Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
Mostly making this thread to piggy back off of stuff mentioned in various other threads on here

Cliffs is so many other genres have sub sets and categories when it comes to award shows and such, meanwhile hip hop is basically all piled into one category, often times R&B even being in the same category, and then in these award shows, an artist like Common, Jay-Z, or Killer Mike should be competing with Gunna, 4Batz, or Don Tolliver, which is something I’ve always thought.

Drake's Tan

All Star
Daps
what would adult contemporary rap be?
As an example, something like this?

I haven't heard any tracks yet, but from what I've read about it, sounds like Chance the Rapper (who I hadn't fukked with heavy before tbh) has an upcoming concept album that would fit that category too.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I like 9th Wonder's idea of making contemporary or traditional hip hop a separate subgenre. Similar to how there are multiple radio stations that do various forms of traditional r&b (quiet storm, for instance). Those were the stations that often also had morning shows older black people listened to, from Tom Joyner whoever the local black personality in your city was. This should also coincide with new Grammy categories for traditional rap. Best Rap would be for modern artists (Drake/Kendrick/Uzi/Future/Baby/Meg/etc). Traditional Rap would be similar to the Traditional R&B Grammy category,

Adding a traditional option for albums and songs would basically give a lot of legendary artists an opportunity to get the sales/interest boost that the Grammys provides. And if there's an infrastructure for throwback rap on radio, it also gives them the ability to reach media. I don't expect Rakim to be on podcasts in 2024. But if we had more radio shows like Sway's then that would be the perfect place for those guys to go.

kwazzy100

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I get the logic but it just kinda sounds pretentious and will inevitably spark debate and disagreement over what qualifies and why.
I do understand that, and like others said, it'll just be the same as 90s rap music, but as we're getting older, we're witnessing the Hip-hop industry gearing towards a newer and younger demographic. Ive been feeling a disconnect from this state of Hip-Hop for a while. It's nice to hear rappers from our time still make good music still maturing rather than appealing to the youth all the time. I don't wanna hear no trendy rap beats that sound the same and random rappers coming out of nowhere just trying to get clout, I wanna finally hear what my favorite artists to expand their sound and be introspective.