Why is it so hard to find a job now?

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
So the company I worked for got furloughed in late July and basically let go of everyone. I’ve been applying to jobs nonstop on indeed, LinkedIn, ziprecuiter etc bro I’m not hearing shyt back from these applications. No emails, no phone calls nothing. I wake up everyday and submit 20 applications sometimes 40 a day. I even lied saying I was white when asking about race and still didn’t hear anything. Is anyone else struggling to find work rn?
Found a job?

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Takes me back. I worked at a spot almost 10 years ago that was giving me easy money to do medical billing for cardiac devices. I came, I listened to talk radio all day, and generally minded my business except with my direct people. There were hundreds of folks in that place at any given time.

I was supposed to be evaluated for 90 days and it turned into 140+ or so of me working before they decided not to pick me up fulltime. I find out much later that not only was there a few people in the office gossiping about me (found this out from coworkers later) but my lack of talking to folks turned into no one wanting to keep me on because they felt like they didn't know me. Again, my direct reports and superiors I talked to all the time, but it was my first foray into office culture and that constant quiet shyt gets you canned. I was never trained properly and basically got ok by month 4 just through repetition and was never given an evaluation or any real guidance. It literally came down to someone vouching for me, or better yet, not thinking me weird and distant for minding my business and doing the work. Unfortunately, the biggest skill to nail is schmoozing if you are in the white collar space, especially when you are one of few black folks in the building.
Yea, and to add, even outside of that 1 job, some places will want to talk to youre references, and sometimes they'll specify that it needs to be people you've worked with. Though I guess me being super square, I never really thought about having your friends do it for you. I'm not saying you gotta tell them your life story, but share a little bit, don't be afraid of lunch convos. But probably stay away from topics that you have strong opinions on, since I wouldn't call work a safe space

egsteel

All Star
Daps
What do you need me to explain ?
Where can I find a list of programs that offer this profession and where can I find an online course? Is the online course excepted/respected everywhere or do they only care about the crcst certification.

head shots101

North Bronx Blocks!!!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx Blocks
Where can I find a list of programs that offer this profession and where can I find an online course? Is the online course excepted/respected everywhere or do they only care about the crcst certification.
What state you’re in? Even tho I teach this I will be completely honest you don’t need to go to school for this you can self study and pass this shyt ….. I do interviews and the only thing I care about is if you are fully certified……

I will explain more about the certification in another post …. I’ve been drinking lol

Check out the certification site to
Give you an idea

Any questions hit me up

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
Never let a job steal your life.

Layoffs this year:

• UPS: 12,000
• Meta: 11,000
• FedEx: 12,000
• Google: 12,000
• Amazon: 27,000
• Walmart: 12,000
• Citigroup: 20,000
• Microsoft: 10,000

Job security is an illusion.

Never feel guilty about leaving your job for a better opportunity

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
GRDMTpRXkAAGDRk

Ridge Forrester

All Star
Daps
In my opinion applying to jobs and sending out your resume is a waste of time. These days it’s about who you know that can help you connect to someone and get in.

I've never gotten a hired off a job posting. I've gotten jobs by talking to the employer directly at networking events, calling them up, or getting contacted by recruiters, and in each case the interview always felt like a formality.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
So the company I worked for got furloughed in late July and basically let go of everyone. I’ve been applying to jobs nonstop on indeed, LinkedIn, ziprecuiter etc bro I’m not hearing shyt back from these applications. No emails, no phone calls nothing. I wake up everyday and submit 20 applications sometimes 40 a day. I even lied saying I was white when asking about race and still didn’t hear anything. Is anyone else struggling to find work rn?
Not laughing at you, laughing at the white part

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
We're in a bear market. Sure NVIDIA, Google, Netflix, etc. are RIPPING right now.

However, Paypal, Affirm, Zillow, etc. along with a whole bunch of real world, highly recognizable mid-level companies and industries are down bad af back to worse than pre-COVID levels.

Throw in the fact rates are high af so no company can really hire talent and there's how it stands.

Last edited: