey your thoughts. And in my opinion seeing how your an adult maybe in the future possibly being mindful that not everybody wants to hear that.

You yourself said you try and watch your mouth around kids, why do you think that is?

I know all this, I'm just trying to say that maybe people should try not to give these words so much power. I know it offends people, I know that avoiding its use makes you more expressive.

When I hear someone use it excessively, I don't get angry at them, I just find them... linguistically lacking.

What I'm trying to say is that people need to distance themselves from it emotionally, and not get upset. See it as a shortcoming of vocabulary, not as an invitation for you to actually get angry.

Sooooo....you know the definition of the word profanity...

... but you can't figure out why it may offend some people...:patrice:

I know what profanity means, I know that it's considered offensive... but we need to change that. Why should we let these silly little words remain so powerfully offensive to our ears? Why don't we attempt to reverse this? I'm trying to say that people should work on being less offended by it.

Collectively, we need to stop being so offended by things. Even the things that we formerly deemed "offensive." We need less Sensitivity training, more Stoic training.

Xerces

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Texas
I know all this, I'm just trying to say that maybe people should try not to give these words so much power. I know it offends people, I know that avoiding its use makes you more expressive.

When I hear someone use it excessively, I don't get angry at them, I just find them... linguistically lacking.

What I'm trying to say is that people need to distance themselves from it emotionally, and not get upset. See it as a shortcoming of vocabulary, not as an invitation for you to actually get angry.

I know what profanity means, I know that it's considered offensive... but we need to change that. Why should we let these silly little words remain so powerfully offensive to our ears? Why don't we attempt to reverse this? I'm trying to say that people should work on being less offended by it.

Collectively, we need to stop being so offended by things. Even the things that we formerly deemed "offensive." We need less Sensitivity training, more Stoic training.
they'll never lose the power. Good luck with getting people who don't care for it to change their mind and see your way.

2 instead of fighting a losing battle and since you're also saying it's not good and that people who do it lack verbal communication skills why don't you yourself work on eliminating it from your vocab?

And honestly I've never seen anyone get full blown aggressively angry over someone cursing it's been more a calm "hey would you mind watching your words" type thing. Have you seen someone get legit angry (confrontational status) over someone cursing?

TheArchitect

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Profanity doesn't bother me at all...I grew up getting cussed at like I was a grown ass man, so I guess I sort of got desensitized to it...Matter of fact, my family on particular is known for having fiery tempers and sailor mouths...I cuss almost unconsciously, but I manage to cut it off around those who would've than likely be offended or small children...I don't really think a person who cusses has a limited vocabulary (at least I know I don't), but I just try to have tact about it...I don't get why people are so offended by them either, but ehhh, whatever...