Why is Miyazaki’s latest movie “How Do I Live?” Shrouded in secrecy?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Movie came out last week and theres still no information on it. No reviews, no trailers, no pictures of it online, very little information, but everyone that saw it calls its a masterpiece, better than The Wind Rises. Whats the deal here?

YZ2A35PBIFPFDN4WLWPBTRSDFU.jpg

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
There’s an article that goes into exactly why he did this and it’s :wow:

In the interview, Suzuki also contrasted Ghibli’s approach for How Do You Live? with the usual marketing methods of Hollywood.

“There’s an American movie — ah, I almost said the title out loud! — coming out this summer around the same time [as How Do You Live?],” he said. “They’ve made three trailers for it, and released them one at a time. If you watch all three, you know everything that’s going to happen in that movie. So how do moviegoers feel about that? There must be people, who, after watching all the trailers, don’t want to actually go see the movie. So, I wanted to do the opposite of that.”

Miyazaki is a legend and at that point of his career where he can get away with doing stuff like this. Once word gets out that his final film is in theaters, the majority of folks, especially his ultra loyal fanbase, are going to jump up in awe and go see that piff. It’s an unorthodox approach that not every director can pull off and studio will adhere to though.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Hollywood be like:

Official Teaser Trailer -> Official Trailer #1 -> Official Trailer #2 -> Official Trailer #3 -> Final Trailer (week of release)

TV Spot #1 -> TV Spot #2 -> TV Spot #3 (with testimonials galore on how you just gotta go see this! :ohlawd:)

I get it for marketing sakes but damn, if I watched every single one of those I’m pretty sure I’d have a close to full idea on how the movie would go down.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Hollywood be like:

Official Teaser Trailer -> Official Trailer #1 -> Official Trailer #2 -> Official Trailer #3 -> Final Trailer (week of release)

TV Spot #1 -> TV Spot #2 -> TV Spot #3 (with testimonials galore on how you just gotta go see this! :ohlawd:)

I get it for marketing sakes but damn, if I watched every single one of those I’m pretty sure I’d have a close to full idea on how the movie would go down.

Most people, especially now, have the attention span of fruit flies.

Yes what you're talking about is annoying but you need to do all that extra shyt to keep the attention of the average person nowadays.

He don't need to do that, because the average person isn't going to see his movies, anyway. You gotta be plugged in to cinema, anime specifically, to even know his name.

Fred.

FreedMind

DOPAMINE FOR MY BABY!!
Daps
Reppin
hella international

Japanese films often make me wonder if I'm missing a critical cultural component that prevents me from fully grasping what I'm watching. In this case, I have double the worry of: Wondering if I've seen enough Miyazaki AND can make enough sense of Japanese lore to make a comment that I'm comfortable with.

Through the protagonist, Miyazaki bids his farewell, and begins to come to terms with having to let go, instead of being crushed under the immense weight of his own kingdom.

I do think most anyone should be able to appreciate the themes that Miyazaki has tackled in what was supposed to be his final film. Even though there were, in fact, times that I felt disinterested or confused by the story, I do think that Miyazaki managed to tie everything together nicely, on a thematic level.

Of course, I'm sure that there's swathes of people who are excited simply to get the chance to dive into another fantastical world from one of animation's most treasured minds. However, I personally found that Miyazaki's trademarks sometimes felt too familiar -- on one hand, the magic and animation are as endearing as I remembered them being. Yet, on the other hand, this also begins to feel like a retread of material that has peaked elsewhere in the past, making me wonder if I'm just going through the motions, or playing along, just to get to the 'big picture.'

I'm off the fence. I liked the film. Not the tearjerker swan song I was sort of hoping for, but certainly one that I'd like to revisit, as the themes deal with questions that we will all contemplate so long as we are alive.

Last edited: